Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

1 members and 3,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Registered User PassionsPythons's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe Something New. Need Opinions! (DUW!!!!!!!!)

This story begins 2 years ago. A friend of mine was getting out of the ball python business and she was selling everything she had for very cheap. Unfortunately by the time I got some money saved up and was ready to buy a lot of what she had she was almost completely out of ball pythons. Well the only thing she had left was a captive hatched dinker female and an albino female. I ended up buying both snakes and only keeping the dinker female. This year I bred this female to my spider male. She laid 7 good eggs for me and 0 slugs. All eggs went full term and are now out of the eggs and waiting to shed. It looks like I may have something going on here. There were 2 'normals' 2 that have bellies like mom and 1 'normal spider' and 2 spiders that had bellies like mom. Its a very subtle gene whatever it is, because the first day out of the egg I didn't notice it, but after 3 days it's becoming more and more apparent that some aren't like others.

I've attached a few photos so you can let me know what you think.

Starting with Spiders:

All of them together - Notice one is much darker and different than the other two. The darker one of the three has the dirty 'normal' spider belly.

'Normal' Spider - At least this is what my opinion is as of right now. This spider is much darker than the other two, and it has the typical dirty spider belly.

'Dinker' Spider #1 - This belly is different than the first as well as the overall color of the animal. It head is much lighter also.

Dinker Spider #2 - This belly pops even more to me. The colors again are very much lighter than the 'normal' spider.

And now for the normals:

As a group, and individual belly shots:

'dinker' #1 - not as clean a belly as I would have liked, but its not quite as normal.

'dinker' #2 - Clean belly, almost just like mom.

'normal' #1 - Just that... a nice normal.

'normal' #2 - Again, nice normal.

And here is a picture of mom so you can compair:

Last edited by PassionsPythons; 08-02-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks

Re: Maybe Something New. Need Opinions! (DUW!!!!!!!!)

The normals all look like normals to me. Worst that is going to happen is you are going to prove her out since you have her young now and either she will be something or not.

Im not good with spiders so cant help ya there. I would just say try to prove it out by breeding kids back to mom if you think its something.
    1.4 Pastels, 1.0 Double Het Albino/Pied, 0.1 Caramel Albino, 1.0 Pastel het Orange Ghost, 0.1 Pastel pos. het clown, 1.1 Pos. Het Pieds, 1.1 High Yellows, 0.1 Het Albino, 1.1 Grazianni Line Cinnamon Pastel, 0.1 Grazianni Gargoyle, 1.1 Woods Line Het Red Axanthic, 1.0 Bumble Bee, 0.1 Het Bell Ghost, 0.2 Hat Ghosts, 0.1 Fire, 1.1 Vanillas, 1.0 WC normal, 1.1 100% het clown, 4.2 dinkers, 0.1 yb, 1.2 mojaves, 1.0 VPI Axanthic, 0.3 Possible DH VPI Snows, Lots of Normals

"People fear what they dont understand"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to scratchypen For This Useful Post:

PassionsPythons (08-03-2010)

Thanks

First, congrats on the beautiful clutch!

I'd call them all normal myself... I don't see anything that'd make me call mom a dinker, she strikes me as a very pretty normal.

To be honest, the 2 normals you list as just normals strike me as the most aberrant ones with all the belly markings.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bad-one For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

I see no indication of anything but normal spiders.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I didn't notice this until yesterday night. But if you look closely at the second 'dinker' belly shot, just above my wedding band there is a tad of orange on the lower left belly, well it comes up the side as well. The second 'dinker' baby is also a partial ringer.

Thanks for the comments though. Like I said whatever it is that is going on it's very subtle, because I didn't notice a difference in the babies until yesterday. I can't wait to see what they look like when they shed. Whether or not something is going on... You are right... I still have nice looking babies. Thanks.
    Last edited by PassionsPythons; 08-03-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the spiders.. they are one of my favorite morphs to hatch out.. It never gets old...

Second its been my experience that spider can vary from a very dark olive green to a very light straw color..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    Congrats on the spiders.. they are one of my favorite morphs to hatch out.. It never gets old...

Second its been my experience that spider can vary from a very dark olive green to a very light straw color..
    Yeah It's probably nothing. If anything I think my female might be het pied. Not saying she is het pied.... but she has the tracks. I pondered on that a bunch before I bred her. I think I'm going to hold back the ringer male normal from the clutch and breed it back to her and see what happens. Probably nothing, but I think it's cool that I got so many different looking animals from the same clutch. You never know... and subtle genetic traits is how the yellow belly was identified and proven. We'll see, it's always worth a shot.

Thanks

all 100% normals