Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,230

2 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

Thread: Quarantine?

Thanks

Quarantine?

I currently have a 2 year old corn snake, and next month I am getting a ball python. I will most likely get it from a reptile show. I keep hearing about putting snakes in quarantine. Is this necessary? I will be keeping both corn and ball in my room. Should I keep them in different rooms first?

Thanks
    Quarantine is always a good idea. If possible I would set up your new snake in a different room for at least a month.

When we quarantine we use a tub in a different room. We line the tub with paper towels give it a spray of mite killer put in a clean bowl and before the snake gets put in the tub we spray it down with natural relief mite spray. Then we watch the snake for any sicknesses or parasites. If the snake is going in our ball python room it is in quarantine for 60 days minimum and it is wormed a few days before I switch it over to it's permanent enclosure.

But since you will have these animals in seperate cages ( I assume anyway) in stead of a rack system a quick quarantine for 30 days should be good. You are basically checking to make sure the animal doesn't have external parasites or an RI before you put it in the same room as your healthy corn. I would continue to make sure the snakes don't come in contact with each other for another month or so after you move him into your room. Make sure you don't share water bowls or uneaten food between the two and wash your hands when you go from handling/cleaning one to the other.

Good luck with your new addition!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kellysballs For This Useful Post:

Tirevy (08-27-2010)

Thanks

Re: Quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by kellysballs View Post
    Quarantine is always a good idea. If possible I would set up your new snake in a different room for at least a month.

When we quarantine we use a tub in a different room. We line the tub with paper towels give it a spray of mite killer put in a clean bowl and before the snake gets put in the tub we spray it down with natural relief mite spray. Then we watch the snake for any sicknesses or parasites. If the snake is going in our ball python room it is in quarantine for 60 days minimum and it is wormed a few days before I switch it over to it's permanent enclosure.

But since you will have these animals in seperate cages ( I assume anyway) in stead of a rack system a quick quarantine for 30 days should be good. You are basically checking to make sure the animal doesn't have external parasites or an RI before you put it in the same room as your healthy corn. I would continue to make sure the snakes don't come in contact with each other for another month or so after you move him into your room. Make sure you don't share water bowls or uneaten food between the two and wash your hands when you go from handling/cleaning one to the other.

Good luck with your new addition!

Thanks so much!

Where can I get this mite spray? Would just any pet story carry it?