Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,424

2 members and 2,422 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

2 weeks and still hes not eating

m not sure whats wrong with him.His temps are good 91 hot side cool side 80.Humidity around 55 60%The breeder said he was feeding him live pinkies and thats what i have been trying to give him.He seems not interested just smells it and turns the other way.He doesn't even strike at it.I even stopped holding him for a week because i was told thats best for him to get used to his new home.He shows no signs of shedding either
    im kinda of worried thats hes not eating,He is a baby about 4 months old i believe The pinkies really dont move much so i have to feed him myself,i kept it in there for a few hours and nothing.Im pretty sure he didnt know it was there because the pinkie cant move much,but he didnt even react to it when i was trying to feed him.Any advice would be great.Im not sure if i should be worried or not at this point...

Also can a snake be to tamed? I was told that my snake seems "to tamed" I never heard of this before.He is very very sweet you can touch his head without him being head shy and even give him kisses( I know i know your thinking what the hell lol) but hes so friendly and a few people said that thats not good? Ugh i dont know sorry for the long post i just wish he would eat!!

I put him in a separate room when trying to feed him and i always try at night.Im not sure if maybe i should try a fuzzie instead of a pinkie. Someone told me to leave the fuzzie in there for 24 hours but im not sure if the fuzzie can hurt him at that age.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: 2 weeks and still hes not eating

Your snake could very easily be eating small adult mice. There is no need to move him to a separate room to feed him. You can feed him in his enclosure too. How often are you handling him? I would not handle him very often if he is not eating for you. Try a small adult mouse but do not leave the mouse in the enclosure with the snake for to long in case he does not eat it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python1024 View Post
    Your snake could very easily be eating small adult mice. There is no need to move him to a separate room to feed him. You can feed him in his enclosure too. How often are you handling him? I would not handle him very often if he is not eating for you. Try a small adult mouse but do not leave the mouse in the enclosure with the snake for to long in case he does not eat it.
    Well when i first got him i was handling him everyday for about 20 min,then i was told not to handle him for at least week,Its been a little more then a week now.I tryed last night and he didn't even seem interested at all.

Thanks

Over handling can stress a snake out. If I were you I would give him a week without trying to feed him or handle him.

Thanks
    How big is your enclosure? Too big of a tank could stress the snake out too. I would try a live small adult or hopper also after a week of only disturbing the snake to ensure correct husbandry. As far as the friendliness, never heard of it being a bad thing, Two of my snakes are extremely friendly also

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corgigirl9 View Post
    How big is your enclosure? Too big of a tank could stress the snake out too. I would try a live small adult or hopper also after a week of only disturbing the snake to ensure correct husbandry. As far as the friendliness, never heard of it being a bad thing, Two of my snakes are extremely friendly also
    Hes in a 20 gallon tank

Thanks

You may need to clutter up that 20 gallon tank a little so the little guy doesn't feel so insecure about so much space. What kind of hides are you using, are they identical?

Thanks

ive had some that would not eat in a large tank, i would try moving him to a shoe box for a little while then try to feed it a small mouse or hopper, just open the lid drop it in, if its a live one stand back and watch for the snake to eat it do not leave a hopper or small mouse in over night or with out supervision.
    I want one I need one got to rob that bank one day

1.1 albino ball, 0.3 het caramel, 1.1 spider, 0.1 mojo, 1.0 lesser, 2.2 pastel
    1.0 yb, 1.0 fire, 1.0 bell orange ghost, 0.1 pin, 1.0 josey, 1.2 leopard ball
    0.8 normal balls, 1.1 BRB, 1.3 Hondo, 1.1 hypo brooks, 1.1 brooks (hets ?)
    0.1 mex black king, 3.5 western hogs/albino/yellow/hets.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Here is what I would do...

First of all STOP any handling, moving and disturbing whatsoever. Only get in the tank to remove waste, or change water, if needed.

That snake has been handled way to much right from the get go. Even if tame, doesn't mean its not really stressed.

I would make the back and sides of the tank "solid" meaning hanging a dark sheet over it, the top as well, making the tank seem more of a cave. Also have a hide in hot and cold spot, too. Stop disturbing him or trying to move him for feeding.

Let the snake relax like this for at least a week. If he has eaten before, it won't hurt him at all not to eat for a few weeks, its much worse to keep trying and keep handling all the time, the snake will never get to relax and feel safe. Don't handle until the snake is an established eater, and then go slow...

Pinkie Mice seem way to small of a food item, your snake could probably easily eat a small mouse, unless he has never eaten well before. Try at least a weanling mouse of fuzzy rat, live.

Put it in the tank and leave the room (unless its an adult rodent that can do damage, then you have to stay nearby and supervise) The snake won't eat till he feels safe. He won't feel safe if he is constantly bothered for some reason or another.

And don't worry...he will eat and it won't hurt to skip a couple of weeks. Unless he is skinny and looking "bad", then you would have to find a vet to see if there are some internal parasites, etc...

Can you post a quick pic before you put him into "isolation" ?
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python1024 View Post
    You may need to clutter up that 20 gallon tank a little so the little guy doesn't feel so insecure about so much space. What kind of hides are you using, are they identical?
    its cluttered i dont even have enough room to put another bowl in there for his moss.So i just put the moss on the ground and mist it to keep humidity up He does have two hides tress big water dish and a branch to climb up on.One thing is the two are hides are different.Is that a problem?I did not know i need two of the same =/ Its the same size just looks different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast