Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,186

0 members and 3,186 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Insurance for my collection?

Is it possible to insure a ball python collection, dose anyone have there collection insured? My insurance agent told me that she was going to pretend that I never asked.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Insurance for my collection?

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure there are companies out there that will insure just about anything...for a price. I doubt your typical home-owner's insurance company would consider it...it's outside their scope. But there are probably companies out there that specialize in insuring the unusual. The question would be, for such specialized service...would it be worth the cost? Up to an individual, I'm sure. You might inquire of Brian at BHB or the folks at NERD or others with especially huge collections, where their entire livelihood depends on the animals. They probably insure some way or another. Sorry I can't be of more specific help!
    -- Judy

Thanks

I no longer work outside the home but was in personal & commercial insurance for over 10 yrs. If you're interested in insuring your collection you can call your insurance agent or any local independant agent. If you have a hobbiest collection, in your home, you should be able to schedule the total amount of your collection on an endorsement to your homeowners policy. You may also want to look into a "farm" coverage policy, as far as covering livestock (snakes, rodents, etc) and all your equipment & supplies; these policies can be less expensive than endorsing your HO policy (not to mention a lot of normal HO policies do exclude dangerous/exotic animals).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissDixie For This Useful Post:

Fatman (08-20-2010),HypoPita (08-20-2010),JLC (08-19-2010)

Thanks
    I was just talking to a co worker yesterday about insurance on a collection after hearing a breeders house was broken into and the thief stole specific snakes and lizards from his collection. Think the news said they totalled up to $10k+ but who knows. The news blows things out of proportion so much.
    Pythons
    1.2 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Ball Python

Boas
    1.0 Yellow Anaconda
    1.0 Albino Boa Constrictor
    0.1 Het Albino Boa Constrictor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

As far as I know Lloyds of London is the only one that will insure a large collection. Rest assured that your annual premium will probably be about 65% of the value. However, they are the company that insures vocal chords, hands, feet, fingers, and any other highly volitale property.

Not having insurance is just part of the risk of dealing with these animals.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

MissDixie (08-23-2010)

Thanks
    I had looked into insuring my huge nscale model train collection. The premium was outrageous for what I would have to insure. I am talking around 15-18k in trains. I could only imagine how much it would be for snakes. My snake collection hasn't reached that amount of money yet. But after a few more pieds it might get there quick. I can't let my wife know that.
    Too many snakes to list. Ball pythons, Gtp's and Boa's. It easier to say it that way.