Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,752

1 members and 2,751 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Cat vs. Ball Python = Cat Won

Hey guys,
    So my friend had his bp escape. Well, his cat found it. Its still alive, but its def. got some damage. I don't think that its going to survive because although there are no chunks or pieces missing from him, his bp has some areas were his skin is no long there, and few puncture wounds.
    I know that my distributor told me a story about his bp that a rat got left in the cage and literally ate the back of the snake. Showing the snake's spine and the snake survived. I actually saw the snake when I visited his shop and its scarred all down its back and is pretty narley. I am sending him over there this morning to my distributor in regards to what to do.
    However, I am just wondering if anyone knows any other stories or anything to be done here. I know that my experience with cats catching things, if the thing does survive that it adventually dies because the "venom" that the cat has in its mouth adventually kills the animal. I have seen this mostly with birds.
    I do not know how the snake got out, so please do not start a big debate on it. I'm just asking for advice on how to treat and other similar stories. Thank you.
    Last edited by Evilme5229; 08-16-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    1.0 Pewter BP, 0.1 Pastel BP, 0.4 Regular BP, 1.0 Ghost BP, 1.1 Yellow Belly BP, 1.0 Vanilla BP, 0.1 Lemon Bumble Bee BP , 1.0 Pinestripe BP, 0.1 het ghost BP, 1.0 het albino BP, 0.1 Lesser Platinum, 0.1 Angolian BP cross, 0.1 Albino BP, 0.1 Spider BP

Thanks

Re: Cat vs. Ball Python = Cat Won

I would probably consult a herp vet before consulting a distributor. Antibiotics are definitely in order for a cat bite.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evilme5229 View Post
    I'm just asking for advice on how to treat and other similar stories. Thank you.[/B][/SIZE]
    So you're looking for more stories of incompetence? How about your friend take it to a vet and be more careful in the future??? Ball + incompetent owner = fail...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

Didnt realise cats have "venom". Is that like cat scratch fever?
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unspecified42 View Post
    I would probably consult a herp vet before consulting a distributor. Antibiotics are definitely in order for a cat bite.
    x2

Find a herp/exotics vet near your area. Cats have a whole spectrum of bacteria in their mouths/on their claws. Infection can start very quickly and should be one of the first things treated for the snake to have any chance of survival.

Also, if living in a house with a cat(s) and snake(s), there should be extra measures taken to keep snakes in their enclosures, or cats out of the enclosure. I haven't seen a cat yet that hasn't gone into "predator/defensive fear/aggressive curiosity mode" once a snake is spotted.
    Last edited by MissLeMew; 08-16-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks

Cat's don't have venom they just have filthy bacteria ridden mouths, go to a vat and get antibiotics they snake will probrably be fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    So you're looking for more stories of incompetence? How about your friend take it to a vet and be more careful in the future??? Ball + incompetent owner = fail...
    I'm looking for advice. And yes a vet is the obvious one; its called the meantime in waiting for an appointment. I'm coming up with the best solutions for him at the moment and this is suppose to be a good outlet for advise. I hate to tell you, but theres tons of stories of bps getting out. These are called ACCIDENTS for a reason.

I'm guessing you weren't competent to read what I put in bold and in bigger print. If I wanted sarcasim I would have left that bold and bigger print out. Maybe I should have put it in red for the challenged. I guess I expected people that had nothing compassionate and neutral to offer to just be kind enough to read and not post anything.
    1.0 Pewter BP, 0.1 Pastel BP, 0.4 Regular BP, 1.0 Ghost BP, 1.1 Yellow Belly BP, 1.0 Vanilla BP, 0.1 Lemon Bumble Bee BP , 1.0 Pinestripe BP, 0.1 het ghost BP, 1.0 het albino BP, 0.1 Lesser Platinum, 0.1 Angolian BP cross, 0.1 Albino BP, 0.1 Spider BP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evilme5229 View Post
    These are called ACCIDENTS for a reason.
    Call it whatever you want...it was preventable. How about your friend take a little responsibility in his actions, or inactions??? If it was my snake I'd be headed to the vet right now...not making an appointment. This, I think, would qualify as an emergency?
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always by your side...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

Kyle@theHeathertoft (08-16-2010),Shadera (08-16-2010)

Registered User Kyle@theHeathertoft's Avatar
    Thanks

Didnt realise cats have "venom". Is that like cat scratch fever?
    Cat saliva hosts a lot of nasty bacteria. When a cat bites someone in the salon I work at, it's IMMEDIATE grounds to send that groomer to the ER, even if it's just a little nip. Big dog mauls me and I don't need a doctor but a cat's tooth breaks skin and off to the ER I'll go! It causes BAD infections...I've had two massive blood infections from cat bites, one of which nearly killed me.

My advice is to NOT put neosporin or anything like it on the wounds until the vet can see it. Puncture wounds hold bacteria in them, and if you put antibiotic cream on them like neosporin, it can heal the wound from the outside IN, causing abscesses and all sorts of much worse issues than the original wound. The wounds need to heal from the inside OUT, if you have it available I'd thoroughly rinse the wounds with sterile saline solution and then letting them drain until you can get this poor snake to a vet. If you don't have access to sterile saline or have no way to flush the wounds (just pouring it doesn't do anything) then just keep the snake quiet and still until you can get him or her to a vet.

I'd be insisting that the vet see the animal IMMEDIATELY, no waiting for an appointment, btw. I'd literally take the snake in and declare it an emergency...with cat bites, you can't wait.

BTW, why ask others to share stories of escape and harm? Why not simply ask what if anything might help?
    1.1 Mojave BP ("Caffè Macchiato;" name pending)
    1.0 Cinnamon BP ("Jayne")
    1.0 Pastel BP ("Elliot")
    0.1 Normal BP ("Biscotti")
    0.1 Spider BP (name pending)
    0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake ("Bowline")
    1.0 Dumeril Boa ("Julien")
    0.1 Super-Dwarf Reticulated Python ("Temperance")

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle@theHeathertoft For This Useful Post:

sho220 (08-16-2010)

Thanks

Sorry to come off harsh about your friend, but a part of being big boys and girls is the ability to accept blame for when we screw up and learn from it. Putting on the blinders and calling this just an accident is wrong...and will just lead to more "accidents'...these animals rely on us, and us alone. It wasn't the cats fault and it wasn't the snakes fault...who is left?
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always by your side...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast