Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

3 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Need freshwater fish help--ASAP!!!!

Hi,

You can try it - but I gaurantee it will throw up more gunk into the tank than the gravel cleaner method.

I don't know what a whisper filter is but if it has a sponge then clean that in the water you have removed from the tank rather than fresh - to protect the beneficial bacteria mentioned above.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    When you add fresh water, I hope you used a product on that water that both removes chlorine and chloramine, you will stir up the bottom "stuff" but it will settle down eventually. Only do a 10% to 15% water change and no more than once a week. The "stuff" is fish/snail poop that has been, or is being broken down by good bacteria. Good bacteria for you fish that is. You don't want to remove all that stuff, and honestly you can't without destroying your tanks ecosystem, plus the "stuff" would still be there. You might consider live plants like Java Ferns, the roots now have something to grow into and that will hold the "stuff" down so less will be disturbed by water changes.

Snails really create more pollution than they are worth and unless you have a fish that feeds on them as their primary food source (and you don't seem to have any of those), I would work on getting rid of them (suck them up when you siphon during water changes).

When adding water, don't pour directly onto the gravel, pour it along the side of the tank so that it more gently mixes with existing water and you will disturb the bottom less. You might also consider changing the filter on you Whisper after you change the water so the new filters can catch more of the floating debris.

Post some pics of the tank, it sound nice.

PEACE

Thanks

I don't wanna get rid of the snails! I love them. I think they're so funny. And they're pretty--I love when they attach onto stuff, and then let go to move elsewhere and just float around in circles
    I've tried cleaning out the snails before. I feel awful killing them. If they do harm to my tank, I don't want to kill them...do you think I could put them in a separate tank and fill it with gravel and plants? I really, really like them. I don't know why. I pity the ugly things, and these snails are so ugly they're cute.
    The whisper filter is a filter system that uses black spongey cartridges to suck out junk in the tank.
    I have nothing to treat the new water with except for a tiny bottle from the pet store. I used it when I first set my tank up. However, after reading the bottle just now, it says I can use it while the fish are in there, OR I can move them elsewhere. Should I use that on the water?
    I will post pics in a moment.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks

This is what I've found works for me. I'm sure some people have different methods, but my fish are healthy and happy.

A freshwater tank should be cleaned once every 2 weeks or so. With a small 20 gallon tank you can use a gravel vacuum and clean the gravel while getting the water out. I usually change 30% of the water. The new water should be dechlorinated before adding it to the tank. You can pick up a dechlorinator at any pet store. You can add it directly to the tank, but I usually add it to the water in the bucket before I put it in the tank. Make sure the water you're adding is the same temperature as the tank water. The filter sponge can be rinsed out under warm water to clear out all the gunk, but not on the same day you change the water. Also, never do a 100% water change or clean out/wash/or rinse out the gravel. The filter does not keep your tank clean, it's all the good bacteria living in the filter and in the gravel that keeps the ammonia from all the fish poo and uneaten food down to a manageable level. This is why you cycle a tank at the beginning, to get all that good bacteria in the tank alive and well before you add fish.

It's not too late to help your fish. Just start doing regular water changes and they'll be fine. Regular water changes get rid of the ammonia and the byproducts of the good bacteria making the water healthy for the fish. Make sure to get the dechloriator because chlorine is toxic to fish and your drinking water has it.

Also, all the gunk that is stirred up is not a big deal. If the water looks cloudy or dirty it shouldn't hurt your fish. Fish live in muddy water all over the world. But if you're worried about it focus your cleaning on one side of the tank one week, and one side of the tank the next week to keep the gunk down. It will settle back to the bottom in a couple hours.

Also, when you go to the pet store see if you can pick up a canister filter. It's basically a separate filter that sits next to the tank. It's got a system of filters and sponges and material for the good bacteria to grow on. Don't let the petstore sell you "carbon" or a filter that uses carbon. Carbon is only useful for removing medicines from the water. It's not so great for you fish. The biggest thing to remember is that if you keep the good bacteria in the tank healthy, it takes care of your water and keeps your fish healthy.

Hope this helps! I've kept freshwater for a while, and this is what works for me.
    Last edited by crapwhereaminow; 10-02-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Boys: Pied, enchi het. hypo, cinnamon
    Girls: Mojave, black pewter het. hypo
    Others: SSP, (2)Jungles, (2)gtp, bredli, 88% IJ Jag, SD Anery Retic, hoggie, Boelens, Coastal, SD sunfire retic
    Others with legs: Panther cham, monitor, big giant blonde drunk frat boy of a golden retriever
    On the way: Iran Jaya, Butter het. hypo, spider 50% het clown, (3) possible het clowns, (maybe) blue line chondro

Thanks

Unhappy

I agree with this
    only do a 10% to 15% water change and no more than once a week.
    It is good advise. A canister filter is also good advise, however "Carbon" is important in a canister filter. You want specifically activated carbon. It "polishes" the water making it clear not yellowish or brownish, it also pulls out the "smell" of the fish tank. It can also remove heavy metals from your tap water and as previously stated medicines from the water. Carbon is a useful addition to your tank filtration system. But it must be changed out at least monthly.

Just remember when dealing with your fish tank the problems didn't happen overnight. Your "fix" shouldn't either. You should also purchase a test kit that tests ammonia, PH, nitrate and nitrite. Then test your water weekly before your 10% water changes. This will help you stay ontop of what is going on in your tank. Once you have a good maintnance schedual and you have a handle on your levels in your tank you can back off to testing once every 2 weeks or so.

Good luck with your tank!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    With the feeding, since no one mentioned much about that...

If you feed as the food containers state, you're over-feeding. The general rule I always used was to feed a fish the amount to size of it's eyeball(more or less). That's a very small amount compared to what most folks feed a fish, so check the amount you give them next feeding. Fish can eat a lot more than they need, they just poo a lot more.

Some fish actually get less nutrition from too much food(I had this with baby seahorses in fact) when their system pushed the food through too quickly to absorb nutrients properly.

Like others said, don't worry about the tank looking cloudy when you're changing water, it's generally supposed to look like that when you're stirring up the dirty parts. It'll clear out quickly. With you doing proper maintance, I'm sure it'll be at peak conditions soon! But it's not overnight, so be patient and soon your tank should be sparkly clean and you'll be able to relax! Good luck!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    I have test strips that test the PH balance. I use them frequently. It's been normal, all across the board.
    :/ I have NOT been feeding the amount equal to their eyeball. I generally sprinkle a few tropical flakes in the tank, then put some algae wafers (for the flying fox, though I don't think he's eating them. little booger), and some sinking pellets.
    The flying fox prefers the food that sinks. However, he's been getting aggressive which everyone at pet stores has been saying is due to him competing for food (algae), so I bought wafers...
    How often should I feed the eyeball amount to the fish?
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Photos of my tank:

2.3 normal ball pythons

Thanks
    I just added those decorations yesterday, I had ones before but I wanted to change it. What do you think of the colors?
    2.3 normal ball pythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

so your tank probably is relying on the gravel somewhat for bio filtration.
    What I recommend is you take out half the gravel and rinse it really well with either TANK water or dechlorinated lukewarm tap water. That way you won't kill the bacteria coating the gravel.
    Put it back in the tank and wait two weeks before taking the other half of the gravel out for a good rinsing.
    Once the gravel is all cleaned, in the future you want to stir up the gravel when you do a water change.
    Part of what you are smelling is the nasty gases that anaerobic bacteria produce. When gravel is not stirred up for a long time it gets compacted and oxygen doesn't get down in there. That kills the good bacteria and allows anerobic bacteria to grow.
    Good luck!
    Augie 1.0.0 Lemon Pastel BP
    Rio 1.0.0 South Brazilian BCA
    Blaze 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast