Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,246

1 members and 3,245 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Breeding Loan This Upcoming Season

If my friend's spider female gets up to weight for this season, she is going to house her female with me so my pastel male can breed with her. I already have a breeding contract written up (I took it from someone on here. They posted it a while back. Heather Wong, I think? Great contract! Thanks for posting it!)

If I am going to be housing, feeding (as far as I know, I'm responsible for paying for her food), providing a pastel male, and incubating the eggs, what should I get out of the clutch. We will probably split the clutch if it has an even number of babies, but who should get what morph. Lets say in the first scenario, only one bumblebee pops out. In the second scenario, two bumblebees pop out, one male and one female. Who should get what? I know when it all comes down to it, it is to be decided between her and I, but I just want to know what some of you would do.

(on a side note, I just weighed my pinstripe. With a very small meal in her belly (50-60g rat several days ago) she's up to 1225g. Almost!)
    Last edited by Jay_Bunny; 07-27-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Under Construction.....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

LadyOhh (07-27-2010)

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Breeding Loan This Upcoming Season

Well, in your scenario, she has the more valuable animal, so she should make the call.

However, you are doing the work.

I would say that you should get first pick, she gets second, and so on until the clutch is all claimed.

That's what I would do, but it really depends on how you and her work it out.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

Jay_Bunny (07-27-2010)

Thanks

I would actually say the opposite. I think she should definitely get the first pick. Her snake is worth way more money. You are doing the breeding and caring for them, but her snake is worth probably 5 times what yours is (no offense). If I were in your situation I would probably want the second and 4th pick with her getting picks 1,3, and anything else. Personally I would not feel right taking more than two snakes from the clutch due to her snake being the more one that is worth so much more. JMO.

Also, it might be a better idea for you to take your male to her snake. Females that have been moved will often times not produce a clutch that year. Not always, but many times they take time to adjust. If you have to be the one with the female I would move her as soon as possible to try to give her more to to settle in to the new surroundings. I moved a few of my most reliable females to a new rack a few months before breeding season this year and only 1 out of the 4 laid for me. I moved them from a 32qt rack to a cb 70 rack about 3 feet away. These were all girls that I could always count on getting a good clutch out of.
    Last edited by J.Vandegrift; 07-27-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

Okay I just thought of this.. I have never been apart of a breeder loan but if I were to be in your position I would do something like this. Breed the animals, and if/when she lays eggs you two will grab a marker and mark your eggs. You alternate until all the eggs are marked. Separate each group of eggs and whatever hatches, hatches. Luck of the draw. Seems fair to me? Maybe not the most professional.. But still..
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

Thanks

I agree that she has the more valuable animal and should get first pick, then alternate down. You can pick up a proven male pastel for less than $200, a breedable female spider is probably at least $1000 if not more IMO. So it would be quite easy for her to do this project w/o your male as your male isn't contributing anything particularly special or rare.

Personally, I'd probably only do a breeding loan if I knew ahead of time what all of the babies would be (e.g. pied x super pastel = all pastels 100% pied). This way you don't have to worry about what will hatch and don't have to worry about fighting over the clutch or anything.

(Note, I mean this as he's not special in that breedable male pastels are easy to come by, not that he's not a special snake to you or worthless or anything of the sort. Hope you don't take offense by my comment)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarin View Post
    Okay I just thought of this.. I have never been apart of a breeder loan but if I were to be in your position I would do something like this. Breed the animals, and if/when she lays eggs you two will grab a marker and mark your eggs. You alternate until all the eggs are marked. Separate each group of eggs and whatever hatches, hatches. Luck of the draw. Seems fair to me? Maybe not the most professional.. But still..
    What if there are 8 eggs, and they hatch 2 bees, 2 pastels, 2 spiders, and 2 normals and what if one person picked both bees, and a spider and pastel?

Then the other person is stuck with a pastel, spider, and 2 normals. Hardly seems fair to me. While an interesting idea, its just ripe to create bad vibes if something like what I presented happened.

Better to work out ALL possibilities before hand so that regardless of what happens BOTH parties are covered.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Apple Herps View Post
    You can pick up a proven male pastel for less than $200, a breedable female spider is probably at least $1000 if not more IMO.
    That's about right. Last summer I was interested in a breeding age female spider. The owner wanted $ 1000.00 for her. I ended up paying $ 600.00. Took a few weeks though. That's because I kept going back and saying "I see your Spider is still there."

Thanks

I cannot take the male to her as she has no incubator and I need my pastel for another female (pinstripe). I know my pastel is not worth much money-wise, but she isn't interested in pastels so she doesn't want to buy one. She only wants a bee so she can at some point produce axanthic killer bees (her favorite morph).

I just talked to her today. She's going to weigh her spider as she has not been weighed in a month or two. She should be getting up there. My pinstripe was around the same weight the last time she weighed her spider and my pin is around 1170 empty.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

If she wants a Bee that badly and she is providing the female...I think I would give her first choice. If you are indeed friends...you should be able to work this out easy enough. Good luck!
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow