Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

0 members and 3,236 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Incubators & Power Outages

I am going to attempt breeding next season, so I will be checking out incubators, or making my own soon. My question to the experienced breeders, what do you do when there is a power outage? Where I live, power outages are very common and I would have to have some kind of back up battery or generator hooked up to the incubator, I'm assuming. What are some things you guys and gals do to prevent temp changes in a power outage?
    Casey Schneider

Registered User Area 51 Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Incubators & Power Outages

We have a Generac Auto switching generator.

Easily the best investment ever!!
    Mike & Elizabeth Kleist
    Area 51 Exotics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Area 51 Exotics For This Useful Post:

cschneider (08-09-2010)

Thanks

i am curious as well about using on/ off thermostats with my generator. I am aware that proportional thermos. will not work. anyone with experience?
    howard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

On/off thermostats or proportional will be fine on a generator. As long as you dont reach the continuous power limit your fine.

I have an indoor propane heater i use to keep room temps up and 3000watt generator to run incubator and all heat tape in racks. Propane heater is easier than plugging in a 1500watt space heater. I get about 8 hours per 16 oz tank so it works well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

cschneider (08-09-2010),hross (08-08-2010)

Thanks

this past year i had the power go out for several hours. the temps dropped to the high 70's and maintained at those temps until the power came back on. all the eggs hatched out fine. but my heart was pounded every minute until the power came back on....and worse thing about it was that it happened while i was away for work. i got the phone call from my wife....yeah my heart dropped when she told me.

ball python eggs can handle lowers temps much better than higher temps. if you think your outages will be more that several hours. i would think about getting some sort of generator or large UPS to back you up several hours until the power comes back on.

Pitoon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pitoon For This Useful Post:

cschneider (08-09-2010)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I want to be as prepared as I can be, and I would be so disappointed if I lost a clutch because of a loss of power.
    Casey Schneider

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pitoon View Post
    this past year i had the power go out for several hours. the temps dropped to the high 70's and maintained at those temps until the power came back on. all the eggs hatched out fine. but my heart was pounded every minute until the power came back on....and worse thing about it was that it happened while i was away for work. i got the phone call from my wife....yeah my heart dropped when she told me.

ball python eggs can handle lowers temps much better than higher temps. if you think your outages will be more that several hours. i would think about getting some sort of generator or large UPS to back you up several hours until the power comes back on.

Pitoon
    Question: When it did come back on, did the temps spike before stabilizing? My incubator is so well insulated that the heat continues to rise after it reaches the temp it's set to before coming back down and stabilizing (which is why it runs for a few days prior to eggs going in). I would think I'd have a problem if the power went off for an extended period.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Exotic View Post
    Question: When it did come back on, did the temps spike before stabilizing? My incubator is so well insulated that the heat continues to rise after it reaches the temp it's set to before coming back down and stabilizing (which is why it runs for a few days prior to eggs going in). I would think I'd have a problem if the power went off for an extended period.
    if temps drop a lot yes they will spike. To avoid this you set t-stat low. and up the temp 1oF at a time till your back up to optimal temps so theres no spike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Exotic View Post
    to be honest i did not see any spike as this season i incubated all my clutches very high at between 90-92degrees.

however the chance for temp spikes is always there.

i also run my incubator for about a week before i put any clutches in it.....it's a coke fridge.

Pitoon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    if temps drop a lot yes they will spike. To avoid this you set t-stat low. and up the temp 1oF at a time till your back up to optimal temps so theres no spike.
    Yeah, that's what I figured but can't exactly do that if you aren't at home when the power goes off. Fortunately, doesn't really happen in my area unless we get a hurricane in which case I'd be home.