Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

1 members and 3,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ... why

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: ... why

do you get mostly white space when you use "New Posts"? I use it and it's almost unreadable now.
    Augie 1.0.0 Lemon Pastel BP
    Rio 1.0.0 South Brazilian BCA
    Blaze 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

I enjoy it. After over 2 years of looking at the same thing, this is good change. Some people don't like change and expect things to work perfectly right away! Give it some time, it's been a whole 2 days or so.

I'm not sure how these whole forum sites work, if I'm wrong correct me, but isn't the site itself a template provided by vBulletin and everything else such as the sections/sub-sections and different forum areas the responsibility of the one paying for it?

Only so much people can do in a day. It's not as easy as people think it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Dreamsicles View Post
    What was the point of getting the new layout?
    The layout hasn't change at all. Same style portal, same style threads.

I used to be on a different forum (not reptile related) that was fine. Then they got this layout...

Ruined the site. Hardly anyone even posts now and it *stinks* because it was one of the most popular forums around that I know of...

It just makes stuff more complicated.
    What, specifically, makes it more complicated? Change of location of some of the buttons?

I'm looking for feedback on what may be confusing - but I think ultimately, the goal of the new theme that vB provided was to make things easier.

You may think, right now - it's confusing, but give it some time to get used to some of the new elements and you may find you're navigating the forum quicker than you did in that past. I know I am - but I've been messing around on this version of vB for quite a few months now...
    Perhaps that's why I'm missing some of the confusion.

Plus I dont have a hot-rod layout now.
    Dislike
    We're working on it

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommy View Post
    do you get mostly white space when you use "New Posts"? I use it and it's almost unreadable now.
    That is a confirmed bug appearing only in Internet Explorer 6 and 7. I'm working on getting that fixed right now.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nate For This Useful Post:

fishmommy (08-19-2010),wolfy-hound (08-19-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

thanks for all your hard work Nate and the other staff! I know these upgrades are a real headache to implement - I will be patient
    Augie 1.0.0 Lemon Pastel BP
    Rio 1.0.0 South Brazilian BCA
    Blaze 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

There are two things I do not like about it, but one hopefully will be changed.

1. I am color blind... the color blue gives me the most problems, so you can imagine my difficulty :p Now, the old forum did that as well, so its not the new style, it is simply the fact that I can not change the templates yet, which I think are being worked on. If anyones wondering what me affects me, for one I cant tell when a forum has new posts in it, because they are all the same shade of blue ( If I look hard enough though, I can tell that to the normal person, something has changed to tell them... I think it may get bolder?) And it gives me a slight headache.

2. The rep system is going to be unnoticed and hardly used now i think, its that little star thing next to thanks, I thought we had gotten rid of it to be honest at first, new members I do not think will find it and know what it is easily. Heck, maybe even the older members like me!!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beardedragon For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (08-20-2010),Nate (08-19-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    ( If I look hard enough though, I can tell that to the normal person, something has changed to tell them... I think it may get bolder?) And it gives me a slight headache.
    yes - if there is a new post in a thread, the title is bolded to indicate a new post.

What do you think would make it easier for you to notice there is a new post? Happy to give it a try. Just let me know
    2. The rep system is going to be unnoticed and hardly used now i think, its that little star thing next to thanks, I thought we had gotten rid of it to be honest at first, new members I do not think will find it and know what it is easily. Heck, maybe even the older members like me!!
    I agree with you. It's not too user friendly - so we are looking into something else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    Well the original templates had to go, they were not combatable. As stated a few times, they are working on new ones.

If a forum goes under because of a template change, I wouldn't blame the new template..................
    I think it was the temeplate change that did it. There wasnt a lot of poeple on it to begin with and im sure most of them hated the change (dont like change, theyre set in their ways etc). They made it look completely different, some people didnt even know it was the same site.

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    The old style used to lock up on me almost every day at work. This one doesn't, so far. There are a few bugs here-and-there, but I am sure they will work them out soon.
    What do you mean lock up? Ive never had any problems with it but then again I use my home computer and Firefox. I cant stand IE anymore, it always gives me problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    I like it a lot better, to be honest. The old layout was rather outdated, and I was irritated when I first joined at how much more I had to do to get things to work like they did on the forums I frequent elsewhere. But this is all my opinion, and I can understand why someone who'd be used to the old way would dislike changes
    How is it out dated? As far as I can tell the only big difference is how things look. The layout is basically the same except everything looks different. All the sections are in the same order etc, but it took me a while (just now) to find the User CP. I dont get why things are moved around when they dont need to be. I also hate the normal colors lol. Grey and blue is really really dull to me.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

Thanks

[QUOTE=jfreels;1411026]Well the original templates had to go, they were not combatable. As stated a few times, they are working on new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    The layout hasn't change at all. Same style portal, same style threads.

What, specifically, makes it more complicated? Change of location of some of the buttons?

I'm looking for feedback on what may be confusing - but I think ultimately, the goal of the new theme that vB provided was to make things easier.

You may think, right now - it's confusing, but give it some time to get used to some of the new elements and you may find you're navigating the forum quicker than you did in that past. I know I am - but I've been messing around on this version of vB for quite a few months now...
    Perhaps that's why I'm missing some of the confusion.

We're working on it

That is a confirmed bug appearing only in Internet Explorer 6 and 7. I'm working on getting that fixed right now.
    Yeah I lost the location of half of the stuff that I use alot. (have to look for it)

I dont see how this will make anyone be navigating faster, besides that it doesnt open a new page to write your post you do it on this page, but im guessing ifyou have a slow computer its going to take just as long to load the text box as it would have been to open a new page to type the reply.

Im just used to the old layout becuase basically every forum I use has that style and I like it.

PS: another little problem I just had, I checked all the posts on page 1 to do a multiple quote. I wrote all my responses and POSTED IT. Then I just hit the multiple quote button on your post (wasnt sure if I would quote anyone else) and it brought back all of the quotes that I had already responded to on page 1.
    Yet I already made a post about them.

Also I dont like how the text box you get to reply is so small and you have to scroll down to reply to every quote where on the old one you could just click below it.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Dreamsicles For This Useful Post:

Nate (08-19-2010)

Thanks

I'm not a big fan of how wide the site is. I run 1024x768 and I have to scroll from side to side to see everything. Switching to 1152x864 fixes it. I'm not a big fan of websites getting wider since not everyone runs widescreen yet (my desktop runs 800x600 lol)

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Dreamsicles View Post
    How is it out dated? As far as I can tell the only big difference is how things look. The layout is basically the same except everything looks different.
    To start with, performance.

The site loads much faster - and that is because the new theme uses more of todays standards to render the forum (CSS, rather than Tables)

Yeh, there are elements that are moved around and even smaller - but I think that was done in order to clear up some space. Forums, in general, have a lot of stuff - and it's hard to neatly present all that stuff.

My opinion on the old theme was too much stuff. Users that don't know how to use a forum are easily overwhelmed.

All the sections are in the same order etc, but it took me a while (just now) to find the User CP. I dont get why things are moved around when they dont need to be.
    Don't need to be, maybe.

But this isn't necessarily a case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" - I think if you give the new layout a chance, you may find that you navigate it quicker than before. I could be wrong - but time will tell.

I also hate the normal colors lol. Grey and blue is really really dull to me.
    A majority of folks use the default, dull gray and blue. But we are trying to roll out some new themes right now for those that don't like the default. Patience.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast