Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,226

1 members and 3,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Exclamation Year-old BP won't EAT, won't stop wandering! Getting frustrated!

I've moved to a new suite as of July 1st. Knowing how sensitive BPs are, I had predicted that mine would be a little miffed for a while, and then resume her normal routine... This has not been so.

For the first few weeks, it had been a small struggle with her temps and getting regular feedings in. She managed to have a couple full meals during that time. Her setup hasn't changed - same hides, same fake plants, same substrate, temps have been fixed, and her humidity is stable. Her food hasn't been changed either, yet she won't stop wandering and won't take food. I'm not concerned about the failure to eat quite yet because there's no weight loss. And I know well enough that a wandering BP is a stressed out BP. Stressed BPs won't eat, so that's what I'm most concerned about fixing. But I can't figure out WHAT it is!

Is it time for a tub?
    Is she sick?
    Or (the least likely) is SHE really a HE looking for some love?

Please help!
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Year-old BP won't EAT, won't stop wandering! Getting frustrated!

Quote Originally Posted by Moofins07 View Post
    I've moved to a new suite as of July 1st. Knowing how sensitive BPs are, I had predicted that mine would be a little miffed for a while, and then resume her normal routine... This has not been so.

For the first few weeks, it had been a small struggle with her temps and getting regular feedings in. She managed to have a couple full meals during that time. Her setup hasn't changed - same hides, same fake plants, same substrate, temps have been fixed, and her humidity is stable. Her food hasn't been changed either, yet she won't stop wandering and won't take food. I'm not concerned about the failure to eat quite yet because there's no weight loss. And I know well enough that a wandering BP is a stressed out BP. Stressed BPs won't eat, so that's what I'm most concerned about fixing. But I can't figure out WHAT it is!

Is it time for a tub?
    Is she sick?
    Or (the least likely) is SHE really a HE looking for some love?

Please help!
    Something's got her stressed out. I'll always choose a tub over a tank - but I know tubs aren't for everyone.

Instead, to help her settle - fill her enclosure to the brim with very lightly balled up pieces of newspaper. This will allow her to feel more secure, she'll have something touching her at all times, and you'll find that she'll settle rather quickly after that. Then you can slowly "wean" her off the paper by removing a piece or two every few days. You can also feed while the paper is in there, just drop the mouse right on in - she'll find it!

Credit for this tip goes to Kevin McCurley of NERD. Myself and every member who's tried it can attest that it works.
    Last edited by rabernet; 08-20-2010 at 06:28 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Moofins07 (09-22-2010)