Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

4 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How do you feel about strays?

I feed the strays around my house, but I also trap them for a local TNR program. The cats are spayed or neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, and given a general health exam. Cats that are adoptable, meaning they don't try and rip your hand off through the trap and kept for adoption. Thus far, only two cats have been unadoptable, one I kept and worked with and privately found him a home. The other, Jamie, stayed on the streets because he was too wild. Unfortunately he met his end during the winter when he was struck by a car.

The humane society only euthanizes them if they are FELV or FIV positive, or if they have a debilitating illness and treatment won't help that. One cat had to be put down because he was FELV+. A cat I trapped earlier this week had cancer, but he had been kept for adoption at least, so even though he had to be euthanized, he was kind enough to be a pet if he hadn't been ill. I should have known since he as thin despite regular feeding.

But, I try to focus on the ones that have found homes through the humane society!

Anyway, TNR is a good way to help keep strays and ferals from reproducing. I'd suggest finding a TNR program around to sterilize her, and if it is a program like mine, she would likely be kept for adoption.
    1.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.1 BP Yellow Belly named Yidhra

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stacykins For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (10-08-2010)

Thanks

Re: How do you feel about strays?

Update! I have named the stray momma Mia. She is such a loving girl she has made a good home with us, and even puts up with my 6 month old male. She just had her kittens this morning! I guess she wasn't as far along as I thought.

She had 4 gorgeous silver colored babies. One is gray and black tiger stripped, 2 are a light silver with dark heads and feet, and the other is a dark silver with a black head. They are so adorable! I will try and get pics up tomorrow, but she really doesn't like the camera getting close to her babies.

I love her, and this is going to be her last litter ever. She seems so tired, and just wants to be petted 24/7. Poor girl She's eating really good though, and is a healthy weight even after the kittens. They all have fat plump little bellies. Very healthy babies. Noisy though. Simba, my little male, can't seem to figure out why they keep crying. He keeps his distance though. I make sure of that. But the look on his face is priceless!
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    You'll be surprised at how well Simba will take to the kittens when they're older! I was in the same situation as you...I had a pregnant momma (just walked into the apartment one night!) just about to give birth when another stray male kitten showed up injured (I must have a sign on my door)! Momma was not very fond of Boots at first, but after the kittens were born and several weeks old, Boots took on the role of "big brother." He groomed the babies and cleaned up after their messes when they were going through litter box training.

What was even sweeter (though tragic at the same time) was when I lost Momma when the kittens were 2 months old (she turned up positive for FeLV even though she initially tested negative when I first took her in for a check-up before the kittens were born...PLEASE be sure to test your mama cat!)...Boots seemed to know that she wouldn't be coming home so he took on the role of "Mama"...he even let the babies "nurse" on his tummy! Cats are certainly amazing little creatures!
    Jen

1.0 Clown (Harley)
    0.1 Pied (Betty)
    0.1 Vin Russo BEL (Agatha)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Sir Linus Esq.)
    Enough cats to make me say, "Thank God I know the animal control officer."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12