Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

0 members and 2,989 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Possible shed problem

I noted my male pastel in blue a few days ago, so have been waiting for him to shed. He shed last night, so I picked up the shed to examine it this morning and found what appears to be a complete shed, but only from his neck back. I pulled him out and looked closely at his head and see no evidence of stuck shed, so I'm really confused. Can anyone tell me how to be absolutely sure that there is no stuck shed on his head and that his eye caps have shed well? Would pics of his head help if I can get good close ups? This is his second shed with me and the first was perfect except for maybe an inch on his tail which he removed himself within an hour or two of me finding his shed skin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
    *~*Mica*~*
    0.2 Kids
    1.1 Great Danes
    1.0 '09 Pastel BP
    0.1 '09 Lemon Pastel
    0.1 '10 Lesser

Thanks

Re: Possible shed problem

pics would help but its still pretty easy. the shed from their heads are usually rolled up and kinda hard to find. if u un-roll the whole shed u can find the eye caps. but if u cant then look at ur snakes eyes. they should be clear and not look cloudy or white. look around the edges of their eyes and u shouldnt see any stuck shed. u should be able to see the difference in the scales if their is stuck shed, its pretty noticeable. good luck
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mpkeelee For This Useful Post:

Brunoheart (08-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpkeelee View Post
    pics would help but its still pretty easy. the shed from their heads are usually rolled up and kinda hard to find. if u un-roll the whole shed u can find the eye caps. but if u cant then look at ur snakes eyes. they should be clear and not look cloudy or white. look around the edges of their eyes and u shouldnt see any stuck shed. u should be able to see the difference in the scales if their is stuck shed, its pretty noticeable. good luck
    I agree. Look at the skin closely and you should see where the eye caps are. If there in your snake skin than your okay.

If your still concerned, you can soak him in luke warm water for about 15 mins and take a towel between your hands and let him slither through it a few times to get any excess shed off.
    1.0 Pewter BP, 0.1 Pastel BP, 0.4 Regular BP, 1.0 Ghost BP, 1.1 Yellow Belly BP, 1.0 Vanilla BP, 0.1 Lemon Bumble Bee BP , 1.0 Pinestripe BP, 0.1 het ghost BP, 1.0 het albino BP, 0.1 Lesser Platinum, 0.1 Angolian BP cross, 0.1 Albino BP, 0.1 Spider BP

Thanks

Generally if there's stuck shed it's easy to see, so if you don't see any it's probably because there isn't any there. If you want to be doubly sure try keeping the humidity relatively high for a couple days to give the snake a chance to try to get it off of his head if there is any there.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I had carefully unrolled his shed to examine it prior to posting and I was right in thinking the shed I found was everything except his head. While cleaning his tub, I found his (perfect including eye caps) head shed under his water bowl. I feel so much better now. Thanks again!!
    *~*Mica*~*
    0.2 Kids
    1.1 Great Danes
    1.0 '09 Pastel BP
    0.1 '09 Lemon Pastel
    0.1 '10 Lesser