Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

0 members and 3,159 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

best kind of cat litter???

Whats the best type of cat litter?

Thanks

Re: best kind of cat litter???

I dont use cat "litter" so to say. I use this thing called the Breeze System. Its a special type of litter box and I LOVE it. I have two cats and a small house and you cant smell anything coming from the room the litter boxes are in.

The breeze system uses these pellets and then below the litter box there is a drawer with a pee-pad. The pee pad has enzymes in it so you cannot smell the cat pee. I think it says to change the pad once a week, but I just change it once you can see that it is full of urine (even then it barely smells!). You just use a scooper to scoop the poop out from the pellets. The pellets can be changed once a month or so depending on how many cats you have. The cost for the pads and pellets seems like a lot but you have to take into consideration how often you are changing them verses how often you change litter. It evens itself out.

I personally hate the smell of litter, even clean litter. This is the best solution I've found!! Many grocery stores and pet stores sell them. Check it out, I'm sure theres a website too.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python Irwin
    0.0.1 Harlequin/Partial Pinstripe Crested Gecko Twix
    0.1 Dog Rubie
    1.1 Cat Flash, Mouse
    1.0 Fiance Levi

Thanks

Equine Fresh and the Feline Pine Litter Box hands down

Thanks

I just use regular grocery store cat sand (non-scented), but if the cat is de-clawed then it's better to go with a pelleted type of litter (i.e. yesterday's news, etc.)

Thanks

I really like World's Best.
    `*`

Thanks

I almost switched to the Breeze System. Right when I was going to go out and do it, one of my cats got a UTI. If you've ever had a cat with a UTI, then you know they just start trying to pee everywhere. So instead of the Breeze System, I got more litterboxes to scatter around.

If you do use regular litter, I'd recommend the refillable 40 lb Scoopable litter that's offered at most petstores like PetCo, PetSmart, Pet Supplies Plus. You may like saving a couple dollars buying the 40lb buckets at a warehouse club, but what do you do after a year or so of collecting the buckets I have three refillable buckets that we refil in rotation so we essentially should never run out.

Don't bother with the clay chip stuff, it's literally dirt cheap but makes quite a mess and smell. I don't even know what people do with that stuff, it just gets so nasty when it's urinated on. Turns into mushy clay. SO NASTY!

I'd also not bother with the automatic litter boxes. I've had two in my life and the first one I thought the technology just wasn't right and then got another a few years ago. It still sucked.

Also, I keep the main litterbox in a little pantry in the laundry room. It's tough to smell if you're not in the laundry room. I have a friend that made a mini kind of room in his garage and used a cat door between the hall that goes to the garage for the cat to get into the little cat box room.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

yea the litter box smell is driving me crazy and i clean it everyday and it smells the same to me even when clean so im trying to weigh my options

Thanks

My grandparents have cats and they use special kitty it's a clumpy litter stuff, they scoop it everyday and the litterbox never stinks. I like it cause I really don't like the cats they pay too much attention to my herps, and my leopard frog is now 3-legged because of one of those cats. But special kitty works. And my grandparents being retired its cheap and works

Thanks

If the cat is an outdoor type I would suggest the neighbors sandbox. Always a neat way to add to the fun next door. Just kidding of course.