Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

3 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Do you think she's building?

I think Nerissa is building follicles right now, but not 100% sure, as it's been a weird year for her. Back story: I started pairing her (with my pastel mostly) way back in December, and continued for a few months... then in early April she had a VERY obvious glow, but never ovulated after that. I stopped pairing her from probably April-June, due to concern over a 9-month fast with significant weight loss. She started eating again in June, so I put Toby with her once about 3 weeks ago, and observed a nearly 48-hour copulation. He's such a stud, LOL.

So now it's late July, Mona's clutch is already cooking in the incubator, and I think Nerissa finally decided to join the party. When I checked on her yesterday, she was laying slightly inverted and coiled over the hot spot... today she's less inverted but extremely lumpy. If she is building, approx when should I expect an ovulation - and will she glow again, even though she did that already? Below are some photos, and I'd really appreciate your opinions!

P.S. Her last shed was on 6/12, and she copulated with Toby on July 4th... Independence Day babies, perhaps?

Here's the glow from early April... she almost looked like an Axanthic!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Re: Do you think she's building?

Possibly, but it's much easier to tell when she's stretched out.

Isn't it wonderful when they do things ALL on their own terms
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

If she was glowing back in April and she hasn't layed eggs yet, you might want to consider the fact that she reabsorbed those follicles. Have you palpated her yet to see if she has follicles or eggs? If you do palpate be very gentle due to the fact that she could have eggs and you don't want to hurt her or them. Post a pick of you holding her up with the lower half hanging down and maybe I can help a bit.
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    If she was glowing back in April and she hasn't layed eggs yet, you might want to consider the fact that she reabsorbed those follicles.
    This scenario played out with 2 of our normals this year, glow then no go
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Isn't it wonderful when they do things ALL on their own terms
    It's the Ball Python way! LOL

Here are two picture of her stretched out... not sure I see any "paunch," so maybe I was just imagining things earlier. I also tried palpating her, but I really have no idea what I'm doing - so I can't tell if I feel anything or not! It's fine if she doesn't go this year, since I was more concerned about getting her to eat. So if she's not gravid now, I won't be pairing her again until next year.

Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    I also tried palpating her, but I really have no idea what I'm doing
    Here's how I palpate, maybe it will be easier for you.

I find a table leg, I use my heavy coffee table, and let the snake on the floor to relax for a few moments and then guide the snake so it's neck grabs the coffee table leg and it pulls itself away from you.
    When it does grab it with your middle two fingers of each hand pushing up on the belly let it slide through your fingers while you gently squeeze the belly pushing upwards with those middle fingers.
    I use my thumbs to hold the top of the snake down so it glides through my hands.
    I found this pretty easy to feel the belly and you may not feel small follicles but you can certainly feel the "string of beads" in there, if they are there, once they are about marble size.
    It still takes some practice but now I have no problems feeling those lumps in the belly.
    Jerry Robertson

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

jsschrei (07-29-2010),Lolo76 (07-29-2010),mojavereptiles (07-29-2010)