Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

3 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Considering a breeding loan?

I am considering doing a breeding loan with someone that is only about two hours away from where I live. No need to ship snakes back and fourth. He has three normal females ready to breed and he wants to breed my male lesser to all three.

Now I know there is A LOT to consider when thinking about doing a breeding loan, and I've looked at some past threads here from bad/good experiences.

Does anyone have a really well written contract that has worked well in the past?

Also what is a good way to split the clutches? I was kind of thinking 50/50, I get first pick because my male is the morph snake, BUT the value of his breeding size females could equal the value of my breeding lesser?

I guess I just want to know how you all would go about doing this, I KNOW many of you will tell me it's a bad idea, and if you do tell me why. I also know many people have greatly benefited from doing this sort of thing.

I want opinions on a contract that has worked in the past and how to split the clutch. All opinions welcome, this is not a for sure thing until I really consider all angles good and bad. Thanks!
    1.3 lovely normals 1.1 Piebald 0.1 red tail boa (Pandora) 1.0 sinaloan milk snake and one nasty corn snake! 2.3.1 Cresties 0.0.1 chahoua 0.0.1 leachianus
    1.1 Ferrets (Snoball & Panda)

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Considering a breeding loan?

This is the one I made and used..

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...5&postcount=12
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyOhh For This Useful Post:

Carlene16 (07-26-2010)

Thanks

Why not split the clutch after the eggs are born? HAHA do the pick by pick on the eggs and see who gets lucky? makes egg cutting a very exciting event for both of you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImBooBy View Post
    Why not split the clutch after the eggs are born? HAHA do the pick by pick on the eggs and see who gets lucky? makes egg cutting a very exciting event for both of you
    Hahah I meant to say split the eggs up after they are born! I would hate to divide before they pip and get a bunch of normals and he get all the lessers!
    I think splitting the clutch would be very even since my lesser is worth close to the amount his three normal females are. I am asking him to split the clutch even with me having first pick. Does that sound reasonable? Tell me if it isn't! I want some input everyone! Thanks
    1.3 lovely normals 1.1 Piebald 0.1 red tail boa (Pandora) 1.0 sinaloan milk snake and one nasty corn snake! 2.3.1 Cresties 0.0.1 chahoua 0.0.1 leachianus

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

If I had 3 females and a friend offered a fairly common single gene morph like a lesser(not knocking lessers here, lol) and I had to breed the group and keep him healthy and incubate the eggs and do all the work I'd want first pick on the first and third female.
    Doing the breeding and incubating is a lot of work, lesser male breeders are probably fairly close in value to 3 average 1500-1800 gram normals so in my mind the person with the 3 females should get 2 of the 3 first picks for doing the most work.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

I hadn't considered that That's definitely true! I will consider doing that, I just really want a lesser female out of this deal, which might complicate things. Thank you for making me rethink this. Since he would be doing LOTS of work with three females and incubating I think it'd be fair to have him get first pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

With 3 females you should both get what your wanting, and probably even a few extras

Good luck on your breeding ventures, breeding loans can be fun if you have the right partner, I happen to be lucky enough to have two very kewl people I do loans with, just make sure to get it in writing if you believe there could be any issues.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

That's what I was thinking, three large normal females... could be anywhere from 14-24 ish eggs since they are large females, and with 50% normal 50% lesser there should be a couple females in there. Just hoping I could make this work with him because I do not know enough about breeding to breed this next year so maybe I could learn from him. He is also close enough that I could drive to his house and check up on my male lesser and the eggs.. and OH I would LOVE to be there when the eggs are cut