Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,172

0 members and 3,172 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Webstaurant tubs

Quote Originally Posted by JD'S Exotics View Post
    Well I got my tubs in and built my rack. I will have to get some pictures later. I built the rack to hold 20 bins but only bought 12 because thats how many I needed t oget the dicounted price and wasn't really sure if they would be what I wanted. I opened the box and was amazed to see that they must have changed the mold as the ridges in the bottom are just small halfmoons that I don't think anything (including my little chewing maniac ASF's) can get their teeth on. They did take some small modifications on the sides as there is reinforcement tabs all along the side that need trimming. But all in all for the price not bad I guess. I think they are a little on the small side though and probably will only house 1.2 maybe 1.3 but I figure it will work good for the mothering tubs. Thansk for everyone's input.

Josh
    Yea those half moons are what I was talking about when I posted that pic. Did you snap all those tabs off like I did?

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I have rats, I have mice, and I have ASFs. In 3 years, I have only had one incident of minor tub chewing by a rat. I fed the rat off. The end.

I use the Freedom Breeder racks with 2 different types of tubs they make. The larger clear ones are sort of flimsy--they still don't get chewed.

It's not that they can't get their teeth on the upper rim--they can. They just don't.
    I can't explain it. lol
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

JD'S Exotics (08-01-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

you guys need to breed more rats I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
    you guys need to breed more rats I guess.
    Sorry I am not up to your higher ranks of breeding rats yet. I thank all those whom have had some insightful responses and I hope that I don't breed to many rats to have them chew out of my cheap tubs. I have 20 breeding females now and think I should be good for awhile. Do you guys who are still at my level use a 2x2 in between the racks for supporting the screen underneath? I am still wondering what the crossbar is that I always see in the pictures of the racks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JD'S Exotics For This Useful Post:

ericzerka24 (08-02-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sorry I am not up to your higher ranks of breeding rats yet. I thank all those whom have had some insightful responses and I hope that I don't breed to many rats to have them chew out of my cheap tubs. I have 20 breeding females now and think I should be good for awhile. Do you guys who are still at my level use a 2x2 in between the racks for supporting the screen underneath? I am still wondering what the crossbar is that I always see in the pictures of the racks.

the more you have, the less time you have to deal with "little things" like tubs that can work. You start looking for efficient ways to breed better animals at lower prices and setups that require less time. Your small 1.2 tub rack can support as many females as 1/3 of my much larger rack. And yes I understand if you don't need that many, but the advice given is always to my best intent to allow you the information to make your setup work best and not just "work".

If you want to waste time and energy on setups not recommended, that is completely cool. We all experience trial and error sometimes to learn. But don't get an attitude because somebody has "been there, done that" and is trying to save you headaches.

Thanks

I used 2x2 for everything except the runners. I used 1x2 for them.

I have it kept in my closet so I have rope lights that are on a timer that way they have a day/nite cycle. This is a pic when I was testing out different hopper setups and as you can see on the second rack from the top, I boxed in a little area. I ended up putting those on every level and this rack works great for me. Good Luck!

Thanks

the more you have, the less time you have to deal with "little things" like tubs that can work. You start looking for efficient ways to breed better animals at lower prices and setups that require less time. Your small 1.2 tub rack can support as many females as 1/3 of my much larger rack. And yes I understand if you don't need that many, but the advice given is always to my best intent to allow you the information to make your setup work best and not just "work".

If you want to waste time and energy on setups not recommended, that is completely cool. We all experience trial and error sometimes to learn. But don't get an attitude because somebody has "been there, done that" and is trying to save you headaches.
    Your comments are a little condescending and make it a little hard to take in what you are trying to get across.

Eric, The 2x2 bar that runs inside the tub area, uh I guess, on the top of the screen. Is that for supporting the screen or just seperating your food area? I guess I still don't understand what creating that little square area up front is for.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Your comments are a little condescending and make it a little hard to take in what you are trying to get across.

Eric, The 2x2 bar that runs inside the tub area, uh I guess, on the top of the screen. Is that for supporting the screen or just seperating your food area? I guess I still don't understand what creating that little square area up front is for.

the center supports are to keep the wire from sagging over time

some people section off "food areas" so they can stack food and simulate a "hopper" situation. If food is scattered then you lose air flow (which is the big benefit of a rack system). Plus if food is scattered it can go to a back corner out of reach and begin to mold.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to suzuki4life For This Useful Post:

JD'S Exotics (08-02-2010)

Thanks

Wll this is where trial and error came in. I originally did it for the food but when you have that much food across the top, the little B*sterds chew it all up into powder and a lot gets wasted. I came up with those little square where every 3 days or so, I will throw a scoop of feed in.

If I were you, I would put the support bar in still but more in the middle. This way your screen stays nice and tight with no sag.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ericzerka24 For This Useful Post:

JD'S Exotics (08-02-2010)

Thanks

the center supports are to keep the wire from sagging over time
    Haha beat me to the submit button

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234