Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

1 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Eggs

Thanks

Re: Unexpected Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by santino34 View Post
    I dont know what to say about the pattern differences. #1, who my kids have named Rocco, seems to have the same pattern as Eptius. But Bugsy and Cleo are both way off. Here is a better pic of Bugsy:

Is it just me or do those eyes look like they may just have big scales over them. I'm thinking it just might shed out and have a normal eyeball underneath.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    That's awesome. The reason that some didn't make it, and some have genetic deformities is probably because of how it happened. Since it is only asexual reproduction from the female, there is not a lot of genetic diversity, which allows fohttp://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127721-Unexpected-Eggs/page3r more mutations.

Thanks

WOW, that is crazy. sorry about ur mom. congrats on the eggs tho, guess ur snake really wanted u to be happy again. good luck with bugsy and keep us updated, this is a really interesting thread. i think u may also have the oldest Ball on here
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I know I have seen this before. I just can't find the thread about it.

The word glaucoma is bubbling in my noggin but also something about blocked tear ducts.

I don't think it needs to be euthanised though - I think a vet should be able to identify it and drain if needed and check to see if it is an infection or a structural defect.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

you may want to contact someone cuz ive been looking and there really isnt much on this happening in pythons.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Oh good grief,

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I know I have seen this before. I just can't find the thread about it.

The word glaucoma is bubbling in my noggin but also something about blocked tear ducts.

I don't think it needs to be euthanised though - I think a vet should be able to identify it and drain if needed and check to see if it is an infection or a structural defect.

dr del
    Turns out the reason I remember that thread was because I started it.

It was a response about seeing a similar picture in a Ralph Davis hatching record.

Clutch 16 on this page as the link in the thread is now obsolete.

So while I don't have any answers I can recommend you contact Ralph and ask him if he knows what caused it and how to fix it if possible.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

It isnt necessary for the offspring to be genetic clones of the mother, in genetics there is something called crossing over where genes move between the two separated chromosomes. This happens after the first split. Also certain variables are going to be random and not genetically controlled to the extent others are. Still pretty amazing considering BPs arent known for parthenogenisis.

The snake is fairly old at this point and as such her eggs are likely suffering in the same way that they do in other animals, increasing the likelihood of deformities in offspring as well as remarkable processes like parthenogenisis. Unless, of course, she was bred prior to you getting her, in which case it's possible she's been storing semen or fertilized eggs. In any case this is still pretty fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Is it just me or do those eyes look like they may just have big scales over them. I'm thinking it just might shed out and have a normal eyeball underneath.
    All snake eyes are covered in a scale, however this snake's scales seem to have grown to massive proportions. The scale itself is likely not going to shed off, however it's possible she may grow into them.

A blind BP isnt that bad considering that they have 2 other senses to hunt with (heat pits and the jacobson's organ).

Also the TC may want to get the snakes sexed. If any are male then there is a chance she had been carrying sperm/fertilized eggs. However if they got the snake when it was still a baby that's kinda thrown out the window.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

LizardPants (04-07-2011)

Thanks

gratz on the babies they are all very nice looking!! maybe these babies are the saviors of the ball python world

Thanks

Good news. I just got back from the vet. I had all 3 of the kids checked out. The vet believes that Bugsy has a fluid build up under her eye covers. So her eye covers are stretched out. The right eye was normal when she was born, but now it is almost as big as the left.

The vet believes that it is caused by clogged ducts or perhaps ducts that never formed. We are going to find out for sure tomorrow because thats when we are taking Bugsy back for surgery. The fluid will be drained and the vet will check the ducts.

Rocco and Cleo each weight .06 and Bugsy weighs .08. Cleo was also found to have a kink in her neck. Rocco is in perfect shape, but Cleo was everyone's favorite at the vet because of her color and pattern.

As for Eptius, she was full grown 25 years ago when I bought her from a guy in school who needed the money to pay his electric bill. I think I paid $40 for her. I have no idea how old she really is.

I told Eptius' story to the vet and she thought that perhaps she was storing sperm, but not for 25 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Cool story. Glad to hear the little one's are doing ok. My condolences to your family regarding the loss of your mother.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast