Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,300

1 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Unexpected Eggs

Thanks

Not Again!!

I know this is an old thread, but my old a$$ Ball Eptius did it again! I have 4 new eggs and 3 or so slugs. I'll post pics of mom, the baby I kept from last time and of the new batch sometime this weekend. My wife and kids are all in disbelief that this happened again.

Thanks

Re: Not Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by santino34 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but my old a$$ Ball Eptius did it again! I have 4 new eggs and 3 or so slugs. I'll post pics of mom, the baby I kept from last time and of the new batch sometime this weekend. My wife and kids are all in disbelief that this happened again.
    Haha, for real? Did you ever get the genetics of the last clutch checked out? Were they mommy clones? If you didn't get it the last time, make sure you get it this time! What baby did you keep? Cleo? If I didn't live in sweden I'd buy cleo without one second of hesitation. I hope you get some more cleos this time too!

Thanks

Re: Unexpected Eggs

Thats so cool

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    1.1yellow belly
    1.0 desert enchi
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 het russo
    1.0 lemon pastel
    0.1 spider
    2.0 normal

1.0 striped corn
    0.1.0 normal corn

1.0 columbian rianbow boa
    1.0 super hypo bci

0.2 leopard geckos

0.1.0 water dragon

South East PA (Northern Jersey Girl born and bred)
    Thanks

Red face love this thread

I've just got my first ball python a month ago and joined and read this thread. How exciting that I get to the last page and find that its is happening again! I have a degree in conservation and wildlife management an I am super fascinated with evolution and this story has me thinking about why this would happen to a snake so old. I have a theory. There is a common occurrence with a lot of trees in which they will normally produce nuts or seeds once every several years, but when under stress, facing disease or impending death they will drop nuts every year until they die to give them the best chance of passing on their genetics. I wonder if after living so long and possibly never encountering a male Epitus's body decided the only way to pass on her genes would be to clone herself. Just a theory but it is absolutely fascinating.
    Keep updating please.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kitkatbird For This Useful Post:

RellesReptiles (06-24-2014)

Thanks

Nice story. Its a pity I did not hear of this when it happened. We genetically confirmed parthenogenesis in ball pythons and reticulated pythons (and raised questions regarding the case in Burmese pythons) in a paper published in 2014. We currently have data from 7 or 8 clutches of ball pythons, a clutch of bloods, a clutch of Children's, and several clutches of retics, when it comes to pythons.

Booth, W., Schuett, GW., Ridgway, A., Buxton, DW., Castoe, TA., Bastone, G., Bennett, C. & McMahan, Wm. 2014. New Insights on facultative parthenogenesis in pythons. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 112, 461-468.

Click on the hyperlinked title for the paper.

Do you have any update on this second clutch or the offspring from the first.

Warren

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Warren_Booth For This Useful Post:

Coluber42 (04-18-2016)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_Booth View Post
    Nice story. Its a pity I did not hear of this when it happened. We genetically confirmed parthenogenesis in ball pythons and reticulated pythons (and raised questions regarding the case in Burmese pythons) in a paper published in 2014. We currently have data from 7 or 8 clutches of ball pythons, a clutch of bloods, a clutch of Children's, and several clutches of retics, when it comes to pythons.

Booth, W., Schuett, GW., Ridgway, A., Buxton, DW., Castoe, TA., Bastone, G., Bennett, C. & McMahan, Wm. 2014. New Insights on facultative parthenogenesis in pythons. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 112, 461-468.

Click on the hyperlinked title for the paper.

Do you have any update on this second clutch or the offspring from the first.

Warren
    I second this. I'm definitely interested in seeing what happened with the second clutch.
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Thanks
    So what happened in the first clutch and the one from 2014? The op didn't give a update?

Thanks
    Looking at the activity of the original poster, I think we are unlikely to hear about an update any time soon.

I will have soon cool news about ball python parthenogenesis soon. Just waiting for the last results to come off the sequencer.

Warren

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Warren_Booth For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-18-2016)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yep... OP hasnt been here since 06.13.2014

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011