Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

3 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Mice Direct FDA Recall

i wanna know how they got a place that only does feeder food goes and gets it spread to there whole line of frozen prey. did they keep all the animals in the same enclosure? surely not. how did they not notice tons of animals being sickly? hmmm thats the real question to isn't it? did they notice and just not care cause honestly it's not hard to pick a sick animal out of a a group of healthy animals when you work with them daily.(i grew up on a farm with several head of cattle pigs and horses and it's not hard to tell a sick animal from a healthy animal. i understand how they got it spread they clearly had some contaminated chickens and there employees didn't wash there hands properly after handling them.( which when they first started noticing sick animals they should of shut down everything right then and there not wait for FDA to do the recall. as think about it they got names and records of everybody they sold to why not get a hold of all those people and say hey send your stuff back we just found some of our animals got salmonella send yours back. but they chose to sit back and let money roll in till they got caught. i myself will never buy from them again I'd rather let my animals starve before i use a company thats just in it for the almighty dollar and this proves it they sit there counting there money instead of out checking on the health of the animals they sell opps wait they just sell dead animals who cares right

all i got to say is watch out for the price increase now that they are recalling all that was sold for that time i bet they never cleaned what ever they used to kill the prey items like they should of

i myself think it is funny as tons of people demanded cheaper food well you got your cheaper food and a Lil extra for your wanting to save a few pennies lol (yes i can be an ass) honestly i bet all those people who ended up with tainted frozen prey are now rethinking breeding there own.

reminds me of 2 old adages if you want it done right do it yourself. and if you want it cheaper do it yourself.

i think we as a whole the herp community needs to boycott them this is just another reason the government to use to shut down the pet trade in the USA a fancy lawyer could easily blame the pet trade for the demand of dead animals which just so happen to be prone to get salmonella if not treated properly
    Last edited by ice#1; 07-28-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

They actually have nice facilities, there are videos of them on YouTube. I'll pass on the boycott for reasons stated above, it's the users fault.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jfreels For This Useful Post:

KMS (07-29-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Why are you assuming that the rodents appeared sick or even WERE sick? Do you think that chicken on the counter that has salmonella somehow looked sick before it was slaughtered too? Many reptiles carry salmonella and the only way to ever know would be the get them tested in a lab. So is that also "poor practices" or "unhealthy animals"?

The rodents could have been contaminated in many many ways, not all related to ill animals or poor practices.

And for the record, not everyone is ABLE to breed their own rodents, due to space, regulations, housemates' objections, or time. Not everyone bought from MiceDirect for lower prices(they aren't the cheapest place ever).
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

There isn't anything wrong with Mice Direct's Rodents. FDA has been investigating links between handling Rodents and getting Salmonella. There isn't any case against Mice Direct specifically - just general cases linking the handling of rats/mice & getting Salmonella. They chose to start their investigation at the Mice Direct facility.

It is a fact that Mice & Rats carry Salmonella, so it is no surprise that the FDA found Salmonella in Mice Direct's products. The simple truth is that their Rodents are completely safe to use FOR THEIR INTENDED PURPOSE - Feeding your pet Reptiles. And people need to wash their hands after touching them. Most people know this-

Mice Direct has fully cooperated with the FDA and has already begun the process of Irradiating all products before they ship -- Something that no other Rodent dealer is doing. Expect to see Rodent Pro, American Rodent & the others to be held to same standards.

I am friends with the owners of Mice Direct and I proudly distribute their products.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theGuardian For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (07-29-2010),anendeloflorien (07-29-2010),FloridaHogs (07-28-2010),KMS (07-29-2010),tonkatoyman (07-28-2010),wolfy-hound (07-28-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ice#1 View Post
    i wanna know how they got a place that only does feeder food goes and gets it spread to there whole line of frozen prey. did they keep all the animals in the same enclosure? surely not. how did they not notice tons of animals being sickly? hmmm thats the real question to isn't it? did they notice and just not care cause honestly it's not hard to pick a sick animal out of a a group of healthy animals when you work with them daily.(i grew up on a farm with several head of cattle pigs and horses and it's not hard to tell a sick animal from a healthy animal. i understand how they got it spread they clearly had some contaminated chickens and there employees didn't wash there hands properly after handling them.( which when they first started noticing sick animals they should of shut down everything right then and there not wait for FDA to do the recall. as think about it they got names and records of everybody they sold to why not get a hold of all those people and say hey send your stuff back we just found some of our animals got salmonella send yours back. but they chose to sit back and let money roll in till they got caught. i myself will never buy from them again I'd rather let my animals starve before i use a company thats just in it for the almighty dollar and this proves it they sit there counting there money instead of out checking on the health of the animals they sell opps wait they just sell dead animals who cares right

all i got to say is watch out for the price increase now that they are recalling all that was sold for that time i bet they never cleaned what ever they used to kill the prey items like they should of

i myself think it is funny as tons of people demanded cheaper food well you got your cheaper food and a Lil extra for your wanting to save a few pennies lol (yes i can be an ass) honestly i bet all those people who ended up with tainted frozen prey are now rethinking breeding there own.
    You don't come off as an ass as much as you come off as ignorant. The salmonella in question is from HANDLING RAW MEAT, just like with poultry you cook with in your kitchen, NOT from sick animals. At least understand the topic before making crazy statements. And guess what, if FDA gets their way and starts regulating, it will be ALL frozen feeder producers. That would include Laine Laboratories, Rodent Pro, American Rodent Supply, South Florida Rodents, Big Cheese Factory, Bushhill Rodents just to name a few. ALL of them will have to comply because mice and rats DO carry salmonella, so the ONLY way to insure the product is clean is to irradiate it. Right now, Mice Direct is the ONLY company doing this, not because they believe something is wrong with their product, but because the FDA asked them to. They are trying to do everything in their power to aide the FDA (even jumping through silly hoops) in hopes they will decide to NOT regulate this part of the industry.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FloridaHogs For This Useful Post:

anendeloflorien (07-29-2010),wolfy-hound (07-28-2010)

Thanks

Not all rats carry salmonella but they can carry it. It seems as though we like to make blanket statements that are not based in fact. I for one would not want to purchase an animal that was contaminated with salmonella, if you do then go right ahead but it is not a good idea.

The question that needs to be answered is how did this salmonella outbreak cross contaminate the entire product line. This very fact would indicate that proper hygiene practices may not have been followed.

Nobody knows that the FDA is using this as a ploy to shut down, or regulate, all rodent suppliers. This is akin to some silly conspiracy theory like Roswell. The facts are the facts and we do not know all of them. All we know is the entire supply is being recalled for salmonella. People in 17 states MAY have gotten sick because of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izoid View Post
    Not all rats carry salmonella but they can carry it. It seems as though we like to make blanket statements that are not based in fact. I for one would not want to purchase an animal that was contaminated with salmonella, if you do then go right ahead but it is not a good idea.

The question that needs to be answered is how did this salmonella outbreak cross contaminate the entire product line. This very fact would indicate that proper hygiene practices may not have been followed.

Nobody knows that the FDA is using this as a ploy to shut down, or regulate, all rodent suppliers. This is akin to some silly conspiracy theory like Roswell. The facts are the facts and we do not know all of them. All we know is the entire supply is being recalled for salmonella. People in 17 states MAY have gotten sick because of it.
    What part of the facts did you not understand. The 17 cases are not all directly linked to Mice Direct, but TO FROZEN FEEDERS! Let me state it another way...there have been 17 cases linked to frozen feeders, NOT 17 cases linked to Mice Direct, but frozen feeders from several different producers. Mice Direct is the one taking the crap for the whole frozen rodent industry....and BTW why is anybody believing everything the media says....aren't they the ones that tell the public your BP will kill the family pet or EVEN A CHILD!!

We have been aware of the FDA's doings for roughly 2 weeks. They are targeting frozen feeders in general, not the company Mice Direct. So yes I do know what the FDA is up to, we have been in contact with some of the key players. They are debating regulating the entire frozen feeder market just as they do dog food. So yes this will affect the ENTIRE frozen feeder industry.

Remember, we are not talking about live animals with salmonella, but raw meat. They tested RAW MEAT....not the living breeders. And everybody and their mama knows you can get salmonella from handling raw meat...even that for human consumption.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaHogs For This Useful Post:

jkobylka (07-29-2010)

Thanks

Mice direct has great rodents. IMO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaHogs View Post
    What part of the facts did you not understand. The 17 cases are not all directly linked to Mice Direct, but TO FROZEN FEEDERS! Let me state it another way...there have been 17 cases linked to frozen feeders, NOT 17 cases linked to Mice Direct, but frozen feeders from several different producers. Mice Direct is the one taking the crap for the whole frozen rodent industry....and BTW why is anybody believing everything the media says....aren't they the ones that tell the public your BP will kill the family pet or EVEN A CHILD!!

We have been aware of the FDA's doings for roughly 2 weeks. They are targeting frozen feeders in general, not the company Mice Direct. So yes I do know what the FDA is up to, we have been in contact with some of the key players. They are debating regulating the entire frozen feeder market just as they do dog food. So yes this will affect the ENTIRE frozen feeder industry.

Remember, we are not talking about live animals with salmonella, but raw meat. They tested RAW MEAT....not the living breeders. And everybody and their mama knows you can get salmonella from handling raw meat...even that for human consumption.
    I think you need to calm down a bit and stop being so aggressive in the way you dialog with others. For some reason you seem to enjoy belittling those who have different opinions than you.

The recall was initiated by the FDA AFTER samples contained salmonella. These samples were traced to lots that were sent to 17 states where people got sick. Nowhere in the recall data does it indicate that the illness was possibly caused by anyone other than Mice Direct. I do not know where you got your info from but I would appreciate it if you could direct us there.

The fact that it was dead rats that were infected and not live breeders is a smokescreen, it means nothing. I feed my boas frozen and not live so all I care about is the frozen feeders that I get from them....the ones with salmonella.

If companies are shipping feeders that are contaminated with salmonella maybe they need to be regulated. If they can't police themselves then maybe someone else should. Just a thought.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

How would one go about doing irradiate. I sell many mice here locally live and frozen. And do plan on selling Frozen ASF as well and would like to take the extra step if it helps.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

izoid (07-28-2010)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast