Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

3 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: eye problem

Thanks

eye problem

So my young BP shed about 2 weeks ago but the shed was in his tree and all screwed up so i couldn't check the eye caps. He has since eaten twice and seems perfectly happy; however, tonight i notice his eyes look really odd. They have a kind of silvery sheen to them in certain places. It seems possibly it's skin that didn't shed but i have no experience with that. His humidity was around 50% but i have bumped it up to 65%. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: eye problem

keep humidity up until next shed if you can't chek the old one for eye caps, you hater to remove the wrong layer. you will be begging the snake for forgiveness if you do
    I have used tape when I know ther ewas an eye cap left but it took me an hour aof patience ( scotch tape is weak ) and 3 bites for my effort most the time was just getting the snake to calm down. actually removal was like 2 minutes of gentle slow rocking. Don't try it unless you know the eye cap ther and have a vet on possible standby incase you screw up. eye care is not cheap for a vet.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

Hey stormshadow. The silvery sheen is throwing me off. Now that i think of it mayber they are opaque or blue which sounds like retained caps. If your havent thrown away the shed search it for eyecaps you cant miss them. If the eyes seem dimpled you would treat them the same way. soak your snake in tepid 80degree water at waist height supervised for 20min to an hour and see if the silvery goes away. If it does you may or may not have retained brilles. If you can visually tell that you do I have many suggestions for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

If you suspect the eye caps stay on the snake then its as easy as a soak in a closed sterilite tub with 1 1/2 to 2 inches of 85 degree water with a hand towel in there for the snake to rub against.
    Let the snake sit in the humid bath for 30 minutes and drain water and replace water for 30 more minutes of soak time.
    The eye cap should come off on it's own, if not try a damp towel and run it from head towards the tail and see if it comes off then.
    If not leave it alone and bump your humidity next shed.
    What do you measure your humidity with, 50%+ humidity or more shouldn't cause a stuck cap?
    Jerry Robertson