Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

2 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Once a 'conda eats a fish will it eat only fish after?

Quote Originally Posted by ice#1 View Post
    give it a try if in fact it was true once an anaconda eats a fish it wont eat anything else there would be nothing but wild anacondas eating nothing but fish.(but maybe thats what gives the greens there massive girth) like you said in the wild they eat them along with anything else they can get there coils around and swallow. so don't see how it would get hooked on them while the whole rest of the wild pop of anacondas don't get hooked on them.

but i would love to see a vid of a wild green adult eating nothing but fish how would that look for the plow to get them banned as an injurious species
    Seeing that you really have no experience with Anaconda's I think it would be best to not offer your opinion in any of the anaconda posts.

I've seen how if they get the taste for something they like better they may become problem eaters. I've also seen like Denial said where snakes once get a taste for something else they like they may be hard to switch back over. I wouldn't really do it because in truth it's not worth the risk of having them become problem eaters, or refusing meals because it's not what they prefer.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    how is giving something a varied diet like it would in wild be a problem how bout you try and eat 1 food for a good portion of your life. then switch it you'd never eat the once main stable food again but if you give it a rotational diet it will take all you offer and then some even making it easier once it gets bigger to switch foods as the snake will rember that it don't always have to eat the same thing

he just got the baby so if he gets it set on a proper diet (ie not just 1 food source it's whole life) and even if it did get hooked on fish fish is alot healthier then rats and mice anyway so his snake would be very healthy. not to mention would never have to worry about a fish biting his snake i myself don't see them getting hooked if started on them properly at a young age like they would get in the wild were not talking about an adult snake his is a baby

and how you think i never had a anaconda cause i didn't list i got one didn't say i never kept one. so for your information i use to have a trio of them back 15 years ago (and if i new then they would eat fish i would of offered it fish.
    Neal
    but seeing how you just got 1 yellow shouldn't you in fact listen to advice others say that have kept more then you and what they noticed in there experience keeping them.
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

how is giving something a varied diet like it would in wild be a problem how bout you try and eat 1 food for a good portion of your life. then switch it you'd never eat the once main stable food again but if you give it a rotational diet it will take all you offer and then some even making it easier once it gets bigger to switch foods as the snake will rember that it don't always have to eat the same thing

he just got the baby so if he gets it set on a proper diet (ie not just 1 food source it's whole life) and even if it did get hooked on fish fish is alot healthier then rats and mice anyway so his snake would be very healthy. not to mention would never have to worry about a fish biting his snake i myself don't see them getting hooked if started on them properly at a young age like they would get in the wild were not talking about an adult snake his is a baby

and how you think i never had a anaconda cause i didn't list i got one didn't say i never kept one. so for your information i use to have a trio of them back 15 years ago (and if i new then they would eat fish i would of offered it fish.
    Neal
    but seeing how you just got 1 yellow shouldn't you in fact listen to advice others say that have kept more then you and what they noticed in there experience keeping them.
    Please prove that feeding fish is healthier than a rodent diet. Fish eating snakes are susceptible to thiamine deficiency which is due to lack of vitamins from the fish.

Why risk it if the snake eats mice,rats,rabbits of it getting stuck on wanting fish only. Using supplements or scenting is a PITA with larger condas for feeding fish. Without the supplement with the fish you WILL cause problems down the line.

Also having one or 10000 yellow or green anacondas means nothing. Dont make you a experienced person cause you have many in collection.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 08-23-2010 at 04:55 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

FIEND_FO_LYFE (08-24-2010),jfreels (09-02-2010),Swingline0.0.1 (08-24-2010)

Thanks
    rich thats why you would give it a rotation in what it eats so it gets a complete diet

also i dont understand how you can say if you got 1 or 10,000 green or yellow don't make you experienced with them. that would be like saying ball python breeders don't know nothing about ball pythons. which is just plain wrong. the more you keep the more experienced you get with them as you have a greater knowledge of how the species as a whole acts the more you got
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks
    fish

Nutrition Facts

Calories in Pink Salmon (fish)

Serving Size: 1 fillet

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 11.0
    Total Fat 1.8 g
    Saturated Fat g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 4.3 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 3.0 g
    Cholesterol 166.2 mg
    Sodium 213.3 mg
    Potassium 1,026.7 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Protein 0.0 g
    Vitamin A 6.7 %
    Vitamin B-12 143.0 %
    Vitamin B-6 28.6 %
    Vitamin C 0.0 %
    Vitamin D 0.0 %
    Vitamin E 0.0 %
    Calcium 4.2 %
    Copper 12.3 %
    Folate 3.1 %
    Iron 13.6 %
    Magnesium 20.5 %
    Manganese 2.4 %
    Niacin 105.7 %
    Pantothenic Acid 21.5 %
    Phosphorus 73.2 %
    Riboflavin 10.6 %
    Selenium 202.7 %
    Thiamin 32.4 %
    Zinc 11.7 %

notice it says 32.4% thaimin in pink salmon but can't find no links that says what makes up a rat did notice when looking for this info all other animals it says give a varied diet for best health so why treat our pet snakes any differently even if the fish are only given once a month as a treat fish. it is a known fact as a healthier choice to eat better then beef pig or chicken so i'm 100% sure it would be better then a rat or mouse to eat and since there is no link i could find that gives data like there is for fish there is no way to show if rats or mice or rabbits are a healthier food source or not

here is closest rodents i could find but it's list is nowhere as detailed as that for fish
    Protein % Fat % Cholesterol (mg/100g*) Calories (Kcal/100g*)
    Rabbit (Cottontail) 21.8 2.4 77 144
    Rabbit (Jack) 21.9 2.4 131 153
    Squirrel 21.4 3.2 83 149

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ice, lets think before we speak here alright?

Just cause I only list two snakes don't question my experience as I have more then you, just by the way you talk proves that.

He has a baby, exactly, a captive bred baby, which has never had fish in it's life. That would be like telling somebody that owns a Ball Python to go feed it something else besides a rodent, which majority captive bred snakes only get fed 1 food source. Then to top it off you said if you knew 15 years ago that they ate fish you would of fed it fish, well I believe common sense would tell you that. Anaconda's are commonly found in the water, more so then other Boa's and Pythons, so how would you not realize they eat fish? That would similar to saying you didn't know snakes ate rodents.

What really stuns me though is how you don't think before you speak. You telling him to go ahead and try it. Do not judge people by when you think I first got a snake. I judged you off the ignorance in your original message.

I know somebody that has only been dealing with snakes a couple months, and I would put money on it that he knows more then you do. Just because you've been in the hobby longer doesn't mean you know more. In fact the ignorance in your messages proves that you really don't know much at all.
    -Venomous-

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

FIEND_FO_LYFE (08-24-2010)

Thanks
    you dont have to worry about rodents biting your snakes either when you feed frozen. Ive been through the process of trying to convert a anaconda to a different type of food. My first green was stuck on chicks when I got her and now cookie will eat rabbits for a month and then refuse them for 6 and only eat rats. It tends to drive one crazy. If I could keep a conda on one food source I would. It makes life easier

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denial View Post
    you dont have to worry about rodents biting your snakes either when you feed frozen. Ive been through the process of trying to convert a anaconda to a different type of food. My first green was stuck on chicks when I got her and now cookie will eat rabbits for a month and then refuse them for 6 and only eat rats. It tends to drive one crazy. If I could keep a conda on one food source I would. It makes life easier
    That is what I was trying to get through to the other guy, but he is going to think what he wants no matter what we say. Everybody knows who to listen to and who not to listen to though.
    -Venomous-

Thanks
    yes neal think before you speak how do you feed a large boa or python only 1 type of food its whole life rodents don't come that big like your the one who said it so please explain how he is going to feed an 8+ foot anaconda a rat or mouse and it not be hungry 2 days later. (rember i been there done that) so explain how his now baby anaconda will eat rats or mice it's whole life cause in fact it won't i know before i gave mine to zoo mine were eating 10 pound baby pigs weekly or 3 large rabbits. can't rember the name of them but the giant rabbits could of feed them those instead but they were twice the price of the baby pigs

Neal thats just interesting let see to start off in the wild ball pythons don't eat fish but many different right sized prey items. i have seen ball pythons eat other snake( a buddy put his ball in with his rough green snake to clean its cage he went to get the ball out and seen the last of the other snake being swallowed) seen them eat rabbits(use to have an almost 6 foot wild cuaght ball python female and thats all she would eat) have seen them eat lizards also. also boas and pythons get way bigger then a corn snake and once started as a baby on a mouse it will need at least 1 change in food type when it gets bigger from mice to rats no they are not the same thing. then bigger pythons and boas will need even more change in prey items as they get bigger some will eat pigs when they get into the upper teens in length but you say people only feed 1 prey item if that is true for the people who own the boas and pythons are either giving there pets way to big of food in the beginning or food that is way to small when they get bigger cause i never seen a rat that would keep a 8 foot snake from being hungry after 2 or 3 days even the largest of rats. rember his snake aint no ball python so it will require bigger prey as it gets bigger

experience let see i know I've had herps going on close to 30 years not just 1 kind but several of dang almost too many species to list poisonous included

as far as them living most there life in water until quite recently it was not known they ate fish that info wasn't around back when i kept yellow anacondas mainly cause there wasn't forums like this back then. back then when you wanted info you had to crack open a book or call other people who kept them which that was few and far between mainly zoo's had them.

yes i understand people feed f/t but not all snakes will take f/t even harder to get a baby to take them sometimes. look at green tree python breeders who sometimes loose allot of babies cause all they offered a f/t and what has happened over the years they learned to pre-scent the babies meals to get more to eat before they starve to death. i've even heard some of the tree boa and python breeders will offer more natural prey that they would start off on like lizards and tree frogs to get them to eating cause it is allot easier to switch prey on a healthy eating snake then one that refuses to eat

how hard is it to understand i aint telling him to feed his snake only fish. but to give it a varied diet like it would in the wild which when time comes for snake to move to bigger prey it wont refuse to eat cause it only has the taste for 1 prey item here I've seen 2 people say there snake is stuck on this type of food or that type of food. that came about from only feeding that 1 type of prey. but give it a varied diet and those issues become a part of the past.

lets see i can think of a few other species of boas and pythons that spend almost as much time in the water as anacondas do that as far as anybody knows don't eat fish.

also rich Thiamine is something that is added to the preys food so the snake gets more of it. thats why people spend a Lil more money for a good food thats complete for there feeders. and feeding a garter snake or water snake a gold fish is way different. gold fish are nothing other then a gold colored carp so why in all honesty would anybody want to feed an animal something that will eat it's own crap. and then take how feeder fish are kept way over crowded which would encourage them to eat even more crap if they want to live. I'm talking about the person doing there job and finding out if they want to feed fish to do a lil research and find high quality fish to feed not just the run of the meal gold fish to use as food so that peoples snakes get sick after long term eating of a crap eating fish is just sad that the people didn't do there homework and find out there is way healthier choices of fish for there snake to eat red salmon being the best from what i have found but wait that cost more then 25 cents a meal for there pet they claim to love or if they choose to feed gold fish why did they refuse to get the right vitamins and minerals to add to the prey they are feeding to there snakes.

I've always feed a varied diet and not a single herp I've ever owned ever died from poor nutrition or even been sick from it but i do my home work (so to speak) and find out what all in the wild they eat and feed them a couple different prey items. also never had a herp refuse a prey item when it was feeding time(when breeding is different) but all the rest of the year they eat what is offered and i hardly ever feed the same prey item twice in a row. even if I'm just switching back and forth between mice rats and asf. as i sometimes spend a Lil extra cash to feed a gerbil, hamster, or guinea pigs, or rabbit

Thanks

experience let see i know I've had herps going on close to 30 years not just 1 kind but several of dang almost too many species to list poisonous included
    If you've kept hots you could at least get the terminology right, lest you keep spreading the incorrect terms around; it's venomous.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

Denial (08-26-2010),FIEND_FO_LYFE (08-25-2010)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast