Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,168

1 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Tongue vs. Lip Piercing

I'm debating whether to get my tongue or lip (center of the lower lip) pierced.

I know that lip piercings can have bad effects on gums and teeth in the long run from rubbing on them, but since I was born with a tooth defect (two of my front four teeth on the bottom jaw never came in as baby or adult teeth) I figured that it wouldn't be as bad if I got it in the center where there is a gap in my teeth.

If anyone has a tongue piercing or lip piercing (or both) could you please share your experience? (how much did it hurt to have done, how hard was it to care for, etc.)

If I get this, it will be my second piercing (besides ear lobes)

Thanks

Re: Tongue vs. Lip Piercing

I have never had a lip piercing, but I've had my tongue pierced for many years. I've never had any dental problems or problems with it healing. Once it heals enough I put in a much shorter metal bar with plastic balls in case I do crunch down on in accidentally.

I do like the look of lip piercings but I've been pretty much turned entirely off by seeing people who have either had piercings that didn't heal well or that they took out after healing. It's a very unfortunate and unattractive place for a scar.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to unspecified42 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (08-13-2010)

Thanks

I had gotten my tongue pierced back in my college days...surprisingly, it didn't hurt like I had expected it to! Took it out a a few years ago, but still have 3 chipped teeth as a permanent reminder! LOL!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GoBoilers For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (08-15-2010)

Thanks

Lip. i find tongue piercings to not only be disgusting, but overrated.
    (Just my opinion)

its all bout what you want though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FIEND_FO_LYFE For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (08-15-2010)

Thanks

They both can have negative effects on your teeth and gums ,I had 3 tongue piercings and 4 bottom lip piercings for many years and got lucky never had any problems but my personal favorite piercing is and always has been septum

But Id go with lip out of the two choices. Gotta agree with Theo tongue piercings are overrated.

Good luck

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Minja777 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (08-15-2010)

Thanks

iv'e had 6 piercings, 4 currently, and i have me lip. Its not in the center but its off to the left. It honestly didnt hurt at all, idk if i even felt a pinch.. it was nothing, taking care of it was easy, but a pain in the ass to eat with the stud seeing your teeth will get under the flat part and lift up.. and i was told to wait till it heals to switch to a ring, but of course i never listend and changed it i think about 2-3 weeks later. Honestly its not bad, just find a rind size ring that isnt to big that will always hit your teeth and you should be fine.
    1.0 Fire
    1.0 Kitten

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Knytemare For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (08-15-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

When I see threads like these pop up, I can't help but think of the movie 'Rat Race'.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

STjepkes (03-23-2013)

Thanks

I have my lip pierced and my tongue pierced. Never had any problems at all. It's all a matter of choice. I haven't had any problems with either gums or teeth. But know allot of friends that have, by either get'n hit in the mouth or something of that nature. Either or piercing you can get very creative with that's why I chose both.
    Last edited by slitheryz; 08-14-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks

I had a labret (lay-bret, not la-brey, it's latin, not french, and it's from the word labrum (lay-brum) and... another not so nice sounding word, but if you know how to pronounce the other word the pronunciation of labret should be fairly simple).

Anyway, yeah it scraped against my teeth from time to time and didnt leave much there, but I did notice after removing it that my lower incisors were slightly worn where it had been rubbing.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (08-15-2010)

Thanks

I think the biggest mistake people make with either of the piercings is 1. the wrong jewelry and 2. constantly messing/playing with them.

When I first got my labret they would only pierce it with a metal flat back labret even though I had already bought a softer, flexible ptfe bar as I had done enough research to know that the metal can cause damage to the gums and possibly the teeth.
    So once the healing was far enough along to switch it out, I did so. But some of the damage had already been done by the metal bar and it had worn down the gum line on my front two teeth. The teeth themselves hadn't sustained any damage, just the gum line itself.
    So if you are going to get the labret done I recommend buying a ptfe flat back labret beforehand and ignore them when they tell you not to switch out the metal one for the plastic and do it asap unless they'll actually listen and just put it in for you in the first place. Yes it can be a bit rough on the piercing to swap jewelry that soon, but its all a matter of which is worse, a little extra healing time or damage to your gums? Also, once any swelling has gone down I'd recommend either buying a shorter labret, or depending on the type of ptfe jewelry you buy trim it down shorter as the less it can move around the less chance it has of being able to rub against your gums.

As for tongue piercings the worst of it seems to be using metal balls instead of plastic, not cleaning it often enough, and playing with them. So that is another one that I would recommend swapping out at least the balls and if possible a shorter bar once all the swelling has gone down. And DO NOT PLAY WITH IT. Eating more slowly and carefully can also help prevent any damage to your teeth by the balls beating on them constantly.

So that is my advice, but overall I believe both piercings have their negatives it's just a matter of which you prefer and which damage you are more willing to live with. As I said, no damage to the teeth, only the gum line with both a labret and snake bites and I've had them for 4+ years now. Where as the tongue piercing is more likely to do damage to your teeth instead of your gums as it can easily reach every single one of them while eating, talking or playing with the piercing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aleria For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (08-15-2010)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast