Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

2 members and 3,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

HELP!! Newbie here

well, my roomie left me a collection of BPs, instead of paying what he owed and I could really use some help, I've been the one taking care of them for the past 6-8 months and am really getting into it, some of them are really cool looking. They are supposedly all breeding pairs/groups or something like that and I wanted to find out how hard it was to get them breeding and maybe paying me back for what he left me out of. They are all in a bin set up with belly heat, but I'm not sure how to check the humidity.
    I've been researching ALOT and would like some info.
    this is what I have, sexes were checked at Ben Seigel's, awesome people there.
    a pair of VPI Axanthics - 1120g/1430g
    male pinstripe 680g
    a pair of Albinos 840g/1350g
    female 100% Het Albino 1280g
    male Blonde Pastel 610g
    female Normal 1540g
    I found out how often to feed (can you over feed them?), how warm to keep them and all that,
    but I was wondering who should be bred with whom?
    the genetics thing has my head spinning and I'm a bit confused as to what I should be doing about getting them breeding.
    Last edited by helmethead; 09-16-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: HELP!! Newbie here

Quote Originally Posted by helmethead View Post
    well, my roomie left me a collection of BPs, instead of paying what he owed and I could really use some help, I've been the one taking care of them for the past 6-8 months and am really getting into it, some of them are really cool looking. They are supposedly all breeding pairs/groups or something like that and I wanted to find out how hard it was to get them breeding and maybe paying me back for what he left me out of. They are all in a bin set up with belly heat, but I'm not sure how to check the humidity.
    I've been researching ALOT and would like some info.
    this is what I have, sexes were checked at Ben Seigel's, awesome people there.
    male/female VPI Axanthics - 1120g/1430g
    male pinstripe 680g
    a pair of Albinos 840g/1350g
    female 100% Het Albino 1280g
    male Blonde Pastel 610g
    female Normal 1540g
    I found out how often to feed, how warm to keep them and all that,
    but I was wondering who should be bred with whom?
    the genetics thing has my head spinning and I'm a bit confused as to what I should be doing about getting them breeding.
    I would definitely breed the VPI Axanthics to each other. Offspring would either come out as Axanthic or 100% hets/ You could breed the Albino male to both the Het and Albino female, but I would breed him to the Het only (get possible Albinos or at least Pos 66% hets, correct me if I'm wrong) and then breed the male Pin to the Female Albino and hopefully get some Pin's het for Albino that could be bred back to your Albino's down the line to get some albino Pins. You could also breed any of the males to the normal, the blonde pastel x normal, pin x normal would give you a 50% chance for a pastel or pin per egg. Breeding the Albino or Axanthic to your normal female would give each offspring a 50% posibililty of being het. The first thing you'll need to do is get your females up to around 1500 grams though. And furthermore, it is going to take time to get back any money your owed.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Registered User ShaolinShadowBoxer's Avatar
    Thanks

thats an awsome collection you got yourself! hope your breeding plans work out, goodluck!!

Thanks
    Holy crap, how much did this guy owe you? lol!
    0.1 Ball Python - Guinness
    1.0 Spider Ball Python - Gizmo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PghBall View Post
    I would definitely breed the VPI Axanthics to each other. Offspring would either come out as Axanthic or 100% hets/ You could breed the Albino male to both the Het and Albino female, but I would breed him to the Het only (get possible Albinos or at least Pos 66% hets, correct me if I'm wrong) and then breed the male Pin to the Female Albino and hopefully get some Pin's het for Albino that could be bred back to your Albino's down the line to get some albino Pins. You could also breed any of the males to the normal, the blonde pastel x normal, pin x normal would give you a 50% chance for a pastel or pin per egg. Breeding the Albino or Axanthic to your normal female would give each offspring a 50% posibililty of being het. The first thing you'll need to do is get your females up to around 1500 grams though. And furthermore, it is going to take time to get back any money your owed.
    Actually if you breed two Axanthics together all the offspring will be Axanthics and if you breed an albino to anything all the offspring are at least 100% het's. Basically if you breed two homozygous animals together all offspring will be homozygous for that trait and if either parent is homozygous for a trait all offspring will be heterozygous for that trait. The only time you get possible hets is from het to het or het to normal pairings. Here is a great page for genetic questions on the outcome of a pairing http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard
    Last edited by jason79; 09-16-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jason79 View Post
    Actually if you breed two Axanthics together all the offspring will be Axanthics and if you breed an albino to anything all the offspring are at least 100% het's. Basically if you breed two homozygous animals together all offspring will be homozygous for that trait and if either parent is homozygous for a trait all offspring will be heterozygous for that trait. The only time you get possible hets is from het to het or het to normal pairings. Here is a great page for genetic questions on the outcome of a pairing http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks

i would pair up the axanthics and the albinos then take ur blonde pastel and/or pinstripe and breed those to the het albino to get pastel het albinos and/or pinstripe het albinos that u can eventually breed to ur albinos whiich will give u albino pins or albino pastels thats wat i would do and the normal u could breed to either the pastel or the pin as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason79 View Post
    thanks for the advise and the great link, hadn't found that one in my research.
    ok, I'll fatten up the girls to 1500 grams, will do.
    my biggest problem right now is being deathly afraid of pairing my normal girl with anyone. she's ALWAYS hungry and I read somewhere that sometimes, when pairing snakes together, one might EAT the other, holy crap!
    how do I give the male a fighting chance, should I feed her before I introduce them? like I said, she's ALWAYS hungry, I could feed her every day and she'd still be looking for more.

and yes he owed me alot, but I still haven't figured out what the snakes are worth since I can't find prices on any females. I can find prices on all the males, but not on the females, I guess no one ever sells any this big. kingsnake and faunaclassifieds has lots of pricing, but....

thanks again, to everyone

Thanks
    I'm relatively new to BP's and haven't done anything with breeding, but my guess would be that a snake that has a rat in it's stomach isn't exactly going to be in the mood immediately after.

I'd suggest at least a day before if not more between feeding and introducing, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will correct me.

Thanks

Wow I'm not sure how much your roomie left you out of in terms of money but it sounds like to me, even one good clutch of babies from that collection would more than cover it, lol.