Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

3 members and 3,332 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Male or Female ...

I was reading/looking through threads and i noticed alot of people, when their eggs are hatching and they get the morph they want, alot of them say I HOPE ITS A BOY, .... Why would you want a male more then a female?

does this have something to do with the genetic aspect or personal prefernce??

Thanks

Re: Male or Female ...

Because then they can breed the male back to the female for the super versions .. or just so they can have a male to breed to their females in general.

If the morph hatching has a powerhouse stack of genetics .. then with a male you simply need to just wait till next season to breed him to your other females.. while if you have a female hatching, yes females are great but it takes around 3 years or so to get them up to size and then you're going to have to find another male of that specific morph you wanted to breed to her.

so simply.. male son of that specific morph .. bred to female mother of that same specific morph you wanted.. = fastest way to make more or better versions of that morph

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CeLLLLL For This Useful Post:

BlueCinder (07-18-2010)

Thanks

Depending on what you are trying to achieve in your personal breeding this could mean a few different things.

1st Males take less time to Maturity, Meaning they can breed sooner.

2nd Depending on the genetics of the morph i.e. Dominant, Co-Dominant, Recessive. Greatly increases chances for creating more like morphs sooner.

3rd Females take up to 5 years worse case to breed depending on eating habits and husbandry also.

4th A male morph can thereby breed many normal females which are much cheaper full grown and create more viable offspring for future crosses.

5th Last but not least if the morph comes out male. There is a good chance if the timing is right that the male could breed back to the mother sooner, around next season and help the breeder prove out the mutation created.

Hope this helps and if I missed anything I am sure someone will chime in.

Peace, J

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jallenfl For This Useful Post:

BlueCinder (07-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jallenfl View Post
    Depending on what you are trying to achieve in your personal breeding this could mean a few different things.

1st Males take less time to Maturity, Meaning they can breed sooner.

2nd Depending on the genetics of the morph i.e. Dominant, Co-Dominant, Recessive. Greatly increases chances for creating more like morphs sooner.

3rd Females take up to 5 years worse case to breed depending on eating habits and husbandry also.

4th A male morph can thereby breed many normal females which are much cheaper full grown and create more viable offspring for future crosses.

5th Last but not least if the morph comes out male. There is a good chance if the timing is right that the male could breed back to the mother sooner, around next season and help the breeder prove out the mutation created.

Hope this helps and if I missed anything I am sure someone will chime in.

Peace, J
    very well said.. haha

Thanks

Thanks Guys,GREATLY APPRECIATED that makes alot of sense now.
    Im still learning

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

It really depends on the project your doing also.

We have male clown breeders and will be breeding co-dom females this next season
    and will be crossing all fingers and toes that we get a bunch of female co-dom het clowns to raise up.
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 07-18-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Jerry Robertson