Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

1 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Heat mat vs Lamp

My BP shed was horrible. It didnt come off in once piece like everywhere I have read said it should. I have a 55 gallon glass tank. I use a lamp to heat everything. Should I get a mat, if so where do I get one that says the temp. The humdity is stays around 50 but I've also read that the gauge I have can be very inaccurate. He has a dent in his eye and I heard that was from dehydration. Any advise would help. thanks

Registered User OzarkMountainBalls's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Heat mat vs Lamp

I think you have answered your own question. Mats are better IMHO. As well a dented eye and a bad shed=dehydration. Do your best to keep the humidity up. Mist a few extra times a day. When your ball goes into blue i usually try to step my humidity up even more. Add more mists a day and additional water bowls. If you have to continue using a lamp try to put a large bowl of water underneath of it. Personally i have found that this helps cut down on the humidity loss of a heat lamp.

Good luck,
    Bill

Protect our rights!!
    My Crew
    4.7 Great Ball Pythons!!
    0.0.1 Boa constrictor ~ Petie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OzarkMountainBalls For This Useful Post:

Mindgamejunkie17 (07-20-2010)

Thanks

I had my first in a 50 gal too. It wasn't long before I ditched the heat lamp. You want one that takes up about 30% of the cage. So, near the biggest you can find. I found out putting a damp towel over 2/3 of the cage helps a lot. Be careful though, it's a breeding ground for bacteria. So, change it often. Good luck. I try and get my humidity up to around 70% for sheds.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

My goodness, I woud ditch the 50 gal. Tubs are best, but at most a glass tank should be a 20 gal. Maybe 2/3 the snakes length long and 1/3 wide. In the husbandry section is a sticky about glass tank setups. That should do you good. In short, I say

Get a plastic tub
    Get flexwatt
    Get a thermostat
    Get a thermometer

Set them somewhere like so:

substrate
    thermometer probe
    bottom of tub
    thermostat probe
    flexwatt

Use the reading of the thermometer to set the thermostat. That's the same whether you're on glass or plastic, Flexwatt or heating pad. Your problems are coming from the giant space you're trying to maintain and the fact that it's probably open on top, allowing lots of heat and moisture to float on out. You can also cover the top with something to keep the humidity in. Pieces of cardboard wrapped in tinfoil will work and are adjustable.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks

Try giving him a warm bath if there's any shed left. He'll also drink during the bath if he so pleases. We use a fogger on full blast daily at the first signs of shedding. We have something similar to this and it kicks butt. You just have to make sure it always has water when it's on or it might burn out. We use heat lamps and place a large water bowl under them. Try getting a digital thermometer and hygrometer. I think we have a Fluker's one in our beardie tank and it works well.
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maverickgtr For This Useful Post:

franken_stein (07-22-2010)