Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

1 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Green Anole (Possibly) and several questions

Me and my wife are wondering about this injury? Or we assume it is such, I personally think he developed the under bite by tapping on the glass.

Our second question is sex? As I understand it, these two enlarged scales indicate a male. We were told male by the man we bought it from, but he also told us to use sand and our dear Daemon hated it and loves the dirt we now use.

Species? The pictures of Green Anoles I have seen haven't had the brown markings around the eyes and nose area. Are we just in the posession of a tattooed Green Anole? (Haha) Or is it not a Green Anole, and an Anole of different species. We were told by the guy we bought it from he was to turn blue. I understand its possible, but they need the lack of the yellow layer and as I see it he does not lack it- unless he is to lose it?

Thanks

Re: Green Anole (Possibly) and several questions

Yes that is a very skinny green anole

See if the damage with his face prevents him from eating, if it does, he will have to be put down.

There is no real way to tell if an anole is a female or a male just by looking at its physical characteristics. Both can have pores, dewlaps, etc..

Thanks

Yes, he is a might bit skinny. Me and my wife were away, leaving him in the care of a relative. These are, unfortunately, the results. We came home with crickets and immediately took to feeding and handling him. He took down a cricket or two it looked like, and while we were holding him we noticed the underbite. He did not spaz when we tried to see if it was just mud on his upper lip. So, I assume it isn't affecting him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

He looks pretty sickly and thin. It looks like he may have MBD due to lack of calcium--that can cause issues with the jaw, and a kinked//bent tail like he appears to have. What is he eating and are you providing good UVB/UVA lighting for him?

When a lizard starts to get emaciated or dehydrated the bones in the head protrude more than normal and can look like those brown markings (raised areas that would normally have more meat on and around then so they don't stick out so much).

I would get the anole to a vet for a checkup, fecal, and diagnosis on the mouth issue. You may need to provide some better vitamin and calcuim supplements in order to better meet the nutritonal needs of the lizard.
    - Emily

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Teclis (07-29-2010)

Thanks

We originally tried mealworms from PETCO, bad idea. So we stuck to the other recommendation we got at baby food. He eats it decently, and today we were able to get gutloaded dead crickets and live crickets. We put those in the tank today, zoomed's repticricket.

We water his tank twice a day, or more when a "have we watered Daemon today?" moment happens when I think of it and my wife has done it or vise versa.

We pull the curtain open and let natural sun light in during the day, but we aren't always doing that. The rough information we got, and now looking back maybe the breeder knew some of what he was talking about and not, told us some sunlight would be good but not too much. As I now understand with the extensive research we've done is that it is more necessary than he let on. We're going to go with the new food, and definitely more sunlight.

If there is anything else you can offer, I am all ears- or as much as possible- and I really would like to keep Daemon alive. Not just to not fall under the "bad anole owner" category a long with pet shops, but its a sentimental joint pet with my wife. We got him the day we got engaged.
    Last edited by Teclis; 07-25-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks

Sunlight won't really do it, these bask almost all day under the sun's natural rays and you must try and replicate that with a UVB/UVA bulb. Do you have a regular basking lamp for heat?

Baby food does not have the things they require.

Feed crickets and dust them in a calcium supplement powder.

Thanks

Almost all day? Im afraid that I have been failing as an Anole owner.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Yeah, if you go to florida or places like that, the green anoles are just everywhere basking in the sun. The rule for reptiles like green anoles, beardies, etc..is 12 hours of day time, 12 hours of night time. The difference is, anole's are like 7 bucks..and they need pretty expensive set ups. There are a couple different types of UVB/UVA bulbs, coil bulbs(no heat just light) the long tube like kind(no heat just light) Or mercury vapor bulbs(heat and light) but are really pricy.

I use the long tube kind for my anole and Beardie. My anole is almost 8 years old, how old is your approx.?

Something like this bulb:
    http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...n-50-uvb-bulb/

And this fixture:
    http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...-hood-fixture/

Then you would need something like a 75-100 watt regular basking bulb in a separate fixture.

All the light and heat would go off after 12 hours of being on. They don't need heat at night unless your house gets really cold.
    Last edited by AkHerps; 07-25-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks

I thankfully have a hood, and the bulb is no problem.

Would zoo med repti-crickets do good as a standard? I'll watch him a bit too see how that goes.
    Last edited by Teclis; 07-25-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks

Are those the dead ones? I don't know about them, I would rather just feed a couple crickets every day or so. Most reptiles will not eat already dead things.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast