Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,230

0 members and 3,230 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Gained 100+ grams in 2 weeks :]

I've threads about my bp being well underweight. Poor thing was prob under 250 grams at over a year old when I got him. I put a pic of about 6 months ago. And now an updated pic. I've switched him to rats finally these past 2 weeks! A little Big but he got em down :]
    I can finally see him beefing up.

He has gained over 100 grams these past 2 weeks! He was about 340 grams two weeks ago and now weighs in at 450 grams! :] Yay!

I cant wait to see what he gains over the next 3 weeks. Then Im off to college. Cant wait to see what he looks like I come home and visit after 2 months!! :]]]]

Heres the pics:
    Skinny Xander right after I got him.

Now him nice and plump and longer! :] after 6 months. Now I know why ppl reccomend rats over mice!
    Im def sticking with them!

Thanks

Re: Gained 100+ grams in 2 weeks :]

Yeah he didnt look too healthy before. Get him at a pet store?
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

lookin good now
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

I actually got him at an exotic store. Where they breed a lot of snakes. Morphs and what not. It has a pretty good rep. But shortly after I got him I discovered he had mites bad! They swore up and down their other snakes didn't have them. IDK where else he wld of got them. And then they preached to me how i wasn't spose to be handling him for a couples weeks. Well If I hadnt handled him his mites would've gotten worse!!! Oi vey!
    Cldnt believe he was spose to be over a yr old. Idk if they underfed him or what.

I saw their baby spiders and pastels the other day and they were plump lil things. So maybe mine was a runt :/

AHH I wanted to buy that pastel so badly!!! But im going to college :[[[[[ Waiting sucks.
    Last edited by Generationshell; 08-01-2010 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks

I could swear the first picture looks like he is only 4 months old. Looks like a chubster now! GJ on getting him some weight.

Thanks

Nope they said he was well over a year old!
    haha Im sure soon he'll be a fatty. But Ill still love him.
    Darn thing peed on me and my bed today!

Thanks

Pastels and spiders have a profit margin, normals arent extremely desirable So it's possible they underfed him so as to not put resources to an animal that wouldnt end up making them back the money they put into him.

Also, did you hit his cage with some PAM? Personally I do a d-miting on all new animals I get (no matter how much rep someone has, it doesnt matter, it's part of my QT process and I would suggest anyone getting an animal from me or anyone else do it as well) as well as whatever container they came in. I've never had a mite problem, RI, or anything bad nor do I ever want to nor do I think anyone should ever let themselves be at high risk for one. Not trying to preach, just my

Anyway, glad he's looking good for you now and hope he perks up and becomes a great little pet

Thanks

No PAM but I used tiny pieces of a pest strip. And Natural Chemisty Reptile Spray.. And many times staring at his body and getting & killing anyone I saw. I'd check my hands too. Pits/chin/under scales everything. Nuked his cage everyday. And finally they dissapeared!!! So hes been mite free for many months. Thank goodness!!!!! Stubborn lilo things!

The owner was actually very resonable price wise he was selling a super bright/hot pastel female for 130!!! AAHHH It clda been mine lol

I think I heard someone say sometimes ppl underfeed them to stunt their growth so they appear smaller and more desirable to buyers longer.
    Last edited by Generationshell; 08-01-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks

That is true, but to those of us who know BPs and know how they should look we see a triangular body and weep. Well, okay, maybe just me. But it's a sad sight and I see it at pet stores frequently. However an exotics store should know better Just because many people like smaller starting snakes doesnt mean they should sacrifice the snakes health just to make a sale a year later.

Thanks

I know it really is horrible. :[ Poor snakes. It's hard to grasp that a reputable store would do that. And to let the snakes have mites on top of it! Underfed and mites is so unacceptable! Where are the regulations for owning exotic stores. No one would let a pet shop abuse their puppies or kittens. Yet is accepted in a Reptile shop. Too many ppl see the snakes as evil beasts that will kill you any chance they get and feel they have no place in this world so it becomes survival of the fittest. Who cares if the pet shop or petsmart is making their snakes suffer? They do absolutely nothing to prevent it or rate the conditions of a reptile store. :[

haha sorry for the rant, but even peta doesnt support reptile abuse :[

Thats it someone needs to start a reptile group like peta. Against reptile abuse and to enforce pet shop regulations and fight the laws against snakes. There are more Dog attacks each year than snakes killing ppl. WTF

Ahh im done. Someone rlly shld start a group. I feel as if Ive had an epiphany lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast