Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,566

1 members and 2,565 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

feeding and shedding frequency

My BP has been off feed for 2 weeks now (3 on thursday) and showed signs of shedding yesterday (pink belly and neck wrinkle). He has put on a little more than 100g since his last shed (ended 7 weeks ago) but did not go off feed last time when either shedding or going into shed. I have had him for almost 3 months and never had him skip a feed or even not have a bowel movement on schedule. I am assuming no rats in = no rats out, and am not that worried about him not eating as he has not lost any weight, but he is only 11 months old and he shouldn't be seasonally off feed yet, right?

All of his husbandry has been unchanged and spot on (save 1 power outage which lowered the temp to about 76 degrees for 2 hours) with ambient temps low 80s, cool side substrate high 70s, hot spot low 90s and humidity upper 50s. His tank and hides have remained the same, and I do not handle him very often (maybe 1/2 hour 2 times a week). He showed interest in the rat, both live and dead, but never struck (after I tried freshly killing the rat and offering it to him I found some sort of infestation on the rat so the snake might have sensed that it was unhealthy - and I did disinfect the rat container and the tank has already been treated with provent a mite).

Should I be worried about him not feeding? I figure the initial refusal could be due to the power outage and the later one due to an impending shed, so hopefully he'll be back to "normal" late next week, but does anyone think that I may want to look into a vet visit. He hasn't lost weight, holding steady between 500 and 510g; he just doesn't seem interested and is a little more ornery than usual (par for the course if he is going into shed).

Thanks!

BPQ

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: feeding and shedding frequency

As long as he is not losing weight I really see no reason to be worried. BP's will go off feed for various reasons. You can take him to a vet if it will make you feel better. Some snakes will eat while in shed and some will not. I have a baby BP that will not eat while in shed and lately he has been rather hissy. You can try to offer your snake a meal once he is done shedding and see what happens.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

bpqueen (08-30-2010)

Thanks
    If hes in shed you might not even see a bowel movement till he sheds. Thats how 2 of my snakes have been. They all eat during shedding but wont deficate till they shed and then its one hell of a mess. Going off feed is common with some snakes though. Could always try offering a smaller meal if that worried.
    Pythons
    1.2 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Ball Python

Boas
    1.0 Yellow Anaconda
    1.0 Albino Boa Constrictor
    0.1 Het Albino Boa Constrictor

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeKB For This Useful Post:

bpqueen (09-07-2010)

Thanks

Re: feeding and shedding frequency

My BP had a bowel movement the same day he was finished with his shed cycle. It was almost automatic! lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to boogerbob For This Useful Post:

bpqueen (09-07-2010)

Thanks
    Update: Day 9 of shed and day 26 off feed. He hasn't lost any weight (at 520g this afternoon) so just in a stalling pattern...I spotted him out of his hide last night, and I hope that he sheds as well as the last time.