Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

3 members and 3,193 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Unhappy I really hate pet stores

so i had 2 balls that werent eating. so i whent to a local pet shop (only one i know of that sells live hoppers) so i got two over prices hoppers and when home to feed them. and of course they both ate with in 2 hrs. so i was happy and decided not to bother them for the next week so that i can try to feed f/t. well luckaly my friend came over and was looking at all of them. he took out one of the pastels and said wow its really dirty??? so i looked and we noticed it wasnt dirt.... it was moving.... MITES. the two that had it the worst of course were the ones that had the live mice. so i go back and complained that they sold me a "defective product" so they "gave" me some mite killer... but it was for birds. so i asked if it was safe for snakes and the lady said that thats what she uses all the time. so i go home and spray all 16 of my snakes to keep them from spreading...... 2hrs later i go and look they look like there dying and cant breath so i quickly start rinsing them and cleaning the enclosures one by one. but affter all that 2 still looked like they were about to dye (my too new baby pastels) and now all i can do is pray and wait ='[
    so now im going to do my best to tell people not to trust that place and keep away at all cost.

Thanks

Re: I really hate pet stores

Mites on feeders won't feed on snakes...

Did you read the directions on whatever mite killer you used?
    Last edited by dr del; 08-17-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: removing language from quoted thread title before the edit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Nasty View Post
    Mites on feeders won't feed on snakes...

Did you read the directions on whatever mite killer you used?
    Aren't mites, mites? I didn't know there were different types of mites for different species, I thought all mites were treated equally. Tell me if I'm wrong.. And I agree, just because someone gave you stuff for mites and said use it doesn't mean you should take their word for it.
    Last edited by dr del; 08-17-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: removing language from quoted thread title before the edit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

, why oh why?? Please take the time to read the stickys for mite treatment, or ask here in the forums, that is what we are here for, and to answer your question NO bird mite spray isn't for snakes. I pray your snakes pull through.
    Last edited by llovelace; 08-16-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

There's a lot of different kinds of mites. And yes, bird treatment isn't for snakes. I hope you noticed in time to save them! Foolish pet store employees! What's wrong with those people?? If they don't know, they hsould just say that, instead of selling you a bird product not made for reptiles!

Make sure you rem to wash out the water bowls too, in case some residue is in the water, if you didn't already. Good luck.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

If it doesn't sound right then do your research before using a product! Never take chances like that! If it doesn't say for snakes then don't use! Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh!

Thanks

Aren't mites, mites? I didn't know there were different types of mites for different species, I thought all mites were treated equally
    Far from the truth. Parasites are most often extremely host specific. Meaning ecto and endo-parasites will only leech off of certain species. Our herp parasites will not transfer to us, dogs, cats, etc. Just like the fleas from our mammalian pets and lice from us wont transfer to our herps.

One common example that im sure almost everyone has heard of is head lice and pubic lice. Generally our head lice will not migrate down to our chest, arm, and pubic hair, while the crabs or pubic lice will not migrate to our head.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks

I'd say your new pastels came with mites. And how "new" are they?
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

there almost 2 mouths old and they just got them after feeding. could it be that there reptiles had them and got on the mice (didnt attach but just tagged alone) than when i put the mice in with them they "hopped" off and got on the snake?