Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,441

3 members and 3,438 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

New Gecko Rack Compliments of IKEA....

I just finished putting together my new leo rack I made from Ikea. The only thing is I was short 1 shelf so I have to go back and pick up one more. It holds 10 cb30 iris tubs and 15 13.5 qt iris tubs. This was my 1st atempt at building a rack so figured I build it for my leo's and see how it would come out. The frame(90$) and shelves(2 for 15$) are from ikea. I basically just put frame together as instructed by directions and then screwed the shelves right into frame to fit the size of the boxes I was using. Whole unit is heated by flex watt 11 inch for the cb30's and 4 inch for the 13.5 qt. Here are a few pics...

For the heat tape the bottom 5 levels I used the 11 inch heat tape and wired them all individually so I don't need to run every level if it is not needed. I secured the heat tape down and covered it with 6 in flashing to protect it from tubs sliding over it. Then just secured flashing down with foil tape. The top 5 levels I used the 4 in heat tape but wired all the levels together on one cord.

The final outcome minus the one shelf....

In the end it came out pretty good. Had a bunch of extra space but knew I would, could of cut all the shelves and frame to shrink it down but for this one was just trying a basic idea. The total for the whole thing not counting the thermostate was $300 with all the tubs and heat tape. I have my herpstate hooked up to it and so far everything is working just as it should. Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas on how to improve the design.
    Pat Jackson
    Action Reptiles
    www.ActionReptiles.com

"Life is a journey, Not a destination" Aerosmith

Thanks

Re: New Gecko Rack Compliments of IKEA....

I would strongly suggest putting a back board of some kind on your rack. Doing that will both square it up and keep it much more stable. Other than that it looks like a decent rack.

Thanks

Re: New Gecko Rack Compliments of IKEA....

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I would strongly suggest putting a back board of some kind on your rack. Doing that will both square it up and keep it much more stable. Other than that it looks like a decent rack.
    Thanks for the advise I am going to put a back on it just wanted to get the other shelf in 1st so I could wire it before putting the back on..
    Pat Jackson
    Action Reptiles
    www.ActionReptiles.com

"Life is a journey, Not a destination" Aerosmith