Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

1 members and 3,378 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crickets...

Thanks

Crickets...

Well... I was giving my beardie a warm bath a couple days ago and she poo'd in the water. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed there were undigested cricket heads in the poo as I was cleaning it out of the sink. No other part of the cricket was undigested that I could tell and I haven't noticed anything like this since.

Do you think maybe it was just because the warm bath made her poo sooner than she needed to? She didn't seem impacted or anything and had been poo'ing normally before and after.
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Re: Crickets...

Wow I have never had that happen...but I have seen undiegested carrots.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Usually this means they don't have enough heat to digest properly...but, my beardies always have nasty pieces left in their poop from the roaches, even though they have the right temps, what are your temps?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AkHerps For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (08-01-2010)

Thanks

Her basking side is mid-90's and I'm unsure about the cool side of the tank. We're working on getting a new infrared temperature gun so when we do I can give you actual temps but I know the hot side is 92 under the main branches she sits on now [the digital gauge was at the perfect spot for where we had her basking spot when she was little but when we rearranged the tank we couldn't get the gauge off]. I cleaned out her tank today and looked at her poo and there wasn't anything remotely like this again.

Though now that I think about it that day she was chilling on the cooler side of the tank most of the time. Maybe that was it?
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgtr View Post
    Her basking side is mid-90's and I'm unsure about the cool side of the tank. We're working on getting a new infrared temperature gun so when we do I can give you actual temps but I know the hot side is 92 under the main branches she sits on now [the digital gauge was at the perfect spot for where we had her basking spot when she was little but when we rearranged the tank we couldn't get the gauge off]. I cleaned out her tank today and looked at her poo and there wasn't anything remotely like this again.

Though now that I think about it that day she was chilling on the cooler side of the tank most of the time. Maybe that was it?
    92 is way to low, try for between 105 and 110. I bet that was it. And also for beardies, unlike snakes, you go for air temp and not surface temp. They bask from above lights, not belly heat. Beardies actually do not feel heat on their underside, that is why if you have a heat rock they could be getting burt and not even flinch or know it.
    Last edited by Beardedragon; 08-02-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

I agree, 92 is wayy too low. I use 100 wat bulbs and make it so he can get about 6 inches from it. I have a cement block under the heat bulb which soaks up the heat and gives him belly heat while basking at the same time.

Thanks

I know 92 is low but the thermometer is under her treehouse where she actually basks. I know the treehouse part where she lays is hotter, I just have no way of knowing right now. If we don't need an infrared one then I'll just grab another digital gauge the next time I'm at petsmart and attach it up by her actual bask spot. We have an extra heat lamp we can put up there now though but I've never had this problem before. All the rest of her poo is completely digested. It's gross but I checked her poo yesterday when I completely cleaned out her tank.

I'm not saying y'all are wrong I'm just trying to figure out all possibilities. But I will definitely grab another digital gauge and check the temps in the actual basking spot.
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

Thanks

I agree with the others. The water just relaxes them. It doesn't speed up the digestion process. By the time it comes out as poop, it's already gone through the processing in the intestines.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgtr View Post
    I know 92 is low but the thermometer is under her treehouse where she actually basks. I know the treehouse part where she lays is hotter, I just have no way of knowing right now. If we don't need an infrared one then I'll just grab another digital gauge the next time I'm at petsmart and attach it up by her actual bask spot. We have an extra heat lamp we can put up there now though but I've never had this problem before. All the rest of her poo is completely digested. It's gross but I checked her poo yesterday when I completely cleaned out her tank.

I'm not saying y'all are wrong I'm just trying to figure out all possibilities. But I will definitely grab another digital gauge and check the temps in the actual basking spot.
    Do not go with Gauges, go out and get a Thermostat with a Probe and measure the spot that way.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Due to a lack of funds because of a recent vet bill for our dog and the prices I've seen on thermostats, that'll be a couple weeks out [job transfer bull with hoop jumping and all!]. BUT we did get the digital gauge moved so from that it's reading 105.8 degrees and 28% humidity [is this too high? she's shedding right now so we fogged over her a little because she was resisting the warm bath tonight].

So it was 105.8 at her basking spot when we had the lights and what not on. Our house doesn't drop below 75 at night and my room [where her tank is] is usually a few degrees higher than the rest of the house even when the lights are off and we have a Night Glo bulb too. Nothing has changed about the husbandry since the cricket head in poo incident except the humidity and that was just for a little bit today.
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast