Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,194

2 members and 3,192 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,554
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot

Thread: Spider Feeding?

Thanks

Spider Feeding?

So i just fed my new baby spider a hopper mouse and the first time i fed her i was not in the room when she struck but it seemed like she had no problems
    today when i put in the mouse i decided to sit and watch her strike look for the infamous wobble while eating well needless to say she struck and missed multiple times hitting the tub. i was curious if this is bad that she has such horrible aim? i know she can hurt herself from hitting the tub but i checked her shes fine and im about to feed her the second mouse to see how she does this time hopefully better 2nd time around

Thanks

Re: Spider Feeding?

are you feeding live? or f/t?

0.1 Spider
    0.1 Cinnamon
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Butter Pastel het OG
    1.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rhodesian Ridgeback

Thanks

I feed my spider girl P/K or F/T on tongs, and it often takes her several tries to get the prey.... but she always does eventually. I don't really see a wobble, though, but she does seem to have pretty bad aim.
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks

live i was thinking about maybe switching to p/k cuz i cant go through all the f/t right now thats too much work for me i feed all my other snakes live im thinking since she has this wobble maybe i should only feed her p/k

Thanks

I've had no problems with my Spider (knock on wood). His first meal was a rat fuzzy which he struck, constricted and ate in less than 5 minutes. I then tried f/t and he ate them just as quick. I don't use tongs (should I?) and just place the mouse in another feeding container. I place my Spider in, he cruises the tub, finds the hopper and strikes. He doesn’t constrict the f/t, he just starts swallowing from the head.

f/t really is much easier and safer for my Spider.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wendhend View Post
    I feed my spider girl P/K or F/T on tongs, and it often takes her several tries to get the prey.... but she always does eventually. I don't really see a wobble, though, but she does seem to have pretty bad aim.
    That lack of aim IS the wobble. Mild, but always present in some way.

@ OP: I suggest F/T, and making sure it's very hot, and don't wiggle it too fast, the less they have to aim, the better for them.

Thanks

ok well a lil update i went in after a couple minutes and she was striking and missing so i pulled the mouse out killed it then put all her stuff back in and laid the mouse in on top of her hide and then left came back and the mouse was gone so i can only hope that she simply swallowed it i guess thats how i will do this from now on

my pastel boy on the other hand pounds down those mice but today he had a big one so he took it slow after striking it hard

Pastel boy is on 1 small adult mouse every wednesday
    spider girl is on 2 hopper mice every wednesday
    is this good or should i make it more frequent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
    I've had no problems with my Spider (knock on wood). His first meal was a rat fuzzy which he struck, constricted and ate in less than 5 minutes. I then tried f/t and he ate them just as quick. I don't use tongs (should I?) and just place the mouse in another feeding container. I place my Spider in, he cruises the tub, finds the hopper and strikes. He doesn’t constrict the f/t, he just starts swallowing from the head.

f/t really is much easier and safer for my Spider.
    I'd highly suggest it. The main reason is that your hands will pick up the scent of the rat. It's a lot more likely to lead to a bite when you go to pick up the snake. As far as he knows, it's a warm object moving that smells like rat.

Thanks
    My spider sometimes never misses. Other times she strikes a couple of times before geting it right. There's nothing abnormal about your spider, that is the wobble/spinning effect.