Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,892

2 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,560
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Nervous about handling my BP

Hello Everyone!
    I have a Ball Python (my profile pic) that bit me due to fault of my own about 3 months ago. Since then I have been really nervous about holding him. The most uncomfortable part is when his head comes toward me. Any assistance with getting over it.
    BTW I already know getting bit is a part of being a snake owner so everyone can scratch saying that. I also know I need to get over it, so you can scratch that comment either. I am really just looking for positive help getting over it as I love my pet very much and have had him since a baby.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: Nervous about handling my BP

Use a hook to get him out. If he gives you issues when you're trying to get him out of his enclosure try using a hook or something that you can use to "point" him away from you while you pick him up. I'm not too thrilled about opening a tub and finding someone in strike mode either...more for the protection of the snake than anything else. I'm more concerned about them breaking teeth or something. As long as you can pick them up from behind and not get up in their grill they usually calm down. Once you have him out just relax and let him explore. Be very calm with your movements...and don't do this in the middle of the living room with the tv blaring and kids running around. That will stress anything out.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

I used to be very afraid of the snakes that bit, I didn't want to hold them or anything. But I was thinking about why each of them bit me and realized that every bite was my fault. Bps bite when hungry (generally missing the prey or I smelled like rat) or when very scarred and it is a defense mechanism. I imagined myself in the position of the snake and being held by a giant and decided that I probably would have bitten the giant as well... lol Hope this helps
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Aiden, and Mina)
    1.2 Cats (Mel, Suki, and Althena)
    1.0 Manchester Terrier (Max)
    1.0 Pomeranian (Kody)
    0.1 Yorkshire Terrier (Kabebe)
    1.0 Parson Russel Terrier (Rocky)
    20G Fresh Water Aquarium

Thanks

Well, I can tell you I'm suffering this myself with one of my new hatchlings. Shes a really snippy because shes a baby. But boy I'm scared of her! The one time I got tagged it wasn't even my own snake. I was looking at a pastel female at my distributor. I felt shes was really really tense. I wasn't paying any attention to her in my hands, because I was talking to my friends and didn't even feel it. All I felt was that she "moved" quick and repositioned herself. lmao. I just noticed a little blood and said,"yep, not going to get this one." lol

I think that part one is seeing his behavior while you are handling him. If hes really tense like I described with the one time I got tagged it could be more advisable of putting him down. I have 14 snakes at this point in time and take tons of time in making sure that I'm not doing anything to provoke any odd behaviors. That one hatchling I don't know what her problem is except shes a baby. lol. I bet you anything I will probably get tagged by her at some point by her. lol.

Its going to take some time for you to get past it, but if I were you I would just try and pick him up as much as possible. Its not odd that you feel uncomfortable about him coming close to your face, I only really trust a few of my snakes to do that. My ghost is my sweetheart and don't mind whereas two of my female norms I'd rather not. lol.

The more you handle the more you will get back the comfortablility in my mind. Stay positive and don't be hard on yourself and everything will be just fine. :-)
    Last edited by Evilme5229; 08-19-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    1.0 Pewter BP, 0.1 Pastel BP, 0.4 Regular BP, 1.0 Ghost BP, 1.1 Yellow Belly BP, 1.0 Vanilla BP, 0.1 Lemon Bumble Bee BP , 1.0 Pinestripe BP, 0.1 het ghost BP, 1.0 het albino BP, 0.1 Lesser Platinum, 0.1 Angolian BP cross, 0.1 Albino BP, 0.1 Spider BP

Thanks

Yeah, I think all you have to do is try to handle him when you feel really calm, when you have nothing to worry about, because that sets a tone for the snake as well. Seeing that you are calm will calm down your snake. Maybe try to forget that the bite ever happened, and just keep handling him regularly and you'll get over it soon enough
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Am I the only one that likes biters?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nasty View Post
    Am I the only one that likes biters?
    Do you have "biters"?
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

I agree on the hook idea. I have a hook that I use when I feel a little nervous around my bigger girls. My normal has struck at me quite a few times and so whenever I open her tub I'm definitely on guard. I usually just touch her with the hook (flattened, not the pointy part), starting at the back of the body and slowly keep touching her up to her head and by that time she has calmed down and I can gently reach in and pick her up.
    -- Cat Haddow

Thanks

Yes. Bought one on Saturday because it tried to get my girlfriend in the face. She's just a hatchling though, but I like them to show character.

Thanks

I usually put a glove on when I'm unsure of a snake. I find it makes me calmer, therefore the snake is calmer. Though this didn't work the way I had planned a couple weeks ago I was cleaning the supercorn and he's a freaking pysco(spelling??) well he freaked out and went up my arm and bit me there But generally the gloves help unless you have a crazy snake!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast