Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,617

2 members and 2,615 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Waterfall good or bad?

Alright so my whole thought is to have a somewhat realistic terrarium that my BP can enjoy. I know how to place the plants and all of the other husbandry stuff but I do have one question. Would a waterfall be ok if I can keep my humidity between 50-60? I plan on just making my own with hydraulic cement and a small pump. I really want it to have a basking spot on the top. Would this be a bad idea, and if so please explain.
    Jackwagon Exotics Check out our page on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jackwa...81135488588036

Thanks
    not too sure the pressure might force him under which might make him drown its really not worth it just cause of the looks

Thanks

Re: Waterfall good or bad?

Probably a good thing. We've been running one for over 10 years in a ball python display. You've got to build it so it is serviceable so you can get to the pump to clean or replace it when needed but the ball python can't. Also the edges need to be tight fitting against the top, bottom, and sides. If the ball python can get his head behind it he will force his way behind it and maybe do some damage so he can have a nice, tight hide. It needs to be easy to clean because the snake will relieve himself in it requiring a thorough cleaning. It is a great way to help the humidity in a display set-up and usually an attractive addition. One more thing, if you've got hard water, you will want to use distilled or R/O water to avoid water spots all over the inside of your display. Good luck and have fun with it!
    - Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PiedPeddler For This Useful Post:

RideRed12 (09-02-2010)

Thanks

Good to hear, my plan is to make it a water feature/hide with the pump hidden in the structure so it can only be seen when I take the whole feature out. Do you think the noise of the pump will keep him from using this as a hide or is the hide a bad idea?

Other info, I plan on starting with a foam block as a base. Ill carve it in a corner so its tight then cover it with hydraulic cement to shape, mold rocks, plants and other things into it. I plan on having a pond like bottom so it pools and he can soak. Any suggestions on anything else?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PiedPeddler View Post
    Probably a good thing. We've been running one for over 10 years in a ball python display. You've got to build it so it is serviceable so you can get to the pump to clean or replace it when needed but the ball python can't. Also the edges need to be tight fitting against the top, bottom, and sides. If the ball python can get his head behind it he will force his way behind it and maybe do some damage so he can have a nice, tight hide. It needs to be easy to clean because the snake will relieve himself in it requiring a thorough cleaning. It is a great way to help the humidity in a display set-up and usually an attractive addition. One more thing, if you've got hard water, you will want to use distilled or R/O water to avoid water spots all over the inside of your display. Good luck and have fun with it!
    - Paul

Any tips on how you made yours?

Thanks

I dont plan on it being a forceful waterfall, just a gentle trickle or small drop off.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp625 View Post
    not too sure the pressure might force him under which might make him drown its really not worth it just cause of the looks

Thanks

It will probably be useless. I doubt he'd spend any time in it or 'enjoy' it in any sort of way.

In fact, he'll probably poop in it, and cleaning that out completely would be difficult and more work than necessary. Poop will probably also kill the motor in the waterfall system.

If you want a waterfall, get a pacman frog or some poison dart frogs. I'm sure they'd love it. Ball pythons don't generally interact with items that people often put in the enclosure to make it more "natural". Most discover that they're happy with a water bowl, hide, and substrate.. and that's pretty much all they need unless you want to clean more.

Decorating with fake foliage is fine, but I think a waterfall is a little bit ridiculous for a ball python.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

RideRed12 (09-02-2010)

Thanks

Well it would be just more of a display thing, would it stress him out at all? Like the hum of the motor or would he be afraid of it?

Thanks
    If the water fall makes a lot of vibrations, it will most likely annoy your ball python and it may not use a hide if it is near it.
    Ball Pythons:
    0.1.0 Bumble Bee- Schnapps
    0.1.0 Pinstripe- Penny
    0.1.0 Super Cinnamon- Cleo
    0.1.0 Albino- Daiquiri
    0.1.0 Low White Piebald- Hershey
    1.0.0 Low White Piebald- Reese
    1.0.0 Paradox Super Cinnamon- Dash
    1.0.0 100% Het. Albino- Jester
    1.0.0 50% Het. Albino Jake

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have one in a cage with the tiger salamanders, and when ever I loose a bp in that room I find it in a week or so in their cage in the waterfall. The salamanders tank is a 55 gallon fish tank and the top is open in the back where the filters use to be. The waterfall is on one side of the tank, nothing fancy but makes a nice sound. Basically the bp's seam to like something about it because I have found them soaking in the base of it the two times I have lost one (not the same snake twice).
    I've always been a boa girl at heart.
    Where reptiles are not just apart of our lives, they are our lives.
    They are Living art.

www.boasandballs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast