Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

1 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A snake has such a small head, I wonder about its brain

I question the notion that a ball python can be tamed. Part of this question lies in the [subjective] definition of a "tame" animal. I have handled some extremely tame ball pythons, as well as some docile red tails. However, I quesiton the ones that are actually aggressive, and the assertion that with frequent handling, they can be tamed.

I have what would be considered an aggressive baby ball python, and I wonder if even with frequent handling, she could ever be tamed.

I wonder if it is just hardwired into their nature. Once aggressive, always aggressive, so to speak.

Once tame, always tame.

Does this assumption hold any validity? I'd like feedback from handlers of both "mellow" and [relatively] aggressive BP's.

While my bp has calmed down a little bit in the months since buying her, I feel compelled to wonder if she will ever be as tame as a bp who rarely, if ever, attempts to bite its handler.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences.
    Last edited by EvesFriend; 07-18-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: A snake has such a small head, I wonder about its brain

I don't think snakes are tame. They are tolerant simply because they eventually identify your scent as "non-threat". I tend to believe in their world, things are identified as "food", "not food", "threat", "not threat", "secure", "not secure", "mate", "not mate". But I also believe that they are capable of moods to some degree...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

qinw (07-19-2010)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I have 12 bps now, and at least half of them have bitten me at one point, and two of them kept it up for a good 6 months or more. I think a lot of new hatchlings bite because they're hungry, and they don't know better; and some of them keep biting even as they get older because they're more fearful; and some yearlings and juveniles continue to bite because they're just plain old ornery. But all of mine have grown out of it, including Mr. Nibbles and Miss Pissy Pewter. I think 98% of them grow out of it, just because it's not the way adult ball pythons operate.

And I think weekly handling does help, especially when they're young. I think it helps them accept humans as part of their environment, so they don't stress too much. And that's what really makes them "tame". A wild-caught adult can be sweet as pumpkin pie, but still be too stressed to eat.

(I don't necessarily believe in domesticated ball pythons, but I do believe in tame ones. But I think we're splitting hairs on the definition of the word, and the real answer is: yes. Some of them take a year about it. But she'll chill out eventually.)
    Last edited by loonunit; 07-18-2010 at 03:15 AM.
    -Jackie Monk

Thanks

I don't think a snake can be considered tame. Nothing like a horse, I'm not sure you can call most domesticated animals tame, some yes. The dog and cat, but if you let a cat run, they can become feral and lose their trust of people.

I think they are basic animals, feed them, give them a decent environment and they will tolerate you.

Even a long term, kept snake (meaning more than 10 years) has been known to bite at one time or another. Not saying that all will bite, but some will, so it tends to make you think they don't really have the capacity to be tamed.

Jim Smith

Thanks

I do believe snakes can become tame to a certain degree, because when looking up tame snakes do fit into some of the listed definitions and adjectives listed.

As Vypyrz said most likely they register things as a threat or no threat. Food or no food. Their minds are simple and their learned behaviors are minute if any at all.
    Most all is instinct. And they have triggers as far as when to go off that instinct,

Just like a pitbull, snakes can be tamed to a certain level but in certain situations they can snap just like that. Because beyond our efforts to "domesticate" and rid them of their instincts...the instincts will always be there harboring and chances are at some point something will trigger them.

Thanks

Just like a pitbull, snakes can be tamed to a certain level but in certain situations they can snap just like that. Because beyond our efforts to "domesticate" and rid them of their instincts...the instincts will always be there harboring and chances are at some point something will trigger them.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to go off topic I little, but I have to say that comparison really isnt fair. Poor breeding and poor handling can contribute to undesirable responses in any of our domesticated animals, not just pitbulls. Singling them out and comparing them to the more basic instincts of something like a ball python contributes more to the stereo type than is warranted. They are more a product of their environment and not so much simply wired -that way-. I could go into it deeper, but since thats not what this thread is about....

That said I agree with Vyperz
    food, not food, threat, not threat.
    ------------------
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Bumblebee

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sariel For This Useful Post:

bad-one (07-18-2010),cinderbird (07-18-2010),GoBoilers (07-18-2010),jben (07-18-2010),stratus_020202 (07-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Generationshell View Post
    I do believe snakes can become tame to a certain degree, because when looking up tame snakes do fit into some of the listed definitions and adjectives listed.

As Vypyrz said most likely they register things as a threat or no threat. Food or no food. Their minds are simple and their learned behaviors are minute if any at all.
    Most all is instinct. And they have triggers as far as when to go off that instinct,

Just like a pitbull, snakes can be tamed to a certain level but in certain situations they can snap just like that. Because beyond our efforts to "domesticate" and rid them of their instincts...the instincts will always be there harboring and chances are at some point something will trigger them.
    Pitbulls are no more dangerous than a Rottweiller if bred and raised properly. The human race has made the pitbull into what is is today. I won't go into that here, but a snake and a pitbull comparison isn't a fair comparison.

Many have to realize that snake uses it's mouth for everything that other animals have other appendages to use. So instead of pushing you away with an arm, or a leg, they strike out at you. When they're hungry, they don't grab their food with a hand, they grab it with their mouths. Everything revolves around their mouth. So many can take this as agressiveness.

Just one man's opinion.
    Jim Smith

10. The Following User Says Thank You to j_h_smith For This Useful Post:

bad-one (07-18-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loonunit View Post
    I have 12 bps now, and at least half of them have bitten me at one point, and two of them kept it up for a good 6 months or more. I think a lot of new hatchlings bite because they're hungry, and they don't know better; and some of them keep biting even as they get older because they're more fearful; and some yearlings and juveniles continue to bite because they're just plain old ornery. But all of mine have grown out of it, including Mr. Nibbles and Miss Pissy Pewter. I think 98% of them grow out of it, just because it's not the way adult ball pythons operate.

And I think weekly handling does help, especially when they're young. I think it helps them accept humans as part of their environment, so they don't stress too much. And that's what really makes them "tame". A wild-caught adult can be sweet as pumpkin pie, but still be too stressed to eat.

(I don't necessarily believe in domesticated ball pythons, but I do believe in tame ones. But I think we're splitting hairs on the definition of the word, and the real answer is: yes. Some of them take a year about it. But she'll chill out eventually.)
    Actually, I think hatchlings bite more out of survival. You're a huge heat emitting predator in their eyes - until they learn that your intentions are NOT to eat them, they are doing their best to scare you off.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

MissDixie (07-18-2010)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Actually pit bulls score on temperament tests at the same exact level as border collies.

Don't confuse temperament with tameness. Temperament is inherent. Taming is a form of training. (Domestication involves breeding a species for an increase in good temperament and tolerance of a captive environment with human interaction).

A tame animal has been TAUGHT to trust humans. Many ball pythons have a naturally docile temperament and don't even have to be tamed. Others have a more nervous disposition and become tame as they are worked with.
    A very few ball pythons have a bad temperament, and cannot be trusted even if they are tamed as much as possible.

I wouldn't write off a ball python as having a truly bad temperament until they're a year old, though.

Ball pythons have incredibly tiny brains. Remember, reptile brains don't take up as much space in their head as bird and mammal brains do, so their brain is much smaller than you think it is. However, it takes a lot less brain to do some amazingly complex things than you might realize.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

bad-one (07-18-2010),jben (07-18-2010),Sariel (07-18-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I wouldn't write off a ball python as having a truly bad temperament until they're a year old, though.
    Would you say, then, that a ball python that has not been fully tamed (can't trust it around your kids) by the age of a year will never be fully tamed? Or can a snake still calm down with frequent, gentle handling even past the age of one year? I'm just curious because the little guy I have still goes into strike mode when I open his tub. He's better about hissing and he's ok when I hold him, but he's fast approaching his first birthday and I doubt I'll have him at the level my other snake is by then.
    Humans: 0.1 Amanda, 1.0 Husband, 2.3 Children
    Ball Pythons: 2.2 "Classics" - Elmo (RIP), Mr. Noodle, Zoe, and Molly, 1.0 Pastel - Oscar, 1.0 Pinstripe het Hypo - Romeo, 1.0 Enchi - Eccleston 1.0 Mojave - Mr. Pillows, 1.0 Mojave Enchi - Commander Pumpkin Guns, 1.0 Black Pastel - Count Chocula 0.1 Butter het Hypo - Kerry Gold, 0.1 Spinner - Lucinda, 0.1 Spider - Luna, 0.1 Orange Ghost - Juliet 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic - Snow, and 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi YB 50% het Hypo 1.0 Bumblebelly - Ted Legend
    Other Snakes: 7.8 Boas, 1.1 Reticulated Pythons - Little Sister and Giovanni, 2.1 Blood Pythons - Gonzo, Snugglewumps and Narcissa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa - Blossom
    Lizards: 0.0.1 BTS - Smaug, 0.1 Bearded Dragon - Kilgharrah, 0.1 Leopard Gecko - Mavis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast