Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

0 members and 3,270 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Incubator

Thanks

Best Incubator

Whats the best incubator for your money? Not a real small one and not a huge one.Maybe one holds up to at least 5 clutches.My first clutch a couple of weeks ago was 8 and my little refridgerator type incubator is already full and I got another clutch on the way. Instead of getting another small one I would like to get a good medium size incubator. Any suggestions of some good ones?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Re: Best Incubator

Hands down the best investment we've made.

$400 total investment that includes$108 herpstat to control it.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ght=coke+smile
    Jerry Robertson

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Baller View Post
    Whats the best incubator for your money? Not a real small one and not a huge one.Maybe one holds up to at least 5 clutches.My first clutch a couple of weeks ago was 8 and my little refridgerator type incubator is already full and I got another clutch on the way. Instead of getting another small one I would like to get a good medium size incubator. Any suggestions of some good ones?
    The best incubator is my Red Bull incubator!
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...d.php?t=119785

For real the best thing to do is look for a old mini-fridge/fridge on craigslist or something. Then tear out the cooling stuff, wire in some flexwatt, hook up a thermostat and you are good to go.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

So far I love my Nature's Spirit Incubator. I have 3 clutches in there now and room for at least 2-3 more depending on the size tubs you are using. Here's the link:

http://www.nsreptiles.com/incubator.html

I have it on a Helix Controls.
    Cheers,
    Jessica Gibbs

www.supercoilconstrictors.com
    Balls, Corns, Bci, Bcl, Bco & Morelia

Thanks

got an old coke machine for 100 bucks and a trip to PA. I took a esu tstat and some 4 inch flex right now it holds 4 but I got the shelves spaced wrong ( plusd never gutting it so I cna get a shot of coolant and use it ot keep drinks cold out of egg season.) but once i res et the shelves I betting about 6 or so clutchs of egg and the tub each can hold 11 + eggs easy.

So I could easy get 60 eggs in here ( with more brackets and wire shelves possible more lol)

so say 130 buck i got a nice one that less that 5 ft tall. will see if i got pics of it still online.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

A free large polybox from my LFS. a stat. 2 mats, one on the top, one on the bottom. a small fan for circulation. 2 small bottles filled with water to hold the heat. Holds 2 boxes. Has 8 eggs in one box cooking as I type. Rock steady temps.

I siliconed strips of wood in to make runners to add 2 more strips of wood for each tub to rest on.

Thanks

I'm still looking. Before I find a good quality hobby size incubator though I will probably be stepping up to a closet incubator.

We tried the GQF reptile version. This one will hold nine 6 qt sterilite tubs which translates into 9 ball python clutches for us. You have to call them directly and tell them you are looking for the reptile version. It does the job, but is noisy. Also with the high humidity inside water collects on the bottom and when you open the door water will come running out. (caution do not put this on a hard wood floor as it will destroy the floor under it. ) The tray system is inconvienent for checking on eggs. The window option on this incubator is useless as it fogs up with humidity.

We added a natures spirit incubator this year and it works, but the board it is made of is pretty thin (1/4") and the crooked door does not seal on the front. I actually have condensation on the side of any egg box that is next to an exterior wall. Now I have the outer edges wrapped in foam to help insulate it and that helps. I guess, I was just expecting a little more for the price than a piece of plexy glass, some thin PVC board, a computer fan, 2hinges, 2 latches, and an LED.

Just my opinion so far!

BPnet Veteran TheReptileEnthusiast's Avatar
    Thanks

Simple fact is, a fridge is a very well insulated and durable peice of equipment that originally had a hefty price tag on it due to the manufacturing cost. And you can get them for free on craigslist. No incubator that cost a couple hundred dollars can be as well built, durable, and well insulated as a fridge. It just can't be done cost effectively. I used a free full sized fridge since I have a manroom/office and space is not an issue. It holds heat so well that the T-stat barely turns the flexwatt on, meaning less money out of pocket for electricity as well. You can even set up the freezer section for one species, and the fridge for another. I currently just use the freezer for storage of extra tubs, etc.

Thanks

Thanks alot to those who responded.

Thanks

I went with a big cooler. There are several threads on making them. Basically get a big cooler, line it with flexwatt, put some water bottles along the bottom to help stabilize temps, put down some egg crate, and you're set to go. I spent ~$50 on the cooler, flexwatt, water bottles, and egg crate. I run mine off a Herpstat Pro, but figure another $100 for a t-stat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast