Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

4 members and 3,418 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

rescued snake...ned advice please

so a few weeks ago i was taken out the trash at my apartment complex and i found a young snake in a tank next to the dumpster. no one in sight anywhere. so i took the snake back to my place, they must have recently dumped him he wasn't skinny or anything. i took him to a vet and had him checked, all good health wise. and the snake has been eating fine. the whole time i have had him i have been able to handle him, thankfully considering snakes terrify me. anyways all of a sudden the last two days when i have reached to take him out he hisses at me everytime i touch him and then he gets in the strike position. any experienced snake owners know what may be wrong with him? thanks in advance and try not to bash me came here in hopes i wouldnt get bashed like i did elsewhere. no ive never had a snake because i am scared of them but i have a heart and couldnt leave him out there and he/she has been helping me get over my fears. so if anyone know how to help him out let me know please.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts
    The snake is definitely stressed right now so I would recommend that you leave it alone for atleast a week so it can get used to it's new enclosure, give it plenty of hides. Also if you can post a pic that would help us give you better info on the husbandry that it would need. Did the vet tell you what kind of snake it is?
    Also thank you for getting past you fears and helping an abandoned snake, very brave of you.

Thanks
    Since you said he was fine until recently, there's a chance he's going into shed... I know mine get cranky at that time (I call it snake PMS, LOL), and normally gentle snakes have bitten me while in shed. Do his eyes look cloudy and/or blue, and is the coloring a little darker with a pink belly? If so, those are sure signs he's about to shed. Oh yeah, and a photo of the snake & setup would be helpful too.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 08-26-2010 at 05:09 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: rescued snake...ned advice please

yea i second that the snake mite be r going into shed do u know if its a ball python r not if it is look on here for the caresheet since u never had a snake before it will tell u all u need to know. thanks to u that animal had a chance cuz other pll would have said eew snake an ran lol
    SOME HUMANS CAN'T BE TRUSTED. thats why animals or mens best friend.

Thanks

Re: rescued snake...ned advice please

Yes more info on the snake and your tank setup would be very helpful.
    0.1 B.P. (normal)-Scarlett
    3.0??? Painted turtles- Gott, Hammer, Coleman
    1.1 Dog (Husky/Shepard)-Maverick (Terrier mix)-Gypsy
    0.1 Spouse-Anjie
    2.1 Children -Miranda, Elliott, Bennett

Thanks

I agree with everyone else, probably a shed but yes, a pic of his current setup and the snake would be helpful. As someone that used to be terrified of snakes myself, I know what you mean about getting over your fears. If he is a BP, they are great teachers and wonderful animals, before long, you will find yourself wanting more. Snakes are like tattoos, you just can't have one...lol.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    EDIT: nevermind, I missed the 'a few weeks ago' thing.

I agree that he may be going into shed. Just leave him alone for a bit.
    Last edited by Shenzi Sixaxis; 08-26-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks

I would leave him be for a week and make sure you have hides that he can just fit in nicely and it only has one small opening. You will need two! Follow everything on this caresheet and you will be fine! http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Thanks
    If he's been eating regularly for you he's probably going into shed! Some balls are very cranky around this time. Make sure to post a pic so we can confirm it, or just look for a pink belly and blue eyes. If s/he's showing the signs make sure to bump up the humidity to 70% or so so they have a nice clean shed And THANK YOU for taking it in!
    1.1 Classic Ball Pythons - Louise and Zeus
    1.0 Poss. Granite - D*ck
    1.0 Cane Corso - Benedetto
    1.0 ACD/GSD Mix - Dino
    1.0 Fat Cat - Jose

"It only happens if it doesn't matter."

Thanks

yes the vet told me he is a ball python and probably around a month and a half or so. his eyes dont appear glossy or blue and his belly is not a reddish color. i almost said eww snake and ran cuz ever since my science teacher put his snake on me and it bit me ive been horrified of them and his was a ball python as well, a big one. i dont have any pics of his enclosure just yet, just one of him. in his enclosure i have aspen harlan bedding, water dish, one of those heat things you attach to the bottom of the tank, and a tree log in there, oh and i believe the tank is a 10 gallon. mind you i didnt set this up this is exactly the way i found his tank next to the dumpster. here he is though http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1669402918
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...&ref=fbx_album
    wasnt sure how to post a pic....thanks guys
    Last edited by snoopylove; 08-26-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast