Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

0 members and 3,074 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

laid off again :(

I just got the news yesterday that starting tomorrow I'm "temporarily" laid off for about two months. The big kicker is that this also happened in March, I was called back three days later because they laid me off during busy season and realized they needed me back.

This time will probably be different though, we have just gotten news that we lost our largest customer that supplies the work that I do. So I'm not expecting to be called back really.

I'm currently working with a printing publishing company creating custom textbooks for college courses. I have an associates degree in communication design and a bachelors in graphic design. Its just super frustrating that I feel like my education was a waste. I've applied at customer service call center type jobs and they wont hire me...I'm not really understanding why.

Bleh, I'm just feeling down and discouraged right now. Guess its time to file for unemployment and start the job search all over again. It took me 6 months to even find a job out of college.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python Irwin
    0.0.1 Harlequin/Partial Pinstripe Crested Gecko Twix
    0.1 Dog Rubie
    1.1 Cat Flash, Mouse
    1.0 Fiance Levi

Thanks

Re: laid off again :(

im sorry, i dont really know what ur going through cuz ive been in the army forever but im getting out and i will prolly be in the same boat. just keep lookin and applying, as long as ur lookin and doin what u can u shouldnt feel bad
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks

Thanks... I find it hard not to feel like its me. Even though I know its not my fault, and its not something I can control it still takes a toll. The whole applying for jobs thing sucks too, just feeling rejected all the time is a crappy feeling.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python Irwin
    0.0.1 Harlequin/Partial Pinstripe Crested Gecko Twix
    0.1 Dog Rubie
    1.1 Cat Flash, Mouse
    1.0 Fiance Levi

BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sorry that you are finding this ecconomy tough. You sound like what we older folks call a 'Youngin.' That's meant affectionalty. This is certinally the worst economy I've seen in decades, and young college grads are feeling the pinch.

Do know that you have many, many years ahead of you, and that degree will pay off in more ways than you can see right now? Good Job for getting it. You may decide to go into a diffrent line of work, or you may continue in your chosen field, but never, ever look down on your degree. You earned and its one of the few things in life that no one can take away from you, and with a degree like yours, there really are many, many inroads to new opportunities.

You have no control over the market place, but you are young enough to withstand it until the next boom - there are some Baby Boomers right now that would love to be in your shoes.

Good luck my friend. I really do understand, and I am trying to help you look up even if it doesn't immediately come across that way
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

I was "temporarily" laid off in 2009. Took them a year to bring me back

I would guess with the customer service call center jobs, they would believe you'd not take the job seriously since you have a higher education than what the job requires. Many years ago (about 10) I tried to get a second job to help with getting ahead while I was expecting my daughter.

I applied for fast food jobs, I didn't care, I just wanted a little money to get ahead. I remember going into Captain D's and talking to the manager. I filled out the application and he's reading it and gets to the part about previous employers and sees how much I was currently making at my job. He looked me in the eye and said, "I can't hire you because I don't think you'll take this job seriously. You don't NEED it."

I then went to Long John Silvers (yeah, I like seafood and I wanted to get something out of the second job ), I just left out what I was currently doing and told them I could only work nights and weekends. I got hired at something like $6.15 an hour. Within my first month, I was to be promoted to assistant manager but turned it down because I was unwilling to work more than 20 hours a week. Sadly, I laughed at them when they offered me 28k salary. They bumped it to 30k and I said I was sorry, and I would be quitting in 8 weeks. The DM and store manager were upset, and then I came clean. After that, stories about me went around and people started treating me like crap when they found out I had a cushy desk job and I only had the job so I could save up for diapers.

No real point to my story, sorry. I really hope you find something more permanent. I'm not sure what kind of graphic design you do, but I need one of my websites overhauled with a new interface. If you're interested, PM me references and a pay rate.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I know how you feel. I just retired from the military and since I am in a specialized field, jobs are not easy to come by. Add to that, the fact that I am single, means that I don't have a second income to help with bills. I am living on my savings account, hoping something will pan out soon. I don't know if this will help or not, but here is a website I found that talks about different careers and industries for Graphic Designers. Hope it helps and good luck...

http://www.adigitaldreamer.com/artic...esign-jobs.htm
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

I know how you feel; I was a regional director for a large veterinary management company that got bought out by VCA. They laid me off after a week. I moved to Texas got a crappy job that pays $60,000 less a year and I am back to doing what I did when I was 20. I have a bachelor’s degree in pre-veterinary medicine minor in business and masters in small animal physiology /pharmacology. My only option really is research which I just can’t bring myself to do, so here I am just a vet tech again. I feel your pain and I suffer with student loans because I was dumb and didn’t pay them off when I could.