Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,473

1 members and 3,472 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Red face Interested in getting an GTP, ETB, or an amazon tree boa.

I was interested in getting either a GTP ETB or an ATB, Ive got experience in snakes, currently have two ball pythons, and a 5 and a half foot red tail. <3 I love them all to death, and I find all of them to be gorgeous. But I was looking at more of a "display" snake, as most people would call them. I was wondering what peoples views on these 3 snakes are, and which you would prefer.

Thanks! leave some feedback please guys.

Thanks
    Well for one, don't expect this venture to be cheap, i just moved up to GTP's and my first setup with snake was about $750. Arboreal snakes are awesome snakes and yes he is always hanging out in view, plus hes in my room, so as i type, i look over to his cage to enjoy the display aspect.

I would avoid Emerald Tree Boas for a first Arboreal as they can be difficult to keep and many have been known to just die, without any signs of illness and the perfect conditions.

Amazons and GTP's are two great choices, but it depends on the coloration you want. I chose a GTP cause i love the green they have, plus mine is a very rich green (picture included in post). If you have some more money, you can get a high yellow, mite phase, or other morph GTP's, but they can be a few thousand dollars for a full grown animal.

Also you can either buy an adult as i did to avoid any parasite issues or feeding issues, plus when you buy a baby you NEVER know what they will look like when full grown. Having a red or yellow neonate and seeing it change into a completely different animal is a good experience though, but depends on what you want to do.

It's kind of a myth about how mean they are, most just have a very strong feeding response, so as long as you teach them your the caregiver, they are usually fine with handling.

6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveboos For This Useful Post:

blushingball419 (01-26-2011),jason221 (09-29-2010)

Thanks

Re: Interested in getting an GTP, ETB, or an amazon tree boa.

I have heard that etbs are less forgiving of husbandry mistakes than the other species you mentioned. Amazons are neat, and for the most part will cost a bit less than a gtp. However, I have never worked with them so I don't have much else to add to that. You can check out moreliaviridis.yuku.com or the Amazon-Alliance for specific info on these species.
    I agree that you could easily spend around $700-$800 on a gtp with set up, that is not unreasonable, but you could also spend much less. The gtps that I currently own range from under $300 to just over $600, and I make my own cages so I save some money there. I think you would be fine buying a neo as long is it came from a reputable breeder. However if you get one this young you are taking a gamble on final adult color and gender, as they cannot be sexed under a year of age. Personally, I would go for a yearling (or slightly younger) - they are feeding and established, sometimes sexed, not quite finished changing, and cheaper than an adult (ready to breed) of equal quality.

These are two of my cheaper animals - I bet you couldn't tell.

Thanks
    I have to agree with them On keeping these species, I have kept and still have Amazons, and etb's and have noticed that is easier to keep the amazons and that its a little cheaper food wise and setup wise and yes the amazons are a little more forgiving when it comes to mistakes we make as keepers, humidity, heat, etc.

Thanks
    Our green trees aren't too bad when it comes to being forgiving with husbandry, but they're far less forgiving than something like a redtail or a ball. Do LOTS of research before getting any of those, and be aware that none of them have a reputation for being nearly as handleable as either of the species you own.

There are exceptions and you can find pictures of people smiling and holding their emeralds, green trees, and amazons, but the majority of them aren't like that. They're still pretty freakin' cool though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Pythons all the way.

Nothing beats the Morelia genus either

Thanks
    green tree pythons are aweswome looking but a amazon tree boa is alot cheaper and also carpet pythons do the whole perch on a branch all day thing too. but emerald tree boas just facinate me. i want one so bad. but i've heard they can pass away for no reason and also have huge fangs but non of that really scares me
    A bunch of carpet pythons!
    I guess fake is the new real ?

Thanks

Re: Interested in getting an GTP, ETB, or an amazon tree boa.

Quote Originally Posted by gman8585 View Post
    green tree pythons are aweswome looking but a amazon tree boa is alot cheaper and also carpet pythons do the whole perch on a branch all day thing too. but emerald tree boas just facinate me. i want one so bad. but i've heard they can pass away for no reason and also have huge fangs but non of that really scares me
    I wanted a GTP for my first snake but I am glad I didn't go that route. My inexperience at the time would have been unfair and potentially harmful to the snake.

Arboreal snakes are very awesome and that is why I ended up going with a Bredli for my first. Bredli are very forgiving and easy to maintain. Its pretty cool to watch them climb around and coil up like a rope draped over a branch.

Someday I hope to add a GTP to my brood but I gotta get through a year or two of this RTB first.
    Last edited by Slyther83; 01-30-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    0.1 werewolf killer retic
    1.0 dwarf doublehet snow retic
    0.1 tiger white phase retic
    1.0 purple phase retic
    0.1 platinum tiger retic
    1.0 platinum retic
    0.1 hypo pastel BCI
    0.1 guyana BCC

1.0 bull terrier

3 Sentec cages @ 96x30x22.5