Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,340

0 members and 3,340 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

another snakes arent eating thread

hey everyone my snakes arent eating and they havent for a long time (2 minths) and it was originally from the temps but i got the temps up to 95 in the back 80-85 in the front. then i thought it was the bedding so i switched the bedding from paper towel to aspen... and still nothing. i have an amazon tree boa and corn snake in the same rack and there both eating fine (every time food is offered) ive tried force feeding both of them but they just squirm and i cant handle them... what should i do??? thank you everyone for reading this!!!

Thanks
    Well force feeding is likely stressing them out quite a bit. How much do they weight? I'd just keep offering every week ONCE a week, and they will eat eventually. Don't try to assist feed unless they are weak and have lost a significant amount of body weight. They can go a REALLY long time without eating. My male just went back on feed after an 8 month fast, so two months isn't really that big of a deal. Keep track of their weights, and if they start to lose a lot of weight I'd suggest a vet visit to rule out internal parasites.
    1.1 Classic Ball Pythons - Louise and Zeus
    1.0 Poss. Granite - D*ck
    1.0 Cane Corso - Benedetto
    1.0 ACD/GSD Mix - Dino
    1.0 Fat Cat - Jose

"It only happens if it doesn't matter."

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: another snakes arent eating thread

Force feeding right now is out of the question additionally force feeding is for hatchlings that have never taken a meal and cannot even be assisted, and should ONLY be done as a last resort preferably by someone experienced.

The more details you will give the better we can help you try to narrow it down and see if something can or need to be done.

Have those snakes ever took a meal for you?
    Do you feed inside their enclosure?
    How big are your snakes (weight) and how old?
    What size tub do you provide?
    Do you handle them if so how often?
    Do you provide hides if so how tight?
    What type of hygrometer / thermomether do you use? Are they digital?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

My bee just did the same thing. I put a hide in his tub, put some extra newspaper for him to hide under, and covered the front of his tub (about 80% of it) with newspaper so he would not stress when I come into the room to check on the rest of my BP's. I left him completely alone for 3-4 weeks, except to change his water and substrate. I weighed him every week just to make sure he wasn't losing major weight (he was only losing about 2 grams a week). After the 3-4 weeks of leaving him alone, I put a live rat pup in with him and he killed/ate it within 3 minutes. I'm sure the stress of the change in temps, new substrate, and trying to force feed them is what is causing them to not eat. I would leave them alone for a little while........well, I guess it all just depends on their size and age. You should definetely post that info so the experienced people here can help you better. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

From our Caresheet:

WHY WON'T MY SNAKE EAT?
    In almost all cases, a ball python refuses to eat due to husbandry issues. Especially a young one. If your snake misses more than one meal (sometimes they will not want to eat while in shed) please check the following possible causes:

Lack of Security -- No hides, or hides that are too large or exposed (ie: half logs). They prefer dark, tight hides they barely fit into. Also, if the enclosure is too large, or too open (glass) or in a high traffic area with a lot of loud noise or movement. Another snake in the same enclosure can also cause serious security issues.

Over Handling -- Frequent intrusions into the enclosure, changes to the enclosure, and/or long frequent handling sessions can cause a shy snake to feel vulnerable and refuse to eat.

Improper Temps -- Temps that are too high or too low, or temps that fluctuate too much. Make sure you have an accurate and consistent read on your temps.

Improper Lighting -- Bright white lights shining directly into the enclosure, or 24 hour lighting can cause stress. Make sure there is some sort of day/night cycle.

Offering New Prey -- Changing prey species (ie: mice to rats) or methods (ie: live to f/t) can cause refusal. Such changes can be made, but may require patience and persistence.

Improper Offering of Prey -- Offering prey too frequently can do more harm than good. If a snake refuses, do not attempt to feed again for a week. Also, changing environments by moving to a feeding-box or removing hides and "furniture" can cause refusal in these shy snakes.

Prey Too Large -- Too large an item may intimidate a snake and cause refusal, or even a regurgitation if it is eaten. Also, if a ball python has eaten large meals in the past, it can cause a sudden an indefinite period of fasting.

Mites -- An external parasite common to snakes that must be treated and eradicated. A product called Provent-a-Mite (P.A.M.) is the safest and most effective method.

Seasonal -- Sexually mature ball pythons may fast for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months during their mating season (typically anywhere from late fall to early spring) especially if a sexually mature snake of the opposite sex is in close proximity.

Illness -- If all other possible reasons are eliminated, a vet check may be in order to look for internal parasites, as well as possible infections to the skin, scales, mouth or respiratory system.

Fortunately, ball pythons are extremely hardy snakes that can go for months (if necessary) of fasting without suffering any ill effects. This gives a responsible keeper plenty of time to figure out why the snake refuses to eat and get them on a regular, consistent feeding regimen.
    -- Judy

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    I think it's important to add that ADULT ball pythons can go for months without eating. I have seen a number of newbies take that information, and lose hatchlings because they assumed they would be ok if they didn't eat for several months.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I think it's important to add that ADULT ball pythons can go for months without eating. I have seen a number of newbies take that information, and lose hatchlings because they assumed they would be ok if they didn't eat for several months.
    Good point.
    -- Judy