Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,373

3 members and 3,370 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    This was the beginning

And now the upgrade

A close up of our new metal covers

Thanks
    Infirmary
    I like those can you give some info on how you built them or maybe some more pictures of the tub and top pulled out from rack. How do you keep them on?

~ Karl
    Last edited by KLMuller; 11-10-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    ~Karl

Thanks

This style of cover is screwed into 2x4 supports. Two supports per side, you can see the front supports in the picture. Then we add additional covers 11 inches apart. It is a very easy way to make a rack. All we needed was three 8' long 2x4's and four covers to make this rack. Then the tubs slide in and out and the cover stays in place. In the middle of the cover is the food bin and also where we have the water bottles. The food bin acts like a stop that prevents the tubs from sliding all the way out. This frees up both hands when you are grabbing the rodents. The food bin can be removed when it is time to clean the tub and then the tub will slide right out of the top.

The tubs are large concrete mixing tubs from HD.

The metal covers were designed to fix tight over the top of the tubs and then wrap around the edges of the tubs forming a channel that allows the tub to slide in and out.

The above tops are made from 8 pieces of metal that are riveted together to form this top. First there are 4 pieces riveted together to form the lower frame. Then a piece of wire cloth is set on top of the lower frame. Then the upper frame is set on top of the wire cloth and then riveted to the bottom frame. After about 20 rivets, the cover is complete. The back part of lower frame has a small flap the locks the cover in place at the back of the cover. Then the front of the cover is held down by the weight of the cover and also with the addition weight of the food in the food bin.

We have covers that fit both small and large size concrete tubs from HD.

The above food hopper was just made and will be in testing for a few weeks. As you can see by the picture, this hopper hangs over the inside edge of the tub. This will help get food to the babies that aren't big enough to reach the food on top of the tub. No more having to place food in the bedding at the bottom of the tub. This food hopper will be used in the DIY wood style rack systems.

Any other questions please let me know. Thanks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infirmary For This Useful Post:

KLMuller (11-18-2011),wolfy-hound (11-18-2011)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Nice work John............... got your own shear and brake or plasma table??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Wow, I'd love to put food hoppers in my bins for the grow-outs. Great idea!!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Infirmary,

That is a really nice setup. I do a little metal fabricating on cars and trucks and if you built all of that i say bravo! looks very nice, Kudos to you!
    0.1 wifey, 1.1 twins, 1.2 Mojave, 0.1 het hypo, 0.5 normal, 1.1 Pastel, 1.1 Spider, 0.3 Het Albino, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Albino KSB, 2.2 Het pied, 0.1 Pastel Het pied, 1.0 Ghost/Hypo, 1.0 PH Albino Cal King, 0.0.1 sun conure, 1.1 normal fat tail gecko, 0.1 Rat Terrorist named Jenny

Thanks

Re: post your rodent breeding set-up!

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Nice work John............... got your own shear and brake or plasma table??
    Thanks. This parts are made with a brake and turret punch. Not my equipment. Wish it was.

wolfy-hound

Wow, I'd love to put food hoppers in my bins for the grow-outs. Great idea!!
    Thanks. I think the food hopper will save a lot of food in the long run. If you are interested in some, I could add some more to my order.

SHROP

Infirmary,

That is a really nice setup. I do a little metal fabricating on cars and trucks and if you built all of that i say bravo! looks very nice, Kudos to you!
    Thanks Shrop. We came up with the designs and had to assemble all the parts but had another party manufacture the parts.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I was thinking I'd try making some hoppers from wire, but I wouldn't mind a couple of those, depending on price, of course!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    What kind of cost do you have on the hoppers?

Thanks

Re: post your rodent breeding set-up!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    I was thinking I'd try making some hoppers from wire, but I wouldn't mind a couple of those, depending on price, of course!
    I will work on getting some prices together next week and get back to you. Thanks for the interest.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast