Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,294

2 members and 3,292 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How do you feel about strays?

So, last a pregnant female shows up at my house. She's seems to be a real sweetheart, and has a collar. No tag, but a collar. I think it's semi-old, but still fits and is in pretty good shape.

I let her in to see if she wanted some food, and she ate like 2 cups of cat food. She was hungry, but not too thursty. I checked her over, and no fleas, or external parasites. She seems in pretty good shape, just maybe a little skinny.

Of course, she seems to want to kill my male kitten. Sorry, had to go back outside. Simba is my baby, and he owns this house. Lol.

Well, she took off and is back. I gave her some more food, but she seems to want to stick around now. I have an animal lover problem, and I want to keep her. I just can't stomach her having her kittens on the street. My cat is up-to-date on all his shots, and she seems healthy so i'm not worried about that. She doesn't want to fight with him, but if he goes up to her she gives a warning growl.

My bf says, no, she's fine outside.

What would you do? Keep her? Or, Let her go, and of course stop feeding her or she'll never leave?
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: How do you feel about strays?

Don't keep her, it is not fair to your current cat to whom you have an obligation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (08-04-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Keep her or turn her in to a no-kill shelter or a rescue. You could also put up signs asking who in the area has that cat, or lost it?
    Leaving her outside to have kittens and then breed more kittens is just not responsible, although I realize it's not "your" cat.
    Personally I would at least get the shots into it, and get it fixed. I wouldn't just stop feeding it though, I'm too much of a softie for that too.
    Just the suggestions I can come up with right now.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If it were ME...I'd take her in. But I'm a softy for homeless animals, and the pregnant thing would just reck me. ME personally, I wouldn't bring her to a shelter because I work at one and see all the cats that are there for months and months, some over a year and I just couldn't contribute to that. I'm not telling YOU what to do but if it were ME, I'd take her in, let her have her kitties, vet check mama and babies, find them all homes...possibly keep mama and a kitten. Thats me.
    briana -
    http://www.iherp.com/dudleydragon

1.0 bearded dragon
    0.1 normal leopard geckos
    1.0 pastel
    0.1 lesser platinum
    0.1 yellow belly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianaK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What are the odds that she has a home, and just comes over here at night to eat my cats food?

And, if I end up having her for a few weeks, what are the odds they will eventually get along? Momma cat vs young male?

Simba is my baby, and by all means he makes the decision. It's either outside, or in my basement until I can figure out what to do with her.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Your kitten and she would get along eventually. I've never had cats I couldn't intergrate.
    You could try attaching a note to her collar and see if that helps? If she belongs to someone, they might get the note and respond in some way.
    I had a cat once that started frequenting some other house. I suspected it for a few weeks, and finally he came back covered in flea powder. LOL. I put a note on the collar and he never came back.
    Note: this was about 30 years ago, when everyone's cats ran loose. I prefer not to let cats roam now... but I was just a kid, and the family views were different.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I had this very same thing happen to me. Except the cat didn't have a collar. I didn't know the cat was pregnant. She was skinny as all get. We gave her milk but since we rented a condo where the owner made us sign a no-pet lease, I couldn't take her in. She left, came back the next day, same thing, I gave her milk. A few days later I open the patio door and she comes running inside the house! She never tried that before. She runs up the stairs and into my closet hops up to the laundry basket and gave birth to 2 kitties... both dead.

That was a tough time for me. We went ahead and took her to a girl I know that rescues cats. She died a few days later.

I felt that if I would have just taken her straight to the rescue, she would probably have been saved, and maybe even her babies too.

On a side note, my lease said no-pets, but for some reason, my bird and fish didn't count as pets. Crazy world we live in.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (08-05-2010)

Thanks

Every animal I own is an unwanted, dropped off, or fostered. So I know where you are coming from. Stop, this mama cat could be bringing in more than just kitties. There are some contagious diseases that could kill your baby. It's not just the fleas and ticks you have to worry about or whether your baby has all it's shots. The best would be to have her taken to a shelter so she can have her kittens be spayed and the kittens fixed so there aren't anymore unwanted starving kitties. Taking her to a shelter is not being mean, she will be fed and bathed and given all she needs and the kitties will come into the world in better shape.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to slitheryz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just a couple weeks ago I found a kitten outside when it ran right up to me while I was walking my dog. Scary situation as my dog likes to eat cats and I thought my dog killed the poor thing. I ran my dog back to the house and ran back to where it happened. Nothing. Then a couple of the neighborhood kids walk up holding the little ball of fluff saying he just walked right up to them. My roommate had finally caught up to me since when I'd run our dog back to the house I just got the chance to yell, "I think Kaiya killed a kitten!!!" before running back out.

I took the kitten in as he followed me and my roommate back home after we took out the trash [I was also taking the trash to the dumpster while walking my dog]. So we took him in and gave him tuna and water. He didn't have a collar and was very skinny. It was also 102* that day so I told myself I'd release him that night when it was cooler out. I tried but he followed me back home and just walked around me playing with various things when I stood outside to see if he'd just walk away. So I kept him and took him to a free vet the next day for a check up and to see if he had a microchip. They said he was perfectly healthy and didn't have a chip. So we asked our friends if any of them could take him since our dog would have a field day on him if she got in our room [we kept him in my room with the door closed]. A couple said they would if we couldn't find anyone else because they didn't want him to go to a shelter. And currently, one of my friends is taking care of him to see how he is at my friend's house and what-not.

Since the guy you found has a collar, definitely put up some found signs and maybe call some local vets to see if they know anyone that lost a cat or maybe have the cat on record.
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to maverickgtr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Your kitten and she would get along eventually. I've never had cats I couldn't intergrate.
    You could try attaching a note to her collar and see if that helps? If she belongs to someone, they might get the note and respond in some way.
    I had a cat once that started frequenting some other house. I suspected it for a few weeks, and finally he came back covered in flea powder. LOL. I put a note on the collar and he never came back.
    Note: this was about 30 years ago, when everyone's cats ran loose. I prefer not to let cats roam now... but I was just a kid, and the family views were different.
    I had the same thing happen with my cat, she came home one day with a note attached to her collar lol, traitor that she was
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast