Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

2 members and 3,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Mice Direct FDA Recall

Quote Originally Posted by izoid View Post
    Help me understand why it is OK to sell dead rodents contaminated with salmonella.
    If you're serious about this statement, you will simply not understand.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

theGuardian (07-28-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izoid View Post
    Talk about making things up. What got into you. Nothing that you have accused me of saying is in fact what I said....go back and read my posts and then take a comprehension class.

1. I never ranted about how bad their facility is.
    2. I never said their live animals carry salmonella.
    3. I never disparaged them at all.

Please do not misrepresent what I have said as it only makes you look bad.

It is great that they are going the extra step of irradiating their stock, good for them. It still does not change the fact that their product was recalled due to salmonella contamination.

And BTW....they took my whole happy meal, not just the fries.
    First, sorry, I mistook you for the OP with a name starting with a small "i" and similiar postings.
    Second, "The question that needs to be answered is how did this salmonella outbreak cross contaminate the entire product line. This very fact would indicate that proper hygiene practices may not have been followed. " Says you are disparaging the facility.
    "watch cops on TV all the time and the guilty party is always at a loss as to what they may have done, it is always the other guy." says you are pointing to them as "guilty parties".

Sorry I didn't "quote" those officially.. I've never figured out how to do that more than once in a post.

Just because a facility produced some of the feeders recalled/contaminated, doesn't mean all the feeders came from them, doesn't mean everything they have is contaminated, and isn't absolutely indictive of poor husbandry.

If we meet in person sometime, I'll buy you a happy meal though, cause a trauma like that can follow you for years. I might steal the toy out of it though.. if it's a really awesome one.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Here is the Statement issued by Mice Direct
    https://micedirect.com/2010recall/index.htm

Valued customers,

This is to inform you that MiceDirect has issued a voluntary recall. Over the years we have regularly tested our rodents for any potential issues. During one of these recent tests it was detected that a portion of our rodents may be potentially carrying Salmonella. Because of this we are offering a voluntary recall option to our customers.

Facts:

This particular type of Salmonella cannot be passed to your reptile. Reptiles carry other specific strains.

Salmonella is common in almost all groups of both domestic and wild animals
    Salmonella can make you sick, small children and frail or elderly people are more susceptible.
    Washing your hands prevents this risk of illness from Salmonella. Please wash your hands when handling.

When handling raw product, such as rodents, chicken, pork, beef or any dead animal, it is very important to thoroughly wash your hands. Washing your hands should keep you from becoming sick in the event you come into contact with Salmonella.

What we are doing:

We begun a voluntary program to irradiate all pet food products.

All of our products starting on July 24, 2010 are irradiated, in a similar manner to raw food for human consumption.
    We are irradiating our products at a level equivalent to the standards for human consumption.
    This product continues to be fully acceptable for consuming reptiles.
    You can be confident that our quality standards meet or exceed the standards currently held by other companies.

You can be confident that our quality standards are superior.

Recall Information:

If you have unused product that was purchased between May 2009 and July 23, 2010, please contact us. We are happy to replace product purchased between the above stated dates with our new irradiated product at your request.

We take the quality of our product very seriously. Please contact us for further assistance.

To view our official press release you may Click Here.

Sincerely,

John Callaham

JULY 28, 2010

5. The Following User Says Thank You to theGuardian For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (07-29-2010)

Thanks

meaning how could a place that shipped that many contaminated animals live or dead not notice some of the live ones were sick rember not all animals become carriers but get sick and die from it also is what I'm saying. and if you work with an animal day in and day out you get to the point you can tell by way it acts

and I've worked with chickens when i was younger and not all chicken stay healthy they to get sick so like i said my point is how if they had that much contaminated frozen feeders did they not notice it in the live animals some part of the cleanliness process got over looked or side stepped to fill orders at some point maybe employ x went to the bathroom and was back-up at his section forgot to wash hands or something or maybe went to outside break area and put some contaminated chicken on the grill who knows who cares but there has to be some kind of standard set in place so this never happens again not just nuking the mice but quality control as far as if anything sold at least hourly I've been in couple different kraft factories and kal-can factories and seen them do hourly checks on food being sold at all stage of processing and car factories are the same qc once an hour on everything they process

i must say if they are working with the FDA to take steps to make sure this never happens again i take my hat off to them. but i can think of one good rule that would make something like this from ever happening again in other factories they do quality tests hourly once an hour all feeder sales people should do an in house test for salmonella contamination nothing can be shipped till test is all good. and must be kept on file or reported

I've seen pharmaceutical lab mice and how they are kept what use to be up-john in Kalamazoo Michigan had hairless mice they paid 1 million a piece for to use for drug testing totally clean even if got to go in room and breath the same air as them you had to be sterilized and have up-to date shots for everything and thats just to fix a blown plug-in receptacle

that is the only way they will get rid of or make sure stuff like this never happens again. even if they are just selling snake food but how do you feed a snake if you can never touch the bag they came in cause could have salmonella. (little drastic there but some of us got not only ourself to look after and pets but kids as-well) yes i think there should be very strict guide lines set in place to make sure nothing like this happens again no that don't mean shut them down but at least upgrade to comply with standards trade wide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ice#1 View Post
    meaning how could a place that shipped that many contaminated animals live or dead not notice some of the live ones were sick rember not all animals become carriers but get sick and die from it also is what I'm saying. and if you work with an animal day in and day out you get to the point you can tell by way it acts

and I've worked with chickens when i was younger and not all chicken stay healthy they to get sick so like i said my point is how if they had that much contaminated frozen feeders did they not notice it in the live animals some part of the cleanliness process got over looked or side stepped to fill orders at some point maybe employ x went to the bathroom and was back-up at his section forgot to wash hands or something or maybe went to outside break area and put some contaminated chicken on the grill who knows who cares but there has to be some kind of standard set in place so this never happens again not just nuking the mice but quality control as far as if anything sold at least hourly I've been in couple different kraft factories and kal-can factories and seen them do hourly checks on food being sold at all stage of processing and car factories are the same qc once an hour on everything they process

i must say if they are working with the FDA to take steps to make sure this never happens again i take my hat off to them. but i can think of one good rule that would make something like this from ever happening again in other factories they do quality tests hourly once an hour all feeder sales people should do an in house test for salmonella contamination nothing can be shipped till test is all good. and must be kept on file or reported

I've seen pharmaceutical lab mice and how they are kept what use to be up-john in Kalamazoo Michigan had hairless mice they paid 1 million a piece for to use for drug testing totally clean even if got to go in room and breath the same air as them you had to be sterilized and have up-to date shots for everything and thats just to fix a blown plug-in receptacle

that is the only way they will get rid of or make sure stuff like this never happens again. even if they are just selling snake food but how do you feed a snake if you can never touch the bag they came in cause could have salmonella. (little drastic there but some of us got not only ourself to look after and pets but kids as-well) yes i think there should be very strict guide lines set in place to make sure nothing like this happens again no that don't mean shut them down but at least upgrade to comply with standards trade wide.
    For the love of all things holy..Use periods at the end of your sentences. Run on sentences make me head hurt.

Additionally, not all animals will look ill before they drop over dead. I used to raise guinea fowl chicks during the summers. Big batches at a time. Some mornings I'd look in and one of the healthy, spunky chicks from the previous night would be dead. Yesterday, I found a breeder mouse dead. The previous night she had been fine.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey Ice#1, I just read a VERY SHOCKING REPORT right here... <shocking report>

Did you know that all paper money and coins can contains thousands of bacteria that can make you sick including many of the dreaded salmonella serotypes? Just think of all those hands these bills pass through every day, we could have a pandemic on our hands. As a public service to you and anyone else who may be terrified by this horrible threat, I'm offering to take all of those dirty paper bills off your hands. Just send them all to me and I'll dispose of them in a safe and proper fashion. I know it'll be a terrible burden, but I see it as my civic duty to protect all God fearing American citizens from this dreadful threat. (Heck, I'll even do it for you Canadians, because that's just the kind of helpful guy I am)

In the meantime though I suggest you take all of that righteous wrath that you seem to have in such abundance and march on the federal treasury building in Washington DC demanding that they cease circulating these foul diseased ridden notes of theirs. Think of the safety of the children for goodness sakes...
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

bellepunkfille (08-02-2010),Bruce Whitehead (08-01-2010),Stewart_Reptiles (07-29-2010)

Thanks

so what am i to do throw away my rodents I bought at the show? Are they refunding us money?

lance
    NEVER RELEASE FISH OR REPTILES OR ANY ANIMAL INTO THE WILD.

Please read the CARESHEET! to make sure you're doing the best you can for your pet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Hey Ice#1, I just read a VERY SHOCKING REPORT right here... <shocking report>

Did you know that all paper money and coins can contains thousands of bacteria that can make you sick including many of the dreaded salmonella serotypes? Just think of all those hands these bills pass through every day, we could have a pandemic on our hands. As a public service to you and anyone else who may be terrified by this horrible threat, I'm offering to take all of those dirty paper bills off your hands. Just send them all to me and I'll dispose of them in a safe and proper fashion. I know it'll be a terrible burden, but I see it as my civic duty to protect all God fearing American citizens from this dreadful threat. (Heck, I'll even do it for you Canadians, because that's just the kind of helpful guy I am)

In the meantime though I suggest you take all of that righteous wrath that you seem to have in such abundance and march on the federal treasury building in Washington DC demanding that they cease circulating these foul diseased ridden notes of theirs. Think of the safety of the children for goodness sakes...
    Snicker chortle hoot guffaw
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

thats OK MarkS i use plastic not paper so go try to collect elsewhere

man you people are harsh look the other way when somebody goes and poisons over a dozen people in over a dozen states. but jump on the guy who say they need to get stricter rules to operate to make sure they keep people safe. guess everybody can see who could careless about other humans lives kids included. i'm sorry what did your mom or dad drop you on your head as a baby

heck I've seen people get more outraged for getting an over cooked steak then you guys get from possibly being poisoned

if you read there way of dealing with it notice they only agreed to cover cost of left over food not cover med bill of anybody infected that had to go to the ER or miss work

also think about it how is washing your hands going to get rid of it you before you can wash your hands have to turn on the water then wash your hands then turn the water off so unless somebody figured out a hands free in-home water faucet. just washing your hands does no good cause you got to touch what was contaminated to turn the water on to wash your hands thus getting the virus back on your hands

Raptor that is true not all will show signs of being sick but there will be sick ones in the population might only be 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 but still they should check there sick animals there was warning signs before they ever gassed the animals to begin with Evan if only a dozen were sick in a whole plant of thousands of rodents. i to have had females drop dead litery in minutes of checking on them case in point. i just had a female die that was very heavily pregnant put her thing by herself went pee came back and she was dead so yes i know animals drop dead showing no signs but if you are running a business and say day before you had none drop dead then next day you got a dozen or half dozen dead that are close together in racks for respect for your customer wouldn't you go test some of your animals to make sure the rest don't die cause if not your running a very crappy business and just in it for the money. treating your customers right is what makes a good business grow while making a crappy one disappear.

like i said they are doing the right thing by showing they are trying to make sure this never happens again. and there not playing the blame game by trying to pass the buck they manned up and said OK lets fix this and make sure it never happens from us again. now since they did that the government needs to step forward and require all f/t foods be done this way no matter what or shut them down till they comply

MarkS i noticed how they left out info on old reports of money having cocaine and other drugs on money
    Last edited by ice#1; 07-29-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

You really missed all the facts presented, didn't you? There's sooo much wrong with your statements that I'm not going to attempt it, since you obviously aren't interested in anything but ranting and a massive vendetta.

*gives tinfoil for new hat* Have a nice day. I gotta go to work, where I shall attempt to touch all surfaces repeatedly and put my fingers into my mouth.. just to make you cringe.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast