Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,061

5 members and 3,056 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Believe it or not...I'm still alive...

Hey everybody,

Just wanted to take a quick moment to check in and let y'all know I'm still alive and kicking. Kicking boxes, mostly. This move has proven to be one of the most stressful moves ever, and is dragging out forever. I only just got real internet access today, and that is just on a laptop that I can't type on very well. Hopefully we'll have the office fully unpacked and assembled tomorrow with my beloved desktop restored and online. After that, I'll be able to log in regularly at least, if not often, until the rest of the house is finished.

The move started out lovely, with an overnight stay at Laura's (Laooda's) home. She's such a gracious hostess and her hubby is very tolerant of our invasion! They have an amazing menagerie of animals, all amazingly loved and cared for. I love visiting her and miss her already! (Muuuwah to Laura!)

The next morning, we're driving from Houston up to the D/FW area where we plan to spend a few days with family before beginning the final leg of the journey to Colorado. At about 1pm, we're 75-100 miles south of Dallas...pretty much out in the middle of nowhere....and the transmission goes out on the van. It was horribly scary, but God was watching over us and it did not freeze up completely. I was able to nurse the van along at about 30 mph until we could find an exit that might lead to a town...another 15 miles off the freeway, we make it to a tiny little town that has a tire/repair shop. The guys there take a look and tell me, "Yup...the transmission is blown to hell." "Can you fix it?" I ask. "Sure, but we don't have the parts. It could take a few days to order them in."

So picture us stuck in the Texas summer heat...me, two kids, a dog, and a box full of snakes...nowhere to go and no way to get there. However, we were still being cared for...the guys at the shop were kind enough to let me and the kids and all our critters camp out in their tiny little office until a tow truck (from Dallas) could come get the van...and my Mom (from Ft. Worth) could come get me and the kids and the critters. It took several hours. The kids and even the dog were amazing patient and well behaved throughout the whole ordeal. The snakes didn't really care.

After a nearly $400 tow bill....the Honda repair guy tells me it's going to cost $6000 to fix it. ........so...the few days I intended to spend relaxing and visiting before the big move turned into a frantic week of shopping for a new car. Was not fun. The old van had been long paid for and I was NOT wanting a new car payment at this time. ~sigh~ Oh well....I AM happy with the new van we ended up with. An '09 Toyota Sienna...my pretty red Swagger Wagon. If I gotta pay for it, I'm at least gonna be really happy with it.

Finally, we get on the road to Colorado. That leg was uneventful. We expected to stay in an empty house for 2-3 days until our furniture and junk arrived...but then I found out that our shipment had been delayed...indefinitely. They could not even hazard a guess as to when it might be delivered. I called up my miracle-worker of a husband (who was still in Florida) and vented...and then he turned around (as I knew he would ) and yelled at the right people...got our shipment contracted out with a new company and got it on the road. So....it was only a week late in arriving. Living in an empty house that long...even in beautiful Colorado....ugh.

Meanwhile, back in Florida, Dean had kept out a load of stuff to carry out on his own truck. (Because we get paid to move part of our stuff ourselves if we want) Turns out he kept out ALL the computers...and he had the laptop as well. So even though we had all our stuff here...I still did not have even a junker computer to hook up.

Since then, it's been the typical hassle of unpacking and putting things together. This is essentially a three-story house...so my legs are getting a good workout on all those stairs. My hubby and sons arrived day before yesterday, and we're thrilled to have our family fully together again and everyone safe and sound.

The house is about 80% unpacked...but the last couple rooms are pretty challenging. Sorry I've rambled on so much....just needed to vent a bit and thought I'd share with anyone who was bored enough to read it all.

Miss you guys like crazy! I should be able to check in more often after tomorrow....and fully back in the saddle by next week. I'm just gonna hit "submit" now, before I start typing even more.....
    -- Judy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Laooda (07-30-2010)

Thanks

Re: Believe it or not...I'm still alive...

Welcome back!

now.. GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ha ha, Nate...that's all I've been doing!

PS to my original note...I know I have a ton of PM's waiting...I promise I'll get to them, but maybe not tonight...sorry!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Hey, it's nice to be alive.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Ha ha, Nate...that's all I've been doing!
    I know

Seriously, Glad you guys made it safely and are getting settled in!

Glad to see you back here too

Banned
    Thanks

Why didn't you ask Big Gunns to borrow his private jet? He sometimes lends it out to people he knows.

At the very least you should have dropped his name and got that trans for free instead of 6k.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome back Judy - it's been lonesome without you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

That was nice of Laura!!! She is a cool chic Sorry about your car but glad to see you made it there safe!! Welcome back
    Jeff Bernard

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

Laooda (07-30-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Glad to hear you've arrived and are safe.

Thanks

I am so glad you were watched over so well. Welcome back and I hate to say it but we will all miss you in September at WARE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast