Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

2 members and 3,267 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Retained Eye Caps

So, I had to take my bp in to the vet today and had him look at her eyes while I was there. She likes really high humidity (as in, will turn over her water bowl everywhere if it's not high enough) so I keep the humidity in her cage around 80-85%, but she still has dents in her eye scales. When she sheads, I can find the piece from her head and the eye caps are there...but it's been at least 5 sheads and she'll still get dented eye caps even at 80% + humidity levels. The vet said that retained caps can in effect "stack" up, so while she always sheads one, there may have been two that were old. (make sense?) He reccommended getting "natural tear" eyedrops (like at walmart) and trying that to keep her eyes moist, so hopefully she can shead ALL the ones that might be stacked up. I was just wondering if any of yall had any other suggestions? If the vet has to try and remove them, (not to mention the cost...) he said he'd prob. have to use a needle to try and flake the old caps off. (He said he hates doing this because he's always concerned about sticking the needle into the eye instead of just old caps, but also said that he's gotten up to 7 old caps off one eye at one time.) I'm of course gonna try the eyedrops first, but don't want to have to resort to the vet going at my girl's eye with a needle....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks
    No one??? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks

Re: Retained Eye Caps

do u have a pciture of ur snakes eye? that would help. retained eyecaps are really easy to see.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

How and where are you taking the humidity readings?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpkeelee View Post
    do u have a pciture of ur snakes eye? that would help. retained eyecaps are really easy to see.
    Well, my camera sucks so I don't think it'd show up even on a picture. The vet had to angle a light just right to see the indention. It kinda just looks like a fuzzy white-ish crease...

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

How and where are you taking the humidity readings?

dr del
    I use a digitatl temp. and humidity gage inside the tank to take humidity readings. I'm pretty sure it's taking the readings on the warm side of her tank, though her water bowl is on the cool side (if that helps). It's not a huge tub though...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpkeelee View Post
    The vet did say it was a retained cap though...so I think he knows what he's talking about...It's just wierd cuz every shead I see SOME kind of eye cap was shead...never missed one

Mainly just wanted any other "techniques" and/or advice about a good way to help her loose the extra cap(s) next shead...which should be in a week or so

Thanks
    Also, I know she's not dehydrated. I actually see her drinking often...today even. Plus, she pees everywhere, which is not cool when she's out on my bed watching tv with me...

I also let her "swim" in my bath tub at least once a week. I think it's the only "exercise" she gets , though she doesn't really do much in water or on land...

Thanks

thats wierd, i guess u could soak her in a tub for about thirty minutes, take a wet towel or washcloth and gently rub her eye. i dont really like messing with their eyes cuz its sensitive. or u could wait until the next shed and really crank up the humidity and see if that helps.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks

If you see the eye caps in the sheds then they aren't being retained. It puzzle's me to hear you say that you are seeing them every shed but a vet is telling you that the snake is retaining them. Can you get a second opinion? P.S. A pic of this would help out tremendously. It's tough for us to help out when we can't see the problem that you are having. I understand that you say your camera stinks but some type of pic would be better than nothing. Until then I think we are just taking shots in the dark with the problem. If the snakes eyeball is dented in I would also have to say humidity. Any time I have had a snake retain an eye cap I can see it without having to get the light just right. But you are doing the right thing by inspecting the sheds. I always look for the eye caps.
    Too many snakes to list. Ball pythons, Gtp's and Boa's. It easier to say it that way.

Thanks
    Has the snake ever had an injury to the eye? My female got a little scratch once and it looked like her eye was constantly in shed for like five sheds. Even now her eye looks blueish for a day or two after a shed.
    1.1 Classic Ball Pythons - Louise and Zeus
    1.0 Poss. Granite - D*ck
    1.0 Cane Corso - Benedetto
    1.0 ACD/GSD Mix - Dino
    1.0 Fat Cat - Jose

"It only happens if it doesn't matter."