Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,157

3 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Getting in to Breeding Need Help and Advice

So after months and months of research I have finally decided its time to take my passion a step further and get into breeding. I feel as though I have a pretty good grasp for the path I need to take and the things that need to be done. As of right now I have 0.1 '07 Normal and a 1.0 '10 Pinstripe. Clearly the pinstripe is out of the plans for this year but will definately be used in the future. I know I have a ways to go but fully plan to spend the money and time to make this happen! Here it goes:

I am going to build my own rack.
    I plan on getting plenty of heat tape and a thermostat. (Whats good?)
    Later I will purchase an incubator, most likely a cheaper model under $100. (Also whats prefered?)
    I plan on getting 0.2 Normal Proven Breeders (already lined-up).
    Finally I plan on purchasing 1.0 Pastel that is either proven or can be bred this coming season.

Now although I have the money, I do not want to spend more than I absolutely have to. I am splitting it with my friend who is going to go in on it and we don't want to spend more than hopefully $400 on all that was stated. Please let me know what you think and any advice you may want to share, all input is greatly appreciated so please help out! Thanks so much!

Thanks

Re: Getting in to Breeding Need Help and Advice

I think you would be hard pressed to get all of that under $400, but it could possibly be done.

As far as racks, I built some out of melamine, which weren't too hard to do.

I built an incubator with a styrofoam cooler, some heat tape and some water bottles and it perfectly fit 1 clutch. I used a herpstat on it.

Also, there is a chance on the Pin being able to breed later this year. Young/small males will breed sometimes. I would jus make sure that you're really careful about watching him and making sure he doesn't get too thin.
    Last edited by dreese88; 07-22-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Dylan -- Reese Reptiles

Thanks

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape

Watch the video he shows you how it works.

As for Incubators you can make one or buy a small one for $50 bucks.

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/...and-deli-cups/

I personally have never used this product nor have I used the Flex Watt Heat Tape but everyone says it works. I have seen videos on this Incubator people say it works great.

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if I was you, I would do this:

Rack: Honestly this could wait probably...But if you want to just get it all done then by all means do it. I am building a new rack tonight that will accomadate 4 34qt tubs, and 20 hatchling tubs (6 quart). This sounds perfect for you so I will post pics. But it costs me 36.52 a sheet of melamine x3. About 120 bucks or so plus labor.

Thermostat: Helix! or Ranco, but proportional is best. Helix with run you a lil over 150, where the Ranco will be about 100.

Incubator: Gp buy a chicken egg incubator. 50 bucks at tractor supply store! Worked great for me!

Pastel proven male: 150-300
    .2 normals- 100-400

Prices vary a lot with different breeders so you'll have to shop around. I would say 400 is not enough. Try to come up 5 or so.

Thanks

Well I have a steel rack that is not ment by any means for snakes, but will work just fine for now. I planned on getting one of the more cheaper thermostats I could find, was looking at Zoo Med or Zilla, and possibly going up to something a little nicer. Incubator I figured I would do exactly that and get something from tractor supply because I heard with a little modification they work great. As for as getting the snakes, I have a deal going right now for .2 proven normals at $120 for pickup. Too good to pass up imo. Also I have seen alot of male pastels ready to go or proven for near $100. Thanks very much for all the help so far and I do realize that $400 isn't too much to work with but I won't be to reluctant to go over if it is necessary.

Btw can't wait to see those pics, sounds perfect for me like you said. Thanks again and keep em coming everyone.
    1.0 Pastel '10
    1.0 Pinstripe '10
    1.0 Cinnamon '10
    0.1 Fire '10
    0.1 Albino '10
    0.1 Mojave '10
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa '09
    1.0 Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Definitely get a nicer thermostat for the incubator. Most people barely trust those for their adults. Herpstat is just over $100, and is proportional.

Like he said, a rack can wait. You could just use a bookshelf or something with flexwatt running along the shelves. They don't have to fit perfectly, like all the nice setups you see. Just get little tubs and keep the lids on.

Since you're going in with a friend, I would be very sure you know how you're going to split the offsprings/profits (lol, profit, in this business!). I've seen a thread on this before, and there were many many ways it could go bad. It's best to get it in writing before anything is actually done.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks

I would say that $400 for the snakes, yes, you can easily do. As for the racks and incubator, no way. IMO, you HAVE to have a good thermostat. The Zoo Med ones are not that great and it would really suck to lose your snakes because of a bad thermostat. I was thinking something similar to you when I built my rack and incubator, but quickly realized the reality.......
    Rack:
    -Melamine $120
    -Heat tape, aluminum tape and clips $60
    -Wires, pvc (water bowl holders), water bowls $50
    -three Accurite thermomters/hydrometers $25
    -Helix thermostat $150
    -Sterilite Tubs at Walmart $100
    TOTAL: about $450

Incubator:
    -Red Bull fridge off Craigslist $35
    -heat tape and clips $10
    -tubs $10
    -perlite/vermiulite $10
    -egg crate $12
    -fan $10
    -therm/hydrom $8
    -Helix $150
    TOTAL: about $250

I went as "cheap" as I could and still ended up spending around $700 (and that's not including the hatchling rack). You also have to consider things you may or may not have like scales, chlorohexadine, spray bottles, paper towels, substrate, etc.

One good thing is I had a lot of extra melamine so my hatchling rack is covered, all I have to buy is the heat tape, tubs, and Helix......still another $200! Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys! I am seeing things will be slightly more difficult than I imagined but I am still more than willing to do it. Another question... Could I use one thermostat for the tubs and the incubator? or Could I buy a cheaper one for the tubs and a nicer one for the incubator?
    1.0 Pastel '10
    1.0 Pinstripe '10
    1.0 Cinnamon '10
    0.1 Fire '10
    0.1 Albino '10
    0.1 Mojave '10
    0.3 Normals
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa '09
    1.0 Leopard Gecko

Thanks

If you must get a cheaper one, use it on the tubs, as the snakes can move around to thermoregulate themselves if the temps aren't just right. Get this rather of the other two you mentioned. As it could normally be used for live snakes, I see no reason it has to change just because you're breeding (though better is always nice). The incubator definitely needs something better, though. Again, Herpstat is cheaper than the Helix, and proportional. Why is the Helix so recommended when the Herpstat is cheaper and has great reviews? I'm sorta in the market and have my eye on a Herpstat.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks

any more advice anyone?
    1.0 Pastel '10
    1.0 Pinstripe '10
    1.0 Cinnamon '10