Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

4 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

180 Gallon Tank Ideas

I have a 180 gallon tank that has fish in it and I was looking into getting a snake of some sort so I am just doing some research before I just get something I dont know anything about... I would like to know if the size of tank I have is good for having maybe two snakes something that is not nocturnal and non aggressive along the lines of a python or boa.. so any suggestions and info woulod be much appreciated thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Miketyler; 09-19-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    180 gallon tank is huge.... that would house anything you could afford lol... and way to big for alot of snakes.... but far as calm.... rosy boa and ball python... but u have to much room for that... unless you put a ton of cover in it!

Thanks

Re: 180 Gallon Tank Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Miketyler View Post
    I have a 180 gallon tank that has fish in it and I was looking into getting a snake of some sort so I am just doing some research before I just get something I dont know anything about... I would like to know if the size of tank I have is good for having maybe two snakes something that is not nocturnal and non aggressive along the lines of a python or boa.. so any suggestions and info woulod be much appreciated thanks in advance...

180 gallons is pretty big, some sort of red tail boa would fit in something like that nicely, only problem with aquariums that are meant for fish are they don't hold humidity / heat well not to mention when you have a snake as large as one that will fit in that tank, you don't really want to be reaching from above to get them out, you'd want a front opening tank, although I suppose it could work fine.

Also never house snakes together, always separately, they're solitary creatures by nature, they enjoy being alone. being housed together often just causes stress/dominance/and often unwanted mating.

Second thought though: You COULD divide the tank in half with some kind of panel and make two 3 foot x 2 foot cages and house two snakes, both separately, and if you used glass or plexi to divide you wouldn't even really notice the divided space and it would look like one cage. You could make one really awesome looking mini "rainforest" habitat type setup like that. And with a 3 foot x 2 foot cage you could house a ball python (although they hide a lot so they're not exactly the best "display" animal) or some sort of dwarf boa (they're more apt to be seen as they quite enjoy perching in branches and trees, especially when young).

Most boas and pythons are nocturnal, Boas may be out of their hides during the day, but they kind of just.. sit there for the most part.

Carpet Pythons are semi-arboreal and quite enjoy perching in branches and are more apt to be seen during the day, really pretty looking animals, although I'm not quite sure they're the best beginner snake, they tend to be quite nippy when little from what I've read and seen.
    0.1 het Albino Super Dwarf/Jampea Reticulated Python
    0.1 Super Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.4 Normal Ball Python
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Fire Ball Python
    0.1 Spider Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Ivory Spider Ball Python

Facebook - Add me =D

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alexOATH For This Useful Post:

Miketyler (09-20-2010)

Thanks

that is a pretty big cage that would be a awsome cage for a carpet python they can be a beginner snake but babys can be a little nippy but if your worried just wear gloves and u can get it tamed down in a few days maybe. and carpets love extra room and mine seem to be active during the day somtimes. but if you provide trees mine tend to hang in there instead of hide but ever one has a snake thats right for them this is just my opinion
    Last edited by kalashnikov; 09-20-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks

yea, you could keep anything in it. just slap a UTH on one end and top it with plexiglass to keep humidity in.

Thanks

Wow thanks for all the replies Just joined this site and I think its great a lot of knowledge to get. I will post picks after of what im gonna do.... I have to say that I am leaning towards the rain-forest way something really cool......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

I would suggest a single Dumerils boa. They aren't quite as shy so 180gal might not be too much room, especial since they mature around 5-6 feet or so. And they are good beginner snakes and tend to be rather docile. Just find a good way to maintain the proper humidity and you'd be good to go. Someone suggested a rainforest-type habitat and I think that would be quite lovely. Just remember, the more stuff you have in there, the more stuff you need to clean...
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?