Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,481

1 members and 3,480 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kill pen horses

Thanks

Re: Kill pen horses

Horses are not slaughtered for human consumption on the American market (there may be a small demand for it here but not nearly like other countries). The meat is exported and/or used for pet food, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I don't own horses, I've only ridden a horse at the fair, I don't know anything about them outside of Preakness...

But...

We don't eat horses because we don't eat dogs. It's the same thing. Some time in American history, it was culturally accepted that an animal species generally accepted as a human companion deserve to die like humans - not for food consumption.

In the Philippines (I'm Filipino), dog meat can be sold at the market. Americans scoff at this calling Filipinos uncivilized. I understand the sentiment because I agree that the civility of a society can be measured by the way they treat their pets.

Members of my family became an advocate for dogs and are working towards changing the culture.

The way I see it - horses are bunched into the same category as dogs. Generally accepted as human companions. So, it became frowned upon to eat horses. I get it. I understand it.

So, slaughterhouses for horse meat for me is not the answer to animal cruelty. Just like selling dog meat at the market is not the answer to dog cruelty.

But - kill shelters for dogs are necessary. I see that. There are just people who shed the responsibility of caring for their pets and there are not enough resources to care for these abandoned animals. Therefore, kill shelters for horses may also be necessary.

Now, I don't know what you mean by slaughterhouse - if you mean slaughtering for eating, then I'm not in agreement with that. Kill shelters - like the ones they have for dogs - ok. I can support that.

Just my 1 cent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coldblooded View Post
    Horses are not slaughtered for human consumption on the American market (there may be a small demand for it here but not nearly like other countries). The meat is exported and/or used for pet food, as far as I know.
    No difference. Somebody is still eating it outside of the worms that clean out buried carion. Dogs and cats in kill shelters or euthanized at the vet are usually cremated.

It is stupid for Americans to say "we don't eat our horses" yet sell them for somebody else to eat.
    Last edited by anatess; 02-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yep. There are technically no laws against eating horse, or even dog, in the US, but there is a very strong taboo against doing it and you would be hard pressed to find horse meat for human consumption. Most horses are given vaccinations and medications that deem them unsuitable for human consumption-it says right on the container-so if you wanted to safely eat a horse it would have to be raised like cattle.

There aren't kill shelters, that I know of, for horses because they are very expensive to dispose of unless you have a large plot of land and big machines. There are cremation facilities but those cost money. That's why slaughter houses are the closest is gets for horses who are unlucky enough to end up with bad owners. Some of the bad owners are decent enough to drop the horses off in national parks before they die, I suppose that's better than sending them to their deaths-I'm assuming that's what they think as well-but it's causing lots of problems with all the loose horses.

A friend of mine loads up his horses and drives to Colorado, I believe, to go to the national/state parks to pick up free horses. The rangers count how many horses you have in the trailer when you go into the park to ensure that you bring back all your horses. If you bring back any extra horses they thank you for it! A lot of the horses he picks up are ex race horses (we/he assumes, they have tattoos on their lips). I'm not sure if he has ever looked any of them up by their tattoos, but they are nice looking horses! I don't know if this was ever a problem before horse slaughter was shut down, but I've been hearing about how out of control dropping off horses has become in the last year or two.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No difference. Somebody is still eating it outside of the worms that clean out buried carion. Dogs and cats in kill shelters or euthanized at the vet are usually cremated.

It is stupid for Americans to say "we don't eat our horses" yet sell them for somebody else to eat.
    That's why the horse slaughter ban makes absolutely no sense to me. If we are so worked up about horses being slaughtered why is it still legal to send them to slaughter in other countries. It's a worthless waste of time law.

As I said before, if our country isn't willing to protect horses against abuse, their only way out is slaughter. I'm not pro slaughter, but if the authorities are unwilling to step up and take some action I would rather them be slaughtered than die a slow horrible death from starvation or infection.

If I called the authorities on a cat or dog that looked like the horses I've called about, the police would be out there in a heart beat. If horses don't have the dignity to be protected from abuse/neglect like cats and dogs, why are they protected from slaughter like cats and dogs? It's a double edged sword.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 02-17-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks

As Slithern noted, kill shelters for cats and dogs are no where near what would be needed for something similar for horses.

Also, as disgusting and horrible as it is, not all euthanized pets are cremated. There has been a lot of evidence stacking up (including an EPA document) that cheap pet food companies have bought 'animal by-products' from animal shelters to use in their pet food.

Something else from the FDA

Yeah, fun stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coldblooded For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (02-14-2013)

Thanks

I don't own horses, I've only ridden a horse at the fair, I don't know anything about them outside of Preakness...

But...

We don't eat horses because we don't eat dogs. It's the same thing. Some time in American history, it was culturally accepted that an animal species generally accepted as a human companion deserve to die like humans - not for food consumption.

In the Philippines (I'm Filipino), dog meat can be sold at the market. Americans scoff at this calling Filipinos uncivilized. I understand the sentiment because I agree that the civility of a society can be measured by the way they treat their pets.

Members of my family became an advocate for dogs and are working towards changing the culture.

The way I see it - horses are bunched into the same category as dogs. Generally accepted as human companions. So, it became frowned upon to eat horses. I get it. I understand it.

So, slaughterhouses for horse meat for me is not the answer to animal cruelty. Just like selling dog meat at the market is not the answer to dog cruelty.

But - kill shelters for dogs are necessary. I see that. There are just people who shed the responsibility of caring for their pets and there are not enough resources to care for these abandoned animals. Therefore, kill shelters for horses may also be necessary.

Now, I don't know what you mean by slaughterhouse - if you mean slaughtering for eating, then I'm not in agreement with that. Kill shelters - like the ones they have for dogs - ok. I can support that.

Just my 1 cent.
    I can't believe that someone who frequents a snake forum would write something this ridiculous. Let me get this straight. You are against killing horses for dogs to eat but you are ok with killing horses and cremating them. Once again you are fine with the death of the horse. The problem you have is that another animal could gain sustenance from the death of the horse. How exactly do you justify your snake keeping. If this is what it takes to be civilized I am not interested. You appear to be pro dog, what should dogs eat. Should we raise and kill a cow for dog food and then cremate the horse? As a society we have really lost touch. We need to minimize suffering. If using the body of a horse can keep us from having to kill some other more socially expectable animal then how could that be bad. In case anyone wants to take my position to the extreme to rebut my statements let me do that for you. I am an organ donor and if it was legal I would have no problem with my family taking whatever is left and having it rendered for animal food. I would much rather my pets get a good meal then have some ashes for my family display on the mantel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    I can't believe that someone who frequents a snake forum would write something this ridiculous. Let me get this straight. You are against killing horses for dogs to eat but you are ok with killing horses and cremating them. Once again you are fine with the death of the horse. The problem you have is that another animal could gain sustenance from the death of the horse. How exactly do you justify your snake keeping. If this is what it takes to be civilized I am not interested. You appear to be pro dog, what should dogs eat. Should we raise and kill a cow for dog food and then cremate the horse? As a society we have really lost touch. We need to minimize suffering. If using the body of a horse can keep us from having to kill some other more socially expectable animal then how could that be bad. In case anyone wants to take my position to the extreme to rebut my statements let me do that for you. I am an organ donor and if it was legal I would have no problem with my family taking whatever is left and having it rendered for animal food. I would much rather my pets get a good meal then have some ashes for my family display on the mantel.
    I know this isn't directed at me but I did want to clarify something that I said. (I do understand and agree with what you are saying)

In my previous post in this thread, I talked about animals that were euthanized chemically being rendered into pet food.

The largest problem with this (aside from the fact that most owners have no idea that this could happen when their animals are euthanized) is that the medications the animals were on, along with the chemical (pentobarbital) used to euthanize the animal have the potential to be incredibly harmful to animals that ingest them.

The pet food industry is a whole different animal (no pun intended) of a thread so I won't continue to go off topic.

Thanks

I know this isn't directed at me but I did want to clarify something that I said. (I do understand and agree with what you are saying)

In my previous post in this thread, I talked about animals that were euthanized chemically being rendered into pet food.

The largest problem with this (aside from the fact that most owners have no idea that this could happen when their animals are euthanized) is that the medications the animals were on, along with the chemical (pentobarbital) used to euthanize the animal have the potential to be incredibly harmful to animals that ingest them.

The pet food industry is a whole different animal (no pun intended) of a thread so I won't continue to go off topic.
    A really good point. You are correct in that my post was in no way directed at you. Using euthanized animals for food is wrong on many levels. The chemicals are of course an issue. As much as I would be ok with myself or my animals being used as food (assuming it was safe to do so) its certainly not ok to do so without the consent of the owner. Its also not ok to sell animals feed with ingredients misrepresented.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Also, as disgusting and horrible as it is, not all euthanized pets are cremated. There has been a lot of evidence stacking up (including an EPA document) that cheap pet food companies have bought 'animal by-products' from animal shelters to use in their pet food.

Something else from the FDA

Yeah, fun stuff.
    Oh my god that is sick.... I was reading what the chemical is used for besides euthanasia. It's used for sedation and treating seizures. I've never heard of treating farm animals for seizures and rarely sedating them, if ever. I don't believe cows are ever sedated, definitely not chickens or anything. Horses are sedated often for teeth removal, dental work, surgeries etc. But I'm thinking the chemical would be expelled from the body after some time. Animals euthanized then turned to food would probably have high amounts in the body though.... that's really sad.

Thanks

Red face Re: Kill pen horses

I can't believe that someone who frequents a snake forum would write something this ridiculous. Let me get this straight. You are against killing horses for dogs to eat but you are ok with killing horses and cremating them. Once again you are fine with the death of the horse.
    I don't see why it is ridiculous for the same reason that I don't see why the taboo against feeding your pet poodle Fido to your snake is ridiculous.

I am fine with the death of anything. I am not fine with inhumane killing of anything. And I am not fine with animal abuse.

The problem you have is that another animal could gain sustenance from the death of the horse. How exactly do you justify your snake keeping. If this is what it takes to be civilized I am not interested. You appear to be pro dog, what should dogs eat. Should we raise and kill a cow for dog food and then cremate the horse? As a society we have really lost touch.
    Sure, farm a horse for dog food then. Or farm a dog for snake food. But, it rankles the sensibilities to ask a dog or a horse to serve his human master for the length of his lifetime then feed that same dog/horse off when it dies.

We, snake keepers all feel that sensibility when we get attached to our feeder rats. I didn't make the rules - American culture did.

And, in case you don't know, I was paraphrasing Mahatma Ghandi's quote. The actual quote is:
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"

Yeah, it would be awesome if you can discuss these points after you get off your high horse - pun intended. Throwing insults serve nothing but to make you sound idiotic.
    Last edited by anatess; 02-17-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast