Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

0 members and 3,209 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tail bent?

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Tail bent?

I was looking at one of hatchlings that was still in the egg, and I noticed the very tip of his tail is bent? Has anyone ever seen it? He put it back down in the egg so you can't see it now so I can't take pics. As soon as he's out I will post some pics, but is this just something stupid that will heal? I've seen kinks and all kinds of wacky stuff, but this was kind of weird. Really hoping it isn't genetic either.

Thanks

Re: Tail bent?

Quote Originally Posted by Animals As Leaders View Post
    I was looking at one of hatchlings that was still in the egg, and I noticed the very tip of his tail is bent? Has anyone ever seen it? He put it back down in the egg so you can't see it now so I can't take pics. As soon as he's out I will post some pics, but is this just something stupid that will heal? I've seen kinks and all kinds of wacky stuff, but this was kind of weird. Really hoping it isn't genetic either.
    The very tip of the tail is a pretty common place for kinks. That's why you see a lot off nubby tailed caramels. Some breeders clip it off.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

How would you go about clipping it off?

I know this sounds horrible but I am wondering how the animal will shed and develop. Is there bone at the tip? Its such a hard bend I can't imagine it being more then skin. Could this just have happened from the incubation? This was my first clutch and I think they might have got too wet, so I am wondering if that was the issue. I lost two in this clutch as well. One was a deform dead in the egg, and the other was just a tiny little guy with umbilical issues. Starting to think this is just going to be a problem clutch. But two of the four look fine so far. Still in the egg, but I saw the tails and they were fine. Hopefully no kinks in the back...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

There is bone all the way to the tip of the tail.

Is it possible to get a picture of it?

I don't know how I feel about the idea of clipping the end of the tail off if I'm honest.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

The last snake shipped to me arrived with a kinked/bent tail. It sucks but I wouldn't dare clip it. In my case, the kink is right where the tail meets the body, over the vent. I can't even pop him for fear of hurting him. So far, it doesn't seem to be interfering with his basic bodily functions and I think cutting anything off of an otherwise healthy animal is just barbaric. I have no doubt it would be painful and I can't think of any real purpose for it. I'd rather have my kinked baby than a maimed one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animals As Leaders View Post
    How would you go about clipping it off?

I know this sounds horrible but I am wondering how the animal will shed and develop. Is there bone at the tip? Its such a hard bend I can't imagine it being more then skin. Could this just have happened from the incubation? This was my first clutch and I think they might have got too wet, so I am wondering if that was the issue. I lost two in this clutch as well. One was a deform dead in the egg, and the other was just a tiny little guy with umbilical issues. Starting to think this is just going to be a problem clutch. But two of the four look fine so far. Still in the egg, but I saw the tails and they were fine. Hopefully no kinks in the back...
    You shouldn't clip it IMO. The only reason people do it is so they can try to sell the snakes as being kink free. It does not do anything to help the snake.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

I'm no expert but I don't think I'd clip it except... if it prevents him from passing fecal matter out or something like that.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

AHHHH ok....I thought maybe it wasn't as nasty of a process. Guess I was wrong. Such a weird spot to be kinked.

I thought it was going to make an issue for the baby. Whether it be shedding, or something else. Will they be able to breed j.w?

Thanks

I also have a kinked hatchling this year but its a little more than the tip of the tail. I personally wouldn't breed it but I'm also not sure if the kinks are genetic or happen during incubation so I take that into consideration.
    --Josh
    www.HaydenImaging.com
    Balls, Corns, Rosies, Milks, Geckos...

Thanks

I don't think its genetic...I don't know if they would be able to lock though because he can't wrap up with the female right. I got four babies in this clutch and a normal, and a pastel have the same problem. Same spot too. Thats the only thing that I thought was peculiar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast