Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

1 members and 3,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Had an RI scare...

So I walked into the snake room today to do the morning spray and as I opened the last tub, my butter male Iorek, I noticed he had made a nice big, messy poop for me (he's always been a messy pooper, spreading it all around the tub).

So I put on the gloves, pick him up to transfer him to a holding tub and I noticed something weird. As he was flicking his tongue out he had this weird white looking thing. As I looked closer I noticed it was a bubble... I was like "Awww man wtf"...and then a big ol' bubble came out and I was like, darnit, time for the vet.

I was really surprised because I thought my husbandry skills were up to par. But I decided if I'm taking him in, I'm taking them all in. So they all got packed up and my boyfriend and I headed out after making an appointment.

So the vet went through all the "non-sick" ones first, inspecting them, probing to double check sex, etc. He said they all looked picture perfect and in great health and that my pastel female held her color nicely for how big she is.

So then we get to Iorek. He pulled him out, probed him, looked him over and said he didn't hear, see or feel any rattling. He opened his mouth and watched him breath for a while and said he looked just fine although he did have a bit more mucus than normal in his mouth, but it was nice clear breathing.

His conclusion was that I had picked him up right after he had drank some water and that caused the bubbles but he said to watch him for a week and make sure that no other symptoms pop up.

He also did a stool sample and found some protozoans in his stool that could have been causing the messy poop. He gave me medicine for all 5 just in case even though they didn't have any symptoms of anything and their poop and urates look fine.

It's great to know that he's ok, but it sure scared the bejeebers out of me!!

Thanks for reading!

PS - Oh, and he said my female looked darn good for just laying eggs a month ago. But then again, she ate almost all the way up to ovulation.
    Last edited by AcePythons; 08-18-2010 at 08:28 PM.
    -- Cat Haddow